Speedi sleeve parking brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a Speedi sleeve from SOR. The included applicator does not seat the sleeve in the correct position. Do I find a way to seat this down all the way or…..?

Help me out friends.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I purchased a Speedi sleeve from SOR. The included applicator does not seat the sleeve in the correct position. Do I find a way to seat this down all the way or…..?

Help me out friends. View attachment 3461394View attachment 3461394
Are you throwing on a dual seal housing? Many vendors offer the seal housings machined for two seals. This moves the sealing surface location to “fresh” metal. Another option if you want to add suspenders with your belt. They are avaliable from Marks Offroad, Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Outfitters, and likely also SOR. Good luck!

Looks to be in about the right place to me.

I replaced mine recently, see link..

20230614_201656.jpg

Did you pre-snip the rim btw? Otherwise you can drill it very carefully on the shoulder (I discovered the hard way).

Are you throwing on a dual seal housing? Many vendors offer the seal housings machined for two seals. This moves the sealing surface location to “fresh” metal. Another option if you want to add suspenders with your belt. They are avaliable from Marks Offroad, Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Outfitters, and likely also SOR. Good luck!
Yes on the double seal. What do you mean about the suspenders with a belt???

Speedi sleeve along with the double seal housing is like wearing suspenders with a belt. Not a dig on what youre doing. Just trying to be funny and failing :)

Just trying to be funny and failing :)
Not at all. Not an LOL funny but certainly a raise of one eyebrow and a sly curl of a corner of one's mouth. Anybody with even a modicum of schooling picked up on your intention.
Just like a couple memos from the Department of Redundancy Department...

Yea I'm confused too..
Either your seal is in a very different place to mine, or you didn't manage to scroll through to post number 14 in the thread I posted above which demonstrates that the tool is the correct depth to position the sleeve at exactly the right point on the shaft...?

I'm curious why you claim success, what happened to the flange on the speedi-sleeve? Also, have you verified that it still fixes the groves in the snout? Has it been installed and no longer leaks?
Ill let you know. The sleeve covers up the location that was previously worn out. Install tomorrow hopefully.

Yea I'm confused too..
Either your seal is in a very different place to mine, or you didn't manage to scroll through to post number 14 in the thread I posted above which demonstrates that the tool is the correct depth to position the sleeve at exactly the right point on the shaft...?
Good to know. The sleeve now covers up the area that was grooved. The rest of the snout is in good shape so in theory it should keep a seal. Possibly install it tomorrow so I’ll let you know.

Hmm.. it might be worth taking a look at the lever arm in that case...

If the groove is right down at the bottom, then that isn't caused by the seal; it's caused by the lever arm rubbing against it due to excessively worn shoes / over adjustment.

Yeah that lever arm wear is fairly common. I’ve got a drum sitting on the shelf that’s mega worn in that low spot on the spindle. I‘m guessing there was actually a lever arm failure somewhere in it’s past (pre-me).

Tbh it was never completely clear to me what causes the lever to touch the shaft - does one of the pins fall out??

I measured 23mm from the top of the shaft to the outer seal face. The contact point with the seal lip is a few mm above that (say 19mm).
You might squeeze a second sleeve on top without removing the first.

I've highlighted the seal wear in red - mine looked identical.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the last thing you want is to soak a nice clean set of shoes in gear oil.

IMG_4117.jpeg

Update. Clearly Im not very well versed in these things. So the deepest groove was right at the base, and was probably from the lever arm. I filled it in and drove the sleeve over it to keep it protected. Speedi sleeve two was driven into the correct location. The wear was minimal but I still wanted a sleeve over it. Double seal in the speedo should help as well.

IMG_4132.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4138.jpeg

Looks great.
They're not cheap, but I think it will be worth it.
With the double seal too, it should last at least another 40 years now :)

Remembered to put sealant on the splines too?

So, whats your source for the SAE90 GL 4 transfer case and transmission fluid? I hear the GL 5 is bad for manual transmissions.

All of the modern GL5 oil that I found was compatible with GL4 applications (they use a different additive now apparently) - make sure to read the label / data sheet.

My view is generally that even the wrong type of fresh oil will be better than the correct type of old oil. i.e. don't delay changing it just because you don't have the perfect blend available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom