SOR Front Door OEM Weatherstrip Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone has used this kit for '75 to '80 FJ40. Specifically wanting more info on the rubber for around the window instead of the original felt like I've got currently. Already know I need OEM door weatherstripping as I've tried another's aftermarket stuff and I'm going to tear it off. It squeaks and is too thick. My doors won't close without slamming them. I really want to fix the rattles and squeaks coming from all the old parts in my doors and I don't want to waste more time and money on stuff that doesn't work well.

Every time I have seen OEM parts on SOR's site, it's cheaper at the dealer or another source. SOR usually charges OEM list price, plus $hipping and Fondling charges.

OEM door weatherstripping is world-class in fit and softness/durability. I have also heard raves about City Racer's door weatherstripping, but have not tried it.

Thanks for the help on that. I checked with my local dealer on weatherstripping a couple weeks ago. They never got back to me. Also I'd pass on the city racer weatherstripping. That's what I got and it's way too thick. Can't get my doors to close so I'm going to tear it off an get some OEM stuff.
Still would like to know what the story is on the rubber around the windows instead of felt. Just worried it will squeak. And that's what I'm trying to eliminate.

Interesting, I installed the City Racer weatherstripping on my 74 and I have zero complaints. Just the right amount of thickness, fit like a glove once everything was adjusted accordingly.

Every cruiser is different though.

all the weather striping and window runs are available from toyota yet, the'res no good reason not to go that route. a lot of dealers now have online ordering where you look at the pictures/line drawings and pick out your parts....it's not fail proof, and you sorta have to know what you are looking at.

Without starting a new weatherstripping thread will ask here. What is available for the 1970 model FJ40 door to tub seal? Thought I bought OEM some years back but not finding it. Is it still available from Toyota? Amayama shows NLA.

Also what is the best way remove old dries up glue. Original paint is still in good shape and zero rust issues.

20220718_125550.jpg
20220718_125535.jpg
20220718_125521.jpg
20220718_125511.jpg

Without starting a new weatherstripping thread will ask here. What is available for the 1970 model FJ40 door to tub seal? Thought I bought OEM some years back but not finding it. Is it still available from Toyota? Amayama shows NLA.

Also what is the best way remove old dries up glue. Original paint is still in good shape and zero rust issues.

View attachment 3070383View attachment 3070384View attachment 3070385View attachment 3070386

Amayama is wrong (as usual).

The weatherstripping for the doors are readily available from any Toyota dealership.

As are the window runs.

In my experience, the old (sound - not peeling) glue does not have to be removed. Any old door gasket material should be removed, an a stripe eraser wheel would work well for that.

I ordered my rubbers in the last 2 from parts.lewistoyota.com - free shipping for orders over $75 using code. (felts, channels etc. too)

That said - compare - Adams Toyota in MO in has same deal and I've notice some cheaper prices.

https://parts.adamstoyota.com/Toyota_1980_Land-Cruiser-VIN-starts-with--42L-MT.html (specific to 1980 40's)

Every time I have seen OEM parts on SOR's site, it's cheaper at the dealer or another source. SOR usually charges OEM list price, plus $hipping and Fondling charges.

OEM door weatherstripping is world-class in fit and softness/durability. I have also heard raves about City Racer's door weatherstripping, but have not tried it.
That's why they are called $or---but sometimes they are the only source-----

I have purchased and tried this product with little effect. @65swb45 has suggested popsicle sticks. Did not plan on removing the doors since I think have never been off. But now reconsidering so the remover can puddle a little and soak in. Also installing weatherstripping on a horizontal door would be a lot easier than fighting gravity.

Question on the rear hatch I find the upper U shaped weatherstripping is NLA. The style starting 7/72 is available and an aftermarket version for the earlier one. Not sure the difference in the hatch 7/72. I have the the 10/69 hatch and the 73 hatch here and can't tell any difference. I know the 73 is off a 73. Bought it in 1976. Someone was moving and needed it gone. Said he was driving around with the top off and spotted a used sports car he had to have a dealer. Traded the 40 on the spot. Remember he was a kid which is funny wasn't much more than a kid myself back in 1976.

So will the later style work on the earlier hatch? Same question with the barn doors/tailgate what are people using? I know those been NLA for a long time. Looks like the bottom strip of the hatch is still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom