Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once you get over denting the sides, not only will your 80 perform as well, if not better than your mini, you’ll be more comfy and look way more cool.... do you know for sure your rig is over 7k loaded. Mine is fully armored (by most standards anyway) and tips the scale at about 5800 unloaded. I like my set up with the spacers because I’m left with the option of letting it down an inch if I choose to when I’m too old to climb up in the cockpit. Haha I’m not towering giant.
I actually dont know what Crawler80 currently weighs. I forgot to stop by the trucker weight scale last night when I was near my buddies shop. There's one I can roll up and weigh myself really easy and its open 24/7 but it's better when its after hours so I don't hold up actual truckers trying to weigh their stuff.

I know for a fact that my Turbo80 weighed in at 7200 lbs because I weighed it.
4x4labs front and rear bumpers with the same swings with but on 35s. Dual DIY drawers I made with a sh... ton of spare parts and my 75qt DZ Dometic.
junkyard special heavy ass sliders and iron pig cross members
spare front and rear drive shafts
extra spindle, knuckle kit with bearings, alternator, starter, ecu, maf, ignitor, hoses, spark, plugs, oil, gear, atf, brake fluid etc. I got enough spare parts to almost build a 2nd 80. I'm weird about having spare parts because I always finding something that breaks.
Dual batts and inverter
Turbo 80 was at 3/4 tank gas (main) and empty on the LRA Aux.

This crap was left at home:
Atlas 46 KOH bag with more tools that most people have in their home tool boxes
1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, mini sawzall, 18v angle grinder, 12v drill and a 12v racthet impact and a ton of 18v and 12v batteries (tools got to be at least 50lbs itself)
Power tank
Ready Welder (20-30lbs) with 3 spooles of wire 2 steel and 1 alum.
I'm also the camp cook and bring a 40lb tote of kitchen stuff
I also bring a ton of other camp stuff

My mini weighed in at 5200 lbs no camping gear only spare parts.

@spyduh I'm in the same boat as you. Wheeled mini trucks and 4Runners for years, and than went 80.
I love my 80, but some trails here in Colorado fell way tighter in the 80 than in a mini/4Runner.
Anyway, my LX450 is on a 6" lift, 3linked front, 37's, etc..... I love it! It always fells stable.

Side note.... A handful of buddies and myself plan to run the Rubicon and Fordyce summer of 2021.

A few pics of my old rigs, and my LX

View attachment 2538336View attachment 2538337View attachment 2538338
The good fellas I ran dusy Ershim with want to run Fordyce in 21 also. We plan to go as early as possible after snow melt so as to avoid forest fires and stupid high heat. Something to consider.

The good fellas I ran dusy Ershim with want to run Fordyce in 21 also. We plan to go as early as possible after snow melt so as to avoid forest fires and stupid high heat. Something to consider.
Lookin to hit the trails mid to late July.
Dusy is definitely on my list as well, but that will happen later.

Me and my buddies wheeled the Con this year during the same Rubithon scheduled event even though it was offically canceled. We had a great time but it was reallllllly Smokey at times. Never seen it that bad ever. It was bad when we came back when the freeway was temp shutdown cause of the fires moving across.

We had a ton of wheeling trips canceled out early this yeay. Bad year for wheeling events. We did a bunch of smaller group trips.

I'm trying to get this Crawler80 ready for KOH this year. Worst case is I take the Turbo80 just to wheel around to spectate. Coming up fast in a month.

I'm trying to get my buddies interested in a Uncle Tom snow run and snow camp at Wentworth springs.

Last edited:
Lookin to hit the trails mid to late July.
Dusy is definitely on my list as well, but that will happen later.
Due to the fact this will be a light snow year, the trail will be super dry by late July and fires may already be an issue.

Due to the fact this will be a light snow year, the trail will be super dry by late July and fires may already be an issue.
Will have to see what happens.

One other point of data for comparison is my mini was at 31 or 32" (if I remember correctly) clearance at the middle of the frame (right behind the dual cross member). I had 36 Iroks and 35 and 37s on the mini. By far the easiest wheeling was when I stepped it up to 37. I would clear pretty much everything at Rubicon and Fordyce underneath. I'm going to have to pick different lines and learn how to wheel this fat pig that's for sure!
Was you Mini on a ten inch lift ? 31or 32" ? My wheeling Buddy's first gen 4runner on a 4" lift and 37s sets at 24" center of frame

1609332141614.png

Was on 4 inch all pro leafs. The rear I added a a cut down tundra overload leaf and ran 6.5 taco shackles to combat sag with gear.

See pic (post 24) of side by side of 80crawler vs mini crawler. Both on 37s. 80s empty and mini has spare parts (2 drive shafts, 2 axle and birfs, 2 knuckles 1 spindle, alt, starter, distri, ecu, and, igniter and ton of other parts loaded inside the cab)

There's just way more frme clearance on the mini. I could almost sit straight up under the mini. Made for easy drive shaft removal. Surprised no one ever stole the cat out of the truck. Some thieves did steal my Prius cat. Got rid of it now. But I picked up so many deals on MUD and Craigslist with that thing was great on gas.
Was you Mini on a ten inch lift ? 31or 32" ? My wheeling Buddy's first gen 4runner on a 4" lift and 37s sets at 24" center of frame

Last edited:
35s. 4 inside and 1 outside. That was the best parts runner ever.

I bought these tires and wheels from a MUD member. He rolled up in his 80 and I rolled up in my Prius. I bet he thought I was crazy. And yes he be right 😂.

But it only costed me $25 in gas and met him down at Harris Ranch rest stop on 5. That would have been $100 in the 80 or $70 in the minintruck. I took the appropriate parts hauler for this pickup job.

IMG_20170806_111053.jpg

Last edited:
Was on 4 inch all pro leafs. The rear I added a a cut down tundra overload leaf and ran 6.5 taco shackles to combat sag with gear.

See pic (post 24) of side by side of 80crawler vs mini crawler. Both on 37s. 80s empty and mini has spare parts (2 drive shafts, 2 axle and birfs, 2 knuckles 1 spindle, alt, starter, distri, ecu, and, igniter and ton of other parts loaded inside the cab)

Yep, I did look at that Picture, a couple of thing to consider, the bottom of the body on the mini is well above the bottom of the frame the sliders come straight out past the body the tilt up.
With the 80 the body is below the frame and then the sliders are below that. That a lot of lost clearance compared to the mini.
To make the 80 a better Rock crawler you need to chop the rockers and move the sliders up you also need to get the exhaust routed over the frame or you well be constantly getting hung up on it.

Last edited:
Yep, I did look at that Picture, a couple of thing to consider, the bottom of the body on the mini is well above the bottom of the frame the sliders come straight out past the body the tilt up.
With the 80 the body is below the frame and then the sliders are below that. That a lot of lost clearance compared to the mini.
To make the 80 a better Rock crawler you need to chop the rockers and move the sliders up you also need to get the exhaust routed over the frame or you well be constantly getting hung up on it.
Yup big difference in clearance. Ive been considering chopping the rockers and cutting thr sliders and rewelding them higher. Will give me at least 2 to 3in more.

The muffler has been changed by PO and its rocking a flowmaster. Much smaller and its tucked up pretty good. I do need to rebend the rear ext pipe. Whoever shop installed it did a terribe job. The hangers are in thee worst spots. I have to go in and reattach and weld in better hangers.

32” frame height? Are you sure? A solid 5” lift and half worn out true 37” tall tires has my team at about 22”. 10” difference with only a 4” lift and basically same size tire seems odd. I know the 80 frame rails are taller but damn. Apparently the mini frame was much higher up from the factory but with smaller wheel wells. That’s a huge difference.

32” frame height? Are you sure? A solid 5” lift and half worn out true 37” tall tires has my team at about 22”. 10” difference with only a 4” lift and basically same size tire seems odd. I know the 80 frame rails are taller but damn. Apparently the mini frame was much higher up from the factory but with smaller wheel wells. That’s a huge difference.
I cant remember 100%. I measured those frames and took those pictures about 3 to 4 months ago. I think I recall it being 31 ish inches. Can't figure it out now because I sold the Mini about a month ago

35s. 4 inside and 1 outside. That was the best parts runner ever.

I bought these tires and wheels from a MUD member. He rolled up in his 80 and I rolled up in my Prius. I bet he thought I was crazy. And yes he be right 😂.

But it only costed me $25 in gas and met him down at Harris Ranch rest stop on 5. That would have been $100 in the 80 or $70 in the minintruck. I took the appropriate parts hauler for this pickup job.

View attachment 2539301
Duh! That’s why they are frequently targeted by old homeless dudes for orgies.

Dirty Mike and The Boys.

Good work. When I welded up my Labs rear bumper I figured in the 37” tire. Now I’m thinking 40’s. What’s wrong here? 😂

Last edited:
Good work. When I welded up my Labs rear bumper I figured in the 37” tire. Now I’m thinking 40’s. What’s wrong here? 😂
40s is about the size you start breaking 80 axles. I might step it up to 38s in the future. But thats as big as I want to go.

Drilling those holes were not fun. 4x4labs square tube must be at least 1/4 thick. Maybe thicker. Took forver to drill through.

40s is about the size you start breaking 80 axles. I might step it up to 38s in the future. But thats as big as I want to go.

Drilling those holes were not fun. 4x4labs square tube must be at least 1/4 thick. Maybe thicker. Took forver to drill through.
Been Running 39 now for a year, The competitiveness in me make me always take the hard line. So far so good, I do run the RCV axles F&R so I never worry about the axle, it's the front 8" ring and pinion that I worry about 🥴

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom