split case value?

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I got this package dropped off at my door Monday. Opened it yesterday.

Case was apparantly shipped without bolts.:rolleyes: Not sure if it was even assembled when it was put into the box.

Anyhow, everything has moved around in there. There are a lot of metal shavings on the gears and gouges inside the case. Most are cosmetic, but a few might raise concern.

Now the case is at my doorstep, in this condition, I am conflicted. So I figured I'd just look for some imput.

One, would you buy this case for your own rig? Two, what would you expect to pay for a case in THIS condition [as opposed to a low-mileage, clean case]. TIA for your imput.

First pic [the way I found the box]
split01.JPG

Visit site
Man that is a bummer Mark. It looks as though it was probably fine prior to shipping and that it just wasn't packed very well or handled poorly with the shipping company. You have been doing this longer than I have and more than likely already have some issues with the case and the surfaces that may not be salvagable. As far as value I would say it is probably good for most parts and worth $150-175.

clint

Visit site
The thrust washer surface looks hammered so the case is worth whatever scrap aluminum is now. The guts could be salvaged but IMO the seller/shipper need a little smack down laid on'em.

Visit site
I would think the thrust bearing surface would not be a problem since there is nothing rotating on that surface anyway. I would still use it if i had to.

Dynosoar

Slightly Disturbed
SILVER Star
Visit site
The t-case will most probably work just fine with a little clean up. The value will certainly be reduced though. I would put it up for $100-$150.

Dynosoar:zilla:

P.S. DHL has a bunch of gorillas working for them they treat their cargo like s***!!!!!! (I don't know if Mark's package was delivered by DHL or not, but I have a good guess!)

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Visit site
Maybe you could re title this thread as:

"I don't give a s*** packaging" because this is a text book example.

FYI- I sold my nice 62 case on ebay for a whopping $90.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Visit site
I don't care who deivered it. If no packing material is used it is gonna get hammered.

Dynosoar:zilla:

P.S. DHL has a bunch of gorillas working for them they treat their cargo like ****!!!!!! (I don't know if Mark's package was delivered by DHL or not, but I have a good guess!)

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
So many users in this forum, so little imput. Jason? Jim? Andy?

Hopefully it's not because it's ME asking the questions...... instead of answering them.

:)

Visit site
That looks like its really the sellers fault for not packing it correctly. I wouldn't worry about the shavings, but I would cleanup the thrust surface & see how much contact surface is left. It looks like it would work though.

Not including the bolts and selling as a complete case, just solidifes that the seller is incompetent or an a******.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer
SILVER Star
Website
www.tlcperformance.com
So many users in this forum, so little imput. Jason? Jim? Andy?

Hopefully it's not because it's ME asking the questions...... instead of answering them.
Sorry, i was... umm... occupied.:idea:

I would not pay anything beyond the shipping to have that pile of scrap metal sent to me. Great, now I have a box of random T-case parts. Not a complete, unmolested case that can be quickly rebuilt & installed in a customer truck.

A little harsh, but that's business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom