SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crap, I guess I'm buying a few of those :eek:

Drop Stop - The Original Patented Car Seat Gap Filler (AS SEEN ON Shark Tank) - Set of 2 and Slide Free Pad and Light https://a.co/d/8WX05gy

I have these and they work great.
My 2013 GS came with these built in. Too bad the LX/LC design was a few years before they came up with that.

What part on a Land Cruiser is the "air pump"?

My neighbor said his "air pump" went out .. and he does not have a air compressor it is completely OEM

He may be referring to the air-injection pumps.

1659650469201.png

They can be bypassed... Link

Thanks !!

Is there any trick(s) to removing the A pillar trim on the inside of a 2016+?
All the videos and posts I have seen don’t show the speaker in the A-pillar.

I assume it’s just removing the two bolts inside the grab-handle and then popping the trim off and then there is extra wire to enable some movement, but wanted to ask to make sure I didn’t damage anything.

(I’m running a dash-cam wire down to the passenger side fuse box.)

Is there any trick(s) to removing the A pillar trim on the inside of a 2016+?
All the videos and posts I have seen don’t show the speaker in the A-pillar.

I assume it’s just removing the two bolts inside the grab-handle and then popping the trim off and then there is extra wire to enable some movement, but wanted to ask to make sure I didn’t damage anything.

(I’m running a dash-cam wire down to the passenger side fuse box.)
You got it.

I have a 2013 LX. It has the cabin filter recirculation button that supposedly cleans the air better than just the normal recirculating button. Stupid description, I know, but I'm assuming you know exactly what I'm talking about (pic below).

Is this a separate filter from the normal cabin filter that is easily accessible through the glove box? If it's not separate, what is it doing differently to warrant a button? Any recommendation for filters other than just "a clean one, who cares?"

Also, if you're reading this, make sure your system is in recirculating mode before changing the regular cabin filter.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 10.15.25 PM.png

I prefer the activated carbon filters rather than the flimsy thin ones the dealer sells. They are better at filtering out odors and particulates.

EPAuto CP285 (CF10285) Premium... Amazon product ASIN B014TYRQUY

I have a 2013 LX. It has the cabin filter recirculation button that supposedly cleans the air better than just the normal recirculating button. Stupid description, I know, but I'm assuming you know exactly what I'm talking about (pic below).

Is this a separate filter from the normal cabin filter that is easily accessible through the glove box? If it's not separate, what is it doing differently to warrant a button? Any recommendation for filters other than just "a clean one, who cares?"

Also, if you're reading this, make sure your system is in recirculating mode before changing the regular cabin filter.

View attachment 3085388
Same filter. When you engage, the mode switches to recirculating if it wasn’t already and forces more air out the top vents, so the air blowing in your face is filtered air. It’s on a timer and reverts on its own after a few minutes.

I don’t know how well it works. I’ve started trying to use it when there is skunk smell or something on road.

Same filter. When you engage, the mode switches to recirculating if it wasn’t already and forces more air out the top vents, so the air blowing in your face is filtered air. It’s on a timer and reverts on its own after a few minutes.

I don’t know how well it works. I’ve started trying to use it when there is skunk smell or something on road.
It works well when you pick up a smell like skunk or coal power plant or sewage plant. Even if your system was on recirc already it does rapidly help dissipate the smell. I think it ask cranks up the fan speed to force more air through the filter faster, which might be why it seems to help even if you were already in recirc mode

Why is this hose on my throttle body all white? It's not brittle and the hose next to it is fine. The white stuff is on both sides and almost reminds me of a frozen pipe. Some of it rubs off, but not much. Coolant maybe?

[edit] For those astute individuals scratching your head at my photo, that throttle body is from my 100 series. I also have a 200 and spend more time reading this forum and my fingers/mouse automatically led me here. :)

IMG_7762.JPEG

Last edited:
Why is this hose on my throttle body all white? It's not brittle and the hose next to it is fine. The white stuff is on both sides and almost reminds me of a frozen pipe. Some of it rubs off, but not much. Coolant maybe?

View attachment 3086186
20220814_103627.jpg

The hose from my radiator looks the same. No idea if it's always looked like this as I've just recently taken over servicing myself after the dealer freebies ran out.

20220814_103649.jpg

Also while in there looked at coolant level and was down toward low. Last dealer service was 4k miles ago. Suppose they just didn't top it off? Or maybe checked it when warm instead of cold? I can find no sign of a leak anywhere although I admittedly don't really know where to look for the valley seal leak so many speak of. I've only git 49k on it so seems very early for that leak too. For now I topped it off and will monitor level.

View attachment 3086604
The hose from my radiator looks the same. No idea if it's always looked like this as I've just recently taken over servicing myself after the dealer freebies ran out.

View attachment 3086606
Also while in there looked at coolant level and was down toward low. Last dealer service was 4k miles ago. Suppose they just didn't top it off? Or maybe checked it when warm instead of cold? I can find no sign of a leak anywhere although I admittedly don't really know where to look for the valley seal leak so many speak of. I've only git 49k on it so seems very early for that leak too. For now I topped it off and will monitor level.
That level is normal when cold.

That engine is cold based on the coolant level. Looks like normal condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom