Source for FJ55 Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These radiators seem to be a rare bird now a days. Anyone know where or a aftermarket replacement.
ANy success with a close but not perfect radiator, how about a FJ40, or 60 radiator?

Still have yours? just get it recored. while you're at it, make it a 4-core. My pig had a 40 radiator in it when I bought it, real funky retrofit. I got a 55 one from a fellow lister and had it recored. Don't know of any aftermarket sources, there's gotta be something close out there, though.

nial

I've got a spare in my garage for a rainy day. Probably a good thing since the one I'm running had a been hit with a rock or something and had a hole the size of my thumb in it.

The radiator in my pig was replaced by the PO when they did an engine upgrade, looks like an OEM radiator according to the tags. Sad thing about it they half assed the install by putting two electric fans on using the dreading "through the radiator" plastic hold ons. Needless to say, they loosened up, casuing the holder to rub through the core and take out a small segment of cooling fins.
I've seen this happen before and I will never use those plastic through holders for anything, custom solid mounted fan brckets is the way to go.
I can only imagine what they want up here to recore a radiator.

to my knowledge there is no replacement drop in radiator, everything out there will need slight modification. if you want low price you will be modifying. a 40 rad is a tad narrow, and a 60 rad is a tad wide. a dodge trail duster rad is about as drop in as it gets, real close fit. the best way IMOP is to get the 55 rad re-cored as mentioned above, local shop charged me $220 for this service and i thought it was well worth it as i upped the fin count in the process and have had zero problems since. even cruising at 118* here in AZ

man-a-fre offers one of there billit al rad as a drop in replacement. it's a little spend at $469 though.

lingo said:
man-a-fre offers one of there billit al rad as a drop in replacement. it's a little spend at $469 though.
Another vote for re-core if you've got it. This MAF price isn't far off from what I payed for and OEM radiator for my FZJ ... food for thought.

Good luck!

Tucker

I don't have a radiator for mine and it's getting a 383 stroker. So the MAF radiator is probably the best direction for me because i for see cooling issues. I have one my 40 already and am very pleased with it.

I have a 383 in my fj40 and am using the MAF radiator I like it and it works well but for the money if I were to do it again I would just buy a ganeric aluminum from summit and copy the MAF mounting system you would save about 250.00. IMHO.

Going thru the same thing right now with the new 55.

Currently have a stock radiator in the shop getting re-cored. Cost locally was $230 for a 4 core. Cruiserparts.net has used 55 radiators in stock also.

On the other pig with a small block I used a Chevy Nova 4 core. Fit and cooling is good. Just needed to fab brackets.

I ended up buying a "new" 4-row radiator through SOR - the local radiator shop said the entire radiator was junk - including the top and bottom tanks so recoring was not an option. Took about 3 weeks to get but dropped right in.

I recently recored a $30 ebay radiator that turned out to be a sprinkler. It was $200 and then I still had to solder some junk myself after bringing it back to the radiator guys twice. I think all fj55's were 3 core. I never had overheating problems, so I kept it 3 core. On a 115F day, the temp needle will stay right in the middle of the gauge. A friend nearby has a an old trail duster he is building up. Needless to say, those measurements did not match. But dodge did use different engines and 2, 3, and 4 core radiators depending on application. Maybe some really do fit, but not the one I measured. Due to the way the 55 radiator bolts up, there are probably a lot of custom options out there.

PabloCruise said:
Performance Radiator list two diff part numbers for a 1976 Land Cruiser one is a 3 row, one is a 4 row.

Are '76 Pigs 4 row and 40's 3 row?

Might be worth checking with them - I like their radiators...

performance does not do a 55 rad, what you see is a 40 rad, 3 or 4 row. they did my recore and we talked a bit about offering a 55 rad based on mine but ultimately they dont have enough need to "one off" a radiator and basically build it from scratch.

40 and 55 do not share the same dimensions, in-out-over-under or any other way you can think, stop it!

Guyute said:
On the other pig with a small block I used a Chevy Nova 4 core. Fit and cooling is good. Just needed to fab brackets.

This is what I did also. Also it seems late and early FJ55s have different radiators? Not sure if the brackets are different. I bought the Chevy model 22" wide aluminum radiator from speedwaymotors.com for $160. It is pretty badass, pretty similar to the OEM FJ55 radiator but the bottom port is slightly different (about 2-3" higher and 1" further to the passenger side) but worked for me. I also have a busted FJ55 core somewhere that I might be willing to sell though I should probably hold onto it to get recored myself... ...someday? Andre

snailwagon said:
I recently recored a $30 ebay radiator that turned out to be a sprinkler. It was $200 and then I still had to solder some junk myself after bringing it back to the radiator guys twice. I think all fj55's were 3 core. I never had overheating problems, so I kept it 3 core. On a 115F day, the temp needle will stay right in the middle of the gauge. A friend nearby has a an old trail duster he is building up. Needless to say, those measurements did not match. But dodge did use different engines and 2, 3, and 4 core radiators depending on application. Maybe some really do fit, but not the one I measured. Due to the way the 55 radiator bolts up, there are probably a lot of custom options out there.

My stock '76 radiator was 4-core. Dealer installed A/C so maybe the factory/dealer A/C equipped rigs received the extra core. I thought this was the case for the 40's too...

dieselcruiserhead said:
This is what I did also. Also it seems late and early FJ55s have different radiators? Not sure if the brackets are different. I bought the Chevy model 22" wide aluminum radiator from speedwaymotors.com for $160. It is pretty badass, pretty similar to the OEM FJ55 radiator but the bottom port is slightly different (about 2-3" higher and 1" further to the passenger side) but worked for me. I also have a busted FJ55 core somewhere that I might be willing to sell though I should probably hold onto it to get recored myself... ...someday? Andre
easy to mount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom