Builds Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Motor in.

20200201_143009_HDR.jpg

20200201_113657_HDR.jpg

20200201_103527_HDR.jpg

20200201_113643_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Motor and trans in. Now the fun begins to do all the hoses and wiring. I'm glad I saved my OEM crossmember because the Iron Pig crossmember is way too big and heavy to jack up together. Still waiting on the parts needed to finish the transfer case. Once the TC is complete, the transfer case and thr Iron Pig crossmember armor go back on

20200201_143018_HDR.jpg

20200201_114109_HDR.jpg

20200201_155548_HDR.jpg

20200201_155542_HDR.jpg

Start it already :flipoff2:

Lol. :bounce::bounce2::steer: I want to reeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllllly bad.

But I'm going slow and will quadruple check all hoses, bolts and the prime the system before I will crank it over with fuel and spark. No boom ticky boom with this motor. Spent way to much time, blood, sweat and tears for me to jack this up.

I will however be doing a 1st start video for everyone to hear her purr. It'll be pretty loud since I wont have the exhaust hooked up. No open exhaust revving. My neighbors will hate me.

I'll will most likely have my truck towed to my buddies shop to finish the exhaust work. He has as pipe bender and expander at the shop I can use and everything I need to get it fixed and welded. My buddy has my car trailer at his house right now so either I have him come tow me or I call AAA for a quick tow.

Last edited:
Little more work done. Lots of connecting randomness. Hoses, power steering, fuel filter, random wires, belts, fan, ECU and starter today. Still a long way to go before first start. I should be able to have first start by this weekend.

20200202_172835.jpg

Nice work! Curious why you didn't install the trans and engine mated.

1ton cherry. 2 people. Slopped driveway. Don't want to remove sway.

Don't want to damaged anything. It was already heavy enough and hard to get the engine into the motor and frame mount. Struggled for 1.5 hours. Mainly a ton of beer breaks

Then my other buddies showed up and we had 3 people to stab in the trans with 2 floor jacks. That was kind of sketchy. I need to find a good used tranny jack for the future.

1ton cherry. 2 people. Slopped driveway. Don't want to remove sway.

Don't want to damaged anything. It was already heavy enough and hard to get the engine into the motor and frame mount. Struggled for 1.5 hours. Mainly a ton of beer breaks

Then my other buddies showed up and we had 3 people to stab in the trans with 2 floor jacks. That was kind of sketchy. I need to find a good used tranny jack for the future.

motorcycle jack and ratchet straps work well. They pop up used on craigslist often.

Photo- chair quarterback:

Is the air intake hose to the turbo touching the air filter chamber? You want a 1/2” space or it will rattle in reverse/ low rpm.

I clocked my turbo another 1/2” towards the engine, gained a bit more space for the throttle cable.

Photo- chair quarterback:

Is the air intake hose to the turbo touching the air filter chamber? You want a 1/2” space or it will rattle in reverse/ low rpm.

I clocked my turbo another 1/2” towards the engine, gained a bit more space for the throttle cable.
Not sure if it's touching but I will check tomorrow to make sure there's a little bit of a gap. Might need to trim more if it's going to rattle. My Turbo is clocked as far as it will go. I placed the turbo on the J pipe and snugged the bolts down. Then I put all the hoses and applied pressure downward and tighten the turbine housing bolts. It won't clock further down at this point.

I ran into the same problem this guy did. need help! dealer keeps ordering a wrong snap ring for Viscous coupler

The part number in the parts catalog system is incorrect. I ordered all 12 snap rings listed in the part list and they were all the wrong size. They were 41-42mm instead of the 34mm it needed to be.

I went to my local dealer and tried to return my parts. I was then directed to the parts manager at the dealership and he told me that's my fault for ordering the wrong part number online and there's no refunds.

I explained again to the parts manager that it wasn't because I ordered the wrong part number, it was the parts (catalog) system sold the incorrect parts for the VC. He said that's highly unusual that the system is incorrect. I urged him to look it up in the system so he can validate my claim. He then asked for my VIN. I said well I have a Lexus LX450 but it's exactly the same thing as a 97 Land Cruiser. He said my problem is you bought Toyota parts and you need to go to Lexus because they are different parts than Toyota. He started to go off about how customers come in all the time trying to buy Toyota parts for the Lexus... etc... I said, yes I totally agree with you that most people don't know what they are doing but I'm telling you the part for this is incorrect in the computer and it wasn't a mistake on my end. He said he can't look it up if I can't supply a VIN #. In this case I happen to own a 93 cruiser and I said it's the same thing so use this VIN so you can look up the part. He entered it in and looked up the 4x4 transfer case section and blew up the exploded diagram and what do you know it matched to exactly the print out I bought in. He proceeded to verify my numbers against my invoice and all 12 matched down to the exact digit to what was on his computer screen. I then said look at the part number on these bags, they all match but they are clearly way to large of a inner diameter to work with the VC. Yes I brought my VC and my tail housing with me to show exactly the difference .

He said that's really strange and this very rarely happens. He called someone at Toyota (research parts) to look up the part number and they saw the same numbers too but it was clearly not the right part. They said they will research this further and try to get the right part # for the snap ring. I asked for a refund since this was obviously not my fault and the catalog was wrong in this instance. The parts manager was cool and gave me a refund and said this usually doesn't happen and he hasn't seen something like this for 20+ years or something. Long story short is they will get back to me with the right part number for the VC snap ring.

I then went to a local transmission shop and they had a small assortment of snap rings available. I found one that fit the right diameter and they gave it to me for free (which is also really cool). I then went to my buddies shop to ask him if this is acceptable with this much slop in the VC and he said it'll work but not ideal. So we began to dig around for a random c-clip. We found one that was approx 86 thick which is the max thickness in the FSM. I popped it in and it fit like a glove. Zero slop with the VC now. It's got a number 5 on it. No idea what part number it is but it's a 100% OEM toyota part since all his shop does is specialize in 4x4 Toyota's. It's used but at least I got something that works and I'm happy!

20200204_160125-COLLAGE.jpg

Attached the down pipe, waste gate, turbo blanket, exhaust bracket and all the intake hoses. I need to tweak the hoses a bit more for better fitment.

Changed out the power steering hoses too since they look 20+ years old.

I also finally put everything back together in the tcase. The only thing I don't know how to do is the center locker motor. Do not know which way to push the locker gear (forward or backward)
The FSM says to lock it but it doesn't explain which way. I also dont remember if my motor is locked or unlocked. I need to power probe it tomorrow and figure it out.

Really close to 1st start. Maybe 2moro.

20200204_234358.jpg

20200204_200258.jpg

20200204_214650.jpg

20200204_191702.jpg

20200204_214647.jpg

No start today. Its to late at night to make that much noise. Also need to do final check when I have light to see everything.

Almost ready though, need to install condenser and trans cooler and add fluids.

I still have a long way to go before it drives as I need to install bumper and winch, plx and boost gauges, interior, switchpro and fix my rock lights, install drive shaft, wheels and manual hubs.

Last but not least fix the exhaust

20200205_224144.jpg

20200205_224023.jpg

I need to find a good used tranny jack for the future.

About 5 years ago I got this one from harbor freight on sale plus they let me use a coupon. I think I was out the door for $48 if I remember right. I normally don't buy Harbor Freight stuff or if I do I consider it disposable, which is kind of what I assumed this would be. I just need it to work to get my NV4500 out and back in my Cummins at the time. But this thing has been used to pull multiple trans of mine and buddies of mine. It's also a great extra hand for unloading heavy stuff like a 4x4labs bumper from my truck bed etc. Anyway, there may be better ones or better deals out there, but at less than 50 bucks it has served me tremendously well and has lasted well beyond my wildest dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom