SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like I was conflating ratings. The Deka has an RC of 175min. The AGM listed above is 220min. I was just trying to figure out the reasoning behind paying 4x for the battery.

I guess everyone has their own rationale for things they buy, but I just choose to run one battery and my choice may just come down to peace of mind. Its a premium battery with solid specs and a great warranty that has served me well in multiple vehicles so that is my personal justification. I also don't find the price very high comparatively. I just had to replace my wifes IS350 battery in a pinch, and the group24 duralast gold was $220. Would I trust that battery to run a winch or fridge, camp lights over night and start the next morning in the middle of nowhere? No, but I have confidence the X2 will.

I've searched and I've found related threads but not any that address this specific topic: spare tire storage trade-offs.

I've been rolling with a non-full-size spare and only a repair kit for too long and an upcoming trip to Moab is going to make me get right. I see two options, mainly because of budget constraints. A rear bumper is not in the cards and a hitch mount would probably get destroyed (and is expensive still).

1. Full-size spare secured to my Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform the correct way (straps and such). A full size spare is a 285/75R18 Kenda Klever R/T with either a Tundra steelie or TRD wheel weighs in the neighborhood of 100#. I wouldn't leave it up there always, only when I'm out on extended trips to places where having a spare is either required or strongly recommended (like Moab). I'd always have help loading/unloading and I could enter it into my tire rotation for longevity.

VERSUS

2. Biggest spare I can fit in the stock spare tire location. I could probably squeeze an under-inflated 295/70R18 in there with some modification. This is a 34.4" tire versus the 34.8" tires I have now.

So that's my stupid question. Which one? Or is there something else I have not considered? Thanks.

I've searched and I've found related threads but not any that address this specific topic: spare tire storage trade-offs.

I've been rolling with a non-full-size spare and only a repair kit for too long and an upcoming trip to Moab is going to make me get right. I see two options, mainly because of budget constraints. A rear bumper is not in the cards and a hitch mount would probably get destroyed (and is expensive still).

1. Full-size spare secured to my Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform the correct way (straps and such). A full size spare is a 285/75R18 Kenda Klever R/T with either a Tundra steelie or TRD wheel weighs in the neighborhood of 100#. I wouldn't leave it up there always, only when I'm out on extended trips to places where having a spare is either required or strongly recommended (like Moab). I'd always have help loading/unloading and I could enter it into my tire rotation for longevity.

VERSUS

2. Biggest spare I can fit in the stock spare tire location. I could probably squeeze an under-inflated 295/70R18 in there with some modification. This is a 34.4" tire versus the 34.8" tires I have now.

So that's my stupid question. Which one? Or is there something else I have not considered? Thanks.
If you can fit a deflated (just make sure the bead is seated) lt285/75r18 in the stock spare location thats what id do.....as long as you have an air compressor handy. I prefer to do a five tire rotation so having a matching spare is ideal.

Last edited:
If you can fit a deflated (just make sure the bead is seated) lt285/75r18 in the stock spare location thats what id do.....as long as you have an air compressor handy. I prefer to do a five tire rotation so having a matching spare would ideal.
Can anyone confirm if this is possible? I got some info from this thread: Fitting a Big Fat Spare - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fitting-a-big-fat-spare.975784/

I guess I could test it out with one of my existing tires but... 🥱

I have a 'book' 34.76" diameter tire in the spare area. It's got less than new tread though, 10/32nd if I remember, down from 19/32nd new. They measure 34+ mounted and weighted.
Tires are so much like snowflakes you're probably best off trying what you've got to see if it'll go.

Only Jerrys put their spare tire on the roof.

Whatever you do, I'm in favor of a full size matching spare.

Agreed. The roof wouldn't be my first option, but isn't a bad option either if you don't want to carry it the rest of the time. Yes, it will change the dynamics of the vehicle ever so slightly, but I've done hells revenge with a rooftop tent (50+ lbs more than a tire) and many others rock rooftop tents on difficult trails.

Only Jerrys put their spare tire on the roof.
Yeah, never understood the rationale of putting a spare on the roof, especially one that weighs upwards of 90-100lbs.and then trying to get it off without damaging the truck or having it roll down a hill.

Find a cheap used smaller tire and put that under the truck for now. For the record I think even up to 3% difference is considered totally fine to run normally. You can fit at least 285/70r18 under the truck. If you shred a tire in Moab use that to get you off the trail and then plan to go to a local tire shop at the end of the day and buy a new correctly sized tire. At 10 mph or less for the day the mismatched spare won’t cause any more harm than all the turning you do at low speed anyway. Where it generates a lot of heat is a high speed, so keep it slow once you’re done and be prepared to replace it same day at whatever the local tire shop charges.

The above it what I would do if I had 35s and no rear bumper.

VERSUS

I ran a 295/70 underneath before I got a bumper. I don’t think the < 2% difference will matter much.

1661214421269.png

I ran a 295/70 underneath before I got a bumper. I don’t think the < 2% difference will matter much.

View attachment 3094430
I'll try fitting a low PSI full size underneath. If that doesn't work, then I may get a cheaper (looking at a Yokohama Geolander AT for $245) tire with a Tundra steelie or something.

Whatever you do, I'm in favor of a full size matching spare.
Agreed. The roof wouldn't be my first option, but isn't a bad option either if you don't want to carry it the rest of the time. Yes, it will change the dynamics of the vehicle ever so slightly, but I've done hells revenge with a rooftop tent (50+ lbs more than a tire) and many others rock rooftop tents on difficult trails.
Yeah, never understood the rationale of putting a spare on the roof, especially one that weighs upwards of 90-100lbs.and then trying to get it off without damaging the truck or having it roll down a hill.
I really prefer a full size so if fitting it in the spare space doesn't work, I may just rock a tire on the roof temporarily. I have help to put it up and remove it, so I won't be attempting this solo. The only other stuff I have up there is a solar panel, a set of maxtrax, and my dual band antenna. No one is riding my backseat on my upcoming trip so I may just fold a 2nd row seat up and strap it down inside.

We used to haul the spare tire inside the back of our rally car, bolted to the roll cage. :)

Do you happen to be running the Slee billet terminals with yours? I know they are extended for the placement on larger batteries so I wasn't sure if having the extra posts shift the position enough that they would be incompatible

So the answer to this question is no. It doesn't shift the posts enough, but the additional threaded posts interfere with the Slee billet terminals. Looks like I'm going to exchange this one for the Odyssey HEPPC2150T-M (ODX-AGM31A) which looks to be the same as the one Slee recommends in their instructions (ODX-AGM31M) except it only has the single posts rather than the normal posts and threaded posts found on the 31M. Not in stock so am currently running factory battery in the Slee 31 tray with the factory tie down. Feels pretty solid and no trips planned so hopefully will be ok until the new one comes in

Edit: Odyssey battery OOS, but able to be placed on backorder. They said minimum of 3 weeks, otherwise they will call me when it gets it sometime in the next century

Last edited:
If you can fit a deflated (just make sure the bead is seated) lt285/75r18 in the stock spare location thats what id do.....as long as you have an air compressor handy. I prefer to do a five tire rotation so having a matching spare is ideal.

Can anyone confirm if this is possible? I got some info from this thread: Fitting a Big Fat Spare - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fitting-a-big-fat-spare.975784/

I guess I could test it out with one of my existing tires but... 🥱

I have a 'book' 34.76" diameter tire in the spare area. It's got less than new tread though, 10/32nd if I remember, down from 19/32nd new. They measure 34+ mounted and weighted.
Tires are so much like snowflakes you're probably best off trying what you've got to see if it'll go.
Here is a 285/75R18 Kenda Klever R/T shoved in there. It is tight against the panhard and the hitch mount at 17 PSI. I assume being so tight against the panhard will create issues, correct?

spare01.jpg

spare02.jpg

spare03.jpg

spare04.jpg

spare05.jpg

Isn’t the Tpms warning going to be permanently on if the pressure wise below 30psi?

@dubyahard - I wouldn’t have the tire touching the panhard as that needs to move as your suspension cycles.

@grinchy I’m not sure if there is a lower limit on the TPMS but if you reset the TPMS by holding the button under the dash it should reset the default pressures to whatever your tires currently are and then only light up when your pressure drops 20 or 25% below that (I can’t recall which).

The plastic piece adjacent to the sun roof, in what I would call the roof rail track has recently popped up a bit. Anyone know of a common use adhesive to secure it back flush, and/or another way to fix it?

TIA.

IMG_2242.jpeg

IMG_2241.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom