Speedhut gauge criticism (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know if the 62 and 60 sender Ohm ranges are the same? #2 in this post indicates F =17 0hm, E=120 ohm for "60 Series" & this doesn't match any of the SH presets, so a manual calibration is required in either case most likely. Just curious if my sender is within tolerance before trying to re-calibrate the gauge.

The install I did for a customer had a similar result as @ChaserFJ60

I don’t have a truck with Speedhuts to play with at the moment, but can you program intermediate levels besides just empty & full? The directions only mention E/F, so it didn’t occur to me at the time. But clearly the Toyota resistance values aren’t linear.

I plan to try one of these floatless sending units next time around:

It claims to eradicate erratic pointer movement, which would help with the Speedhut empty light (the pointer was not erratic, just the light).

Last edited by a moderator:
The install I did for a customer had a similar result as @ChaserFJ60 .

I don’t have a truck with Speedhuts to play with at the moment, but can you program intermediate levels besides just empty & full? The directions only mention E/F, so it didn’t occur to me at the time. But clearly the Toyota resistance values aren’t linear.

I plan to try one of these floatless sending units next time around:

It claims to eradicate erratic pointer movement, which would help with the Speedhut empty light (the pointer was not erratic, just the light).

Floatless is the way to go and the range is perfect with the Speedhut gauge.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to do this. The fuel gauge is my only gauge which has never worked right. go off my mileage but that varies between tanks. Thats tough when I’ve done 17-21mpg in different tanks.

Last edited:
I have Autometer gauges, but same issue with fuel sender. Sounds like I am in the same boat with tracking mileage, but would like it sorted out. I like the idea of getting a float less sending unit. Can anyone tell me the length of the original sending unit? Is there much fab work needed to install? Maybe there is already a thread. Very interested. Basically tell me what I need to order cuz I am lazy and don't want to re-research it!

Anybody have a loose 60 tank to measure the depth?

The SAE sender bolt pattern is different from the Toyota pattern, so you’d either need an adapter ring, or drill & tap new holes in the tank flange, or drill new holes in the sender flange.

Anybody have a loose 60 tank to measure the depth?

The SAE sender bolt pattern is different from the Toyota pattern, so you’d either need an adapter ring, or drill & tap new holes in the tank flange, or drill new holes in the sender flange.
I do... I'll post a measurement later today if no one beats me to it.
Tommy

I do... I'll post a measurement later today if no one beats me to it.
Tommy
Ok its 7 and 7/8 to the top of the mounting ring on the tank so the shorter of the two tanks inc fuel sending unit will work. @FJ60Cam the only problem i see as of now without me ordering it to make an adapter ring is the actual height of the unit on the top didn't see a measurement of that it may stick up to high and the access door in the floor may have to be modified or remade higher to allow it to fit. Being that i already make and have in stock the adapter ring for the fj62 tank to fit the tanks inc fuel pump module a maybe inclined to do the same for this sender if it will work and if there is a small demand for it. I also have had trouble with the speed hut gauges fuel gauge being a pain. I programmed the gauge with a brand new oem toyota fuel sender out of the tank at full lever all the way up and empty lever all the way down. I also did it with fuel in the tank but not enough for the ls engine to run then filled it up programmed it at full and still wasn't right customer has tried programming it also but hasn't mentioned the results. Let me know if this is a need and i will invest in the sender and see if this can actually be done without modifying anything or if the door in the floor needs modified.
Tommy

Ok its 7 and 7/8 to the top of the mounting ring on the tank so the shorter of the two tanks inc fuel sending unit will work. @FJ60Cam the only problem i see as of now without me ordering it to make an adapter ring is the actual height of the unit on the top didn't see a measurement of that it may stick up to high and the access door in the floor may have to be modified or remade higher to allow it to fit. Being that i already make and have in stock the adapter ring for the fj62 tank to fit the tanks inc fuel pump module a maybe inclined to do the same for this sender if it will work and if there is a small demand for it. I also have had trouble with the speed hut gauges fuel gauge being a pain. I programmed the gauge with a brand new oem toyota fuel sender out of the tank at full lever all the way up and empty lever all the way down. I also did it with fuel in the tank but not enough for the ls engine to run then filled it up programmed it at full and still wasn't right customer has tried programming it also but hasn't mentioned the results. Let me know if this is a need and i will invest in the sender and see if this can actually be done without modifying anything or if the door in the floor needs modified.
Tommy

For a Tanks Inc. floatless you'd need to order a 7" (requires 1/2" off bottom) so you'd have an additional 3/8" of fuel "safety" the float wouldn't read. Or build a 3/8" with spacer and order the 8" for an exact dial in. I'd prefer the 3/8" safety factor.

Tommy, if you or someone will get me the old sender unit hole pattern from the tank I'll make a Tanks Inc floatless adapter plate.

Jason.

Sign me up for a sender adapter plate if you do it, Jason. I need one for a 62 tank.

The Speedhut has a 0-90 and a 90-0 ohm range (1/2 tank or 3/4 tank markings) and the Tanks Inc sender has a 90 ohm option. Its the best option for the combination with the greatest accuracy I've found.

J

For a Tanks Inc. floatless you'd need to order a 7" (requires 1/2" off bottom) so you'd have an additional 3/8" of fuel "safety" the float wouldn't read. Or build a 3/8" with spacer and order the 8" for an exact dial in. I'd prefer the 3/8" safety factor.

Tommy, if you or someone will get me the old sender unit hole pattern from the tank I'll make a Tanks Inc floatless adapter plate.

Jason.
Can use the old sending unit or the gasket for the pattern i have a couple here that was my plan for a template. How tall is the tanks inc fuel sender will it fit with an adapter ring under the access door?

I'll check the height tomorrow. I thought there was about 1.2-1.3" under there.

EDIT-- I'll be back at the shop around 6PM tonight to unload a 62 coming in.
The access panel bumps up a little so that helps i measured without the panel just to the top of the floor on a 60 thats here. Always working lol do you even sleep:beer::beer::beer:

Float on my 60 was right at 1" of "safety". It seams to stay on full for 40 miles or so but 1/2 tank mark actually means 1/4. I'm good with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom