ROTW CaliCruiser FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alrighty folks here goes nothing, Tencha is a tough act to follow but I'll do my best. Let me start by saying that I really had no chance of just driving a normal car since I thought fj40s were cool since age 10, heres proof . . .

IMG_3317.jpg

My dad bought that one for us to build up before I got my license but it turned out to be a bit much for a starter car. Fast forward a few years to me having evil thoughts about my moms innocent fj60 sitting in the driveway and watching guys like Boston Mangler, Lowtideride and TheFerg, build up there own 60's on 'Mud, I was doomed! After selling my 71 Ford pickup that swallowed up all my money in gas, and my mom wanting something a sportier, we decided the the fj60 would finally become mine, and the snow ball started.

Unfortunetly I don't have any pictures of my cruiser in stock form but I will start with some pictures of how it came out after the SOA.

Img_0693.jpg

Img_0694.jpg

These were taken literally the day after we finished the mighty project and to be honest I thought it was a little to extreme for a street machine. After driving it around town a handful of times I knew something needed to be adjusted before it could become my DD. When I did the SOA I regretably used the 4+ shackle reversal because I thought it was cool, not a knock on the product, I just don't think it is necessary.

The more I drove the cruiser the more I loved the SOA conversion, and the more I wanted to start in on it again for more mods. Here is a picture after the springs settled a bit.

Img_0881.jpg

More mods to come . . .

At this point I was out of cash after buying all the big ticket items associated with the SOA. Gears, tires, fab parts, cut and turn, rebuild kits, hysteer, you know the drill.

Once I had partially recovered from the hit, I addressed a few maintance issues that had crept up and gotten worse. I had a leaky exhaust manifold, and being the kid I was wanted more power, so I purchased a two piece cermaic coated header and pipe kit from Man A Fre. With the 35's and 4.88's plus a new exhaust system from the header back I felt comfortable with the power, but still want more. . .

I searched out some cool additions I picked up used like a con-ferr roof rack and a snorkle, (chicks dig snorkels).

IMG_2388.jpg

At this point, I just drove the cruiser and used it for everything it was designed for and intended to do. I wasn't to concerned with what I had or needed to do next, we just took it out wheelin' and fishin' and campin'

The I don't need this or that feeling didn't last long ;) the more I hung out on Mud and saw everybody else taking their cruisers to a new level.

Doin' what cruisers do best on first snow run . . .
oldemigranttrail022.jpg

oldemigranttrail059.jpg

oldemigranttrail066.jpg

After a few trips I figured I had chanced it enough, and NEEDED to have sliders before I crunched the rockers. I got onboard with the marlin crawler sliders for 175 bucks and got simple bang for the buck protection.

IMG_2976.jpg

At the same time as the sliders I layed down some do it yourself Rhinoliner on the rockers.

IMG_2813.jpg

A few more wheelin' trips down the road, I decided my dad and I would undertake a clutch job/rebuild transfercase before I burned out a clutch somewhere out in the middle of the Sierras.

IMG_2321.jpg

Keep in mind that this is where my dad and I do all our work,

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

Our shops consists of gravel baserock and sawhorses:flipoff2:

Next big mod came a used ARB bullbar I picked up from a mud member and a Warn 8274 I picked up at a yardsale for 200 bucks.

IMG_3025.jpg

The newest mod is a set of 63" chevy springs out back that were installed by FCFabrication in Stockton. So far this has been a great improvement in the ride and performance.

34frontpic.jpg

34toninstall.jpg

This is pretty much how she sits today waiting for the toybox or ARB front locker. . .

IMG_3297.jpg

SWEET nice write up

Great rig man!!! I think I need to push my soa project up the priority list. When my wife gets mad can I blame it on you?:)

AWESOME WRITE UP Big D!!!!
That is one SAHWEET rig, and it wheels awesome!
It is unbelieveable how much the rig has settled from the fresh SOA!
Glad to hear that youre really diggin the chebbie springs!
Do they feel pitchier than the stocks, side hill?
Even more amazing to me is that you were 16 when you did the SOA!!!:eek::eek::eek:
You did a hell of a job!

Chicago

AWESOME WRITE UP Big D!!!!

Even more amazing to me is that you were 16 when you did the SOA!!!:eek::eek::eek:
You did a hell of a job!

Chicago

Technically I was 17 when the conversion was done:flipoff2: I had to roll in style through high school! So far the only trip with the chevys has been the one I hit up with you guys and they felt great.

Couple more random shots,

Army suprlus tent on the rack with some snaps and some poles for a 'cover'

IMG_1835.jpg

New panels in the rear, may get upgraded if KevinR makes a production of his.

IMG_2237.jpg

Picture showing the rear shelf / sleeping platform. The rear horizontal support has been cut out, and provides better access and now I can slide rubbermaid containers in and out easier.

IMG_1836.jpg

Great ROTW. That 10 year old shot is funny as heck-you still look exactly the same!

Your rig looks great. I especially like the inside panel job. Did you use the original masonite, or cut new? It looks great.

Another ?? about the Toybox. I thought you ended up with the one from the flakey raffle dude?? That had the potential to be a great deal.

Congrats. That's a great looking 60 and a keeper for sure.

Nice rig...It kind of appears to be on the verge of the Expocrawler category with the SOA, storage, sleeping platform and rack. What's next for it?

I especially like the inside panel job. Did you use the original masonite, or cut new? It looks great.

...yes, more info on this, looks very clean.

I remember when you did the SOA on here, been watching since then...

great pics and write-up.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys!

Great ROTW. That 10 year old shot is funny as heck-you still look exactly the same!

Your rig looks great. I especially like the inside panel job. Did you use the original masonite, or cut new? It looks great.

Another ?? about the Toybox. I thought you ended up with the one from the flakey raffle dude?? That had the potential to be a great deal.

Congrats. That's a great looking 60 and a keeper for sure.

Nah unfortunetly the guy was just that, a flake. I offered him a thousand bucks cash and told him I could be there the next day. He sold it to another guy that was going to use it for a dual setup in a pickup. I got 'outbid' . . .

I have seen this rig in person and it is truly bitchin... Now if he would only pick out his fro the rig would be complete while he is driving it..

Hey Rodney, you gonna be at surf and turf? bring a plastic spork:flipoff2:

Nice rig...It kind of appears to be on the verge of the Expocrawler category with the SOA, storage, sleeping platform and rack. What's next for it?

...yes, more info on this, looks very clean.

That means a lot thanks, that is just the route I am heading with my rig, a BIGGER expedition style setup. I'm thinking gear reduction in the form of a toybox but I think that is gonna be awhile. In the short term I'm getting one of Kevin's tailgate storage box kits, and am thinking of adding a two meter radio setup.

As far as the rear panels, I used 1/4~5/16 tempered hardboard that my dad got from one of his construction customers. I made a template out of the old ones and used stainless hardware that mounts to the original holes with t-nuts or nutserts or whatever you call them. The carpet I used is Lowes indoor/outdoor grey carpet and a small folgers coffee can to cut out a hole for the little access plate. :flipoff2:

Sick Rig

Hey Cali, Nice rig--looks like some one raised you right, with a good taste in vehichles. Keep up the good work.:):)

Your Lead Mechanic
Dad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom