Spare Tire Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your truck doesn't have the emissions stuff, it should work. I bought my tires from a guy who ran them on his '99 and was able to fit the spare in there.

Another vote for this. Cheap and good way to get your hands a bit dusty. Do it!

Finally did this. Used 1" spacers that I found at HD and worked great. I am running 295/70's and it puts the tire about an inch from hitting the pan hard bar. That size tire still sticks out, but looks a lot less like a full diaper on my truck. Do not think I could/should/would run it like that off-road.

If you completely remove the spare is the crossmember spare bracket (?) still required for frame strength?

The crossmember was designed as a structural piece. However, I had to remove mine in favor of an aux fuel tank.

I wanted to put my air tank there but with the bracket it is kinda low. Maybe I will try this flip.

I removed mine. Never considered it was an integral part of the frame construction and I don't believe there's been any negative consequence from it.

Just FYI I just did this and opted to cut and weld the rear most of the two bars. In mock-up it seemed the most you could get away with was at or just under 16 degrees of bend relative to the mounting bracket. I cut 2/3 the way through, bent to 16.5 deg and welded. I probably wound up with 15 deg due to welding and I will say I think it’s about as much as you can go using the stock tools to lower the spare. I had to clearance a pinch weld and a small metal lip on the underside of the rear bumper and the tool now barely (I say perfectly) fits. Anymore and you would need a diet version of that tool or really make some additional room under there but as is its practically as high as it will go. You might be able to lower the lift mechanism to allow for raising higher but I’m calling it quits.

I raised my spare today and took a slightly different approach, some may like, some may not but thought I would share.

1. First off did the standard 1.5" lift on the crossbar, used aluminum spacers and bolts from Ace - easy peasy.
2. Removed the rear support bar since the frame does its job.
3. Shimmed the front bar at an angle, but couple notes.
- I tried to maximize the rise and went with 5 washers. Don't bother, that is too high for getting the lowering rod in there. I left mine at 4.
- My trailer wiring was definitely tight against the tire so simple fix, cut the zipties Mr T used to attache to the wire trunk and pull more slack from further in the truck, there was easily 6", and re-zip with it tucked higher and tighter.

4. Here's where I went rogue. Instead of lowering the winch, which I didn't feel as good about from a stability perspective (plus I didn't have longer bolts and spacers handy), I angled it forward with 3 washers to point it down to where the lowering rod wanted it. Installing the washers was a PITA because of the limited space, but worked perfect. That wasn't enough though as now the lowering rod was jammed tight against the bumper, so, solution, trim the bumper! Used a rotozip on my drill and was 5sec job:
View attachment 1489139
I cleaned up the cut after this pic, but almost looks factory, and MUCH easier to thread the u-joint in and out now.

Final angles are perfect:
View attachment 1489137

And now I have my 285/75/16 sitting nice and high!
View attachment 1489138
So I should have read this first but I did something similar except I ground down the pinchweld above the tool you insert as well as a lip on the underside of the bumper. Good idea though.

I installed this mod the other day and tried to stuff my Toyo AT 295/75/16 in there, and it rubs on the panhard bar in my 2000. I didn't winch it all the way up b/c it was rubbing pretty firmly on it, and didn't seem like it was going stop rubbing on it.

It's my general assumption that I don't want it rubbing on the panhard for a couple reasons, unless I'm being too paranoid. If I keep cranking the spare up, will it eventually clear the panhard?

I can't answer your question first-hand but I know some guys have had luck deflating the tire a bit until it got pulled into position.

I just did this today I flipped the front bracket upside down and I use washers on the rear bracket so it would tilt it up a little bit more however I had the same issue of my tire rubbing on the panhard bar
285/75/16 ... I deflated the tire all the way and it still was getting stuck between the trailer hitch receiver and panhard Bar. What size tires are people successfully stuffing up in there?

Currently have 285/70/17s so i dont want to go too much smaller.

I just did this today I flipped the front bracket upside down and I use washers on the rear bracket so it would tilt it up a little bit more however I had the same issue of my tire rubbing on the panhard bar
285/75/16 ... I deflated the tire all the way and it still was getting stuck between the trailer hitch receiver and panhard Bar. What size tires are people successfully stuffing up in there?

Currently have 285/70/17s so i dont want to go too much smaller.

285/75/16 under mine. Just a smidgen under 33" in Diameter, fits fine.

I installed this mod the other day and tried to stuff my Toyo AT 295/75/16 in there, and it rubs on the panhard bar in my 2000. I didn't winch it all the way up b/c it was rubbing pretty firmly on it, and didn't seem like it was going stop rubbing on it.

It's my general assumption that I don't want it rubbing on the panhard for a couple reasons, unless I'm being too paranoid. If I keep cranking the spare up, will it eventually clear the panhard?
Curious if you have a frame mounted trailer hitch on your rig, I have the Cooper Discovery 275-70-18's (33,5") and its way to tight, even deflated it's a no-go.. I do have the CURT trailer hitch which actually seems to be the problem and am currently trying to figure out what I need to do to get that tire up in there... Was thinking the OEM mounted bumper hitch but sounds like there may be a controversy there too..

Do you have a trailer hitch as well??

Yes, have a trailer hitch.

Have you done the spare tire 'raise' mod?

It will tilt the tire to some degree allowing a bit more room.

Mine fit without the mod....but I wanted to raise it some anyway and found this to be an added benefit.

Yes, have a trailer hitch.

Have you done the spare tire 'raise' mod?

It will tilt the tire to some degree allowing a bit more room.

Mine fit without the mod....but I wanted to raise it some anyway and found this to be an added benefit.
Have not done this mod yet but it's looking more and more like I know what's probably going down in my garage this weekend

Have not done this mod yet but it's looking more and more like I know what's probably going down in my garage this weekend

Lots of ways to do it. Worth the effort IMO.

I completed with 1.5” steel spacers, pvc/sprinkler risers, 3/8” drop on the winch (using washers). Purchased all materials from Home Depot, ordered online and picked up in-store. Used a pvc cutter from my neighbor.

Easy job, took about an hour with the “help” of my 4 and 6 year old. I also did NOT wallow the holes for the rear-most bracket, but kept the top bolts in place, put in the washers to shim, then tightened.

I have BFG K2 285/75/16 spare with normal tire pressure. It is pretty worn, but it fit fine. I have the aftermarket Reese trailer hitch.

Factory spare-changing tools fit well. No modification to the bumper was needed. I added a small amount of cardboard to my tool kit as a pad to avoid any rubbing on the bumper when I use the tools in the future.

I’m happy with the results for ~$10 and an hour with my kids getting dirt on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom