SAS Solid Axle Summit #7 Official Page (1 Viewer)

SAS #7 Color Choices for Swag and Trail Flags

• • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 31 33.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m head there from central coast CA no caravan yet
I move a little slower and plan to leave July 28th and get the Sunday the 30th More then happy to caravan if the timing works out :cool:
@Road Apple will most likely will be moving at a better speed and leaving at a later date but we have not discussed it.
@John McVicker also is from Calif and I'm sure there are others

Last edited:
Hey @PeterTheBeater and @Shoppy

We live in the Santa Cruz area. What area are you guys from? Our departure time is up in the air somewhat. We’ll be leaving for SAS7 on July 28th, 29th, or 30th. Depends on what days I get off from work.

Last time we drove south through Las Vegas and took the family on a tour of the Grand Canyon and the southern Utah national parks along the way.

This year we are planning to drop by the grandparents Sacramento home for a day or two, then head over Hwy 80 through Reno and Salt Lake before dropping south. Likely stopping at Great Basin national park and Salt Lake to break up the trip. We usually stop in Moab to get donuts at Dough Bird too. The salted caramel “cronuts” are addictive. Kind of a lazy drive this year. We’ll likely pickup the pace heading back through Reno again. The southern Las Vegas route is quicker and more scenic.

We’re happy to meet up with you along the way. I have requests to setup a Hollister Hills run before the event too. Drop me a DM to exchange contact info. I’ll add you to our Santa Cruisers club list if you would like to join other local cruiser heads. We typically monitor 146.46 on HAM to connect with other off-roading friends too. KN6KAM

Ron

Last edited:
Less than 4mo away! Finished up the cruiserheadparts bezel. Took Ethel for a ride.

261FCBD9-A2CC-4266-BAD5-5C444DF7DA01.jpeg

199920C6-0270-4FF3-B8ED-06771656757E.jpeg

A007F183-ADD9-48CF-B541-6EFC51DCE589.jpeg

TAC crew is planning on overnight in Salida, CO 7/29. Is there a meet up 7/30 @ Classic Cruisers before heading into Ouray?

Got asked to do Kokopelli in May, so I’ve been making plans this week. Trying to get a lot of work done before then so I don’t have to cram for the SAS test in July.

By May:

Knuckles & rotors
-possibly have a busted front right axle (loud crunchy ticking noise when the hub is engaged); spare already on hand

Rear cargo area electrical
-USB charger
-rear hatch lights

New Midland MXT115 install
-plus use the opportunity to clean up my mediocre stereo, aftermarket gauge, & inclinometer wiring

If I can afford it, new front Alcan custom length springs for my shackle reversal and four new shocks. Rear springs are new Dobinson but the shocks limit travel due to the 6” rear shackles (which are on there to match the front SR)

Weld up a roof rack mounted dual Jerry can holder. I already have a dual holder on the rear swing out, but need more capacity. It will be the first semi-permanent install on the Gamiviti. I’m looking forward to systematizing things up there - so far it’s been boxes & bungie cords.

Extend diff breathers

Extend t-case breather if I can access it from above by removing the shifters. Not sure if that’s possible.

May-July Work:

refurbish and install OEM sliding cargo windows

Possibly replace the head. I have a rebuilt one sitting here, so why not? It can be my non-air-rail head.

New rebuilt carb. Mine was rebuilt recently and runs well, but I have some experimental ideas I want to try. Both of the 60s I’ve owned run lean on the AF gauge. I’m taking out the EGR and AI systems and at the end of the day want to goof with where the final A:F numbers sit. Jetting, Secondary Slow Cut Valve, power valve … I have lots of thoughts. I’m also at 5200’ elevation and generally only go up from there. Max idle vacuum is 17inHg, so a lot of systems are borderline - choke breaker, secondary, etc - and stuff needs tweaked to get those systems operating up here like they do at sea level.

Dizzy recurve if I can find somebody available. The usual suspects are busy.

PLUS:
Two new Cruiser Trash Parts products I need to finalize and roll out, one by the first week of May and the second hopefully before the end of June. Time frames on those are tight, but I’ve been pulling long hours to keep the train rolling.

I can’t friggin’ wait for SAS though. We’re already talking about it almost every day

121 Days!

I'm waiting for the roads to clean up so I can put the 40 back on the road. But I'm also squeamish about some jackhole blowing a red light and t-boning it, and I'd be stuck driving the 80, which is way less trust worthy.

@Polecat was sent the wrong Dobinsons kit for his 43 so naturally the front springs ended up over here and going in to save on shipping. Rear springs on the way. Yielded 1.25” over the shackle lift that’s been in place since 2001.

559C529D-A559-454B-87E9-04FD690307DC.jpeg

9785FE73-D3C6-4860-B6CA-5DF1070900C3.jpeg

I made reservations this morning for a campground around Denver. There isn't much out there. I wanted to stay at Chatfield State Park, but they were full up.

If you need to do similar, probably a good idea to get on that.

Last edited:
Hey,

This will be my first SAS and I'm pretty excited! Since I'm a newbie to this event and I have also never driven my Cruiser in this area or even in Colorado for that matter, I was hoping I could get any tips, advice from those who have been before. Things like where to fill up for fuel (I read someone's post about getting ethanol free if possible) didn't think of that. Where to eat? Do you need extra fuel while out on the trails? Etc, etc?

Also, I am trying to prepare my Cruiser for sure. I'm trying to make sure it's mechanically sound. It hasn't been that far in a long long time. But any tips or advice would be much appreciated! I'm sure there's some things I haven't thought to look at or do or buy some sort of gear that would be good to have.

Thank y'all!
-Tyler

Definitely stop by Taco Del Gnar in Ridgeway. Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton and Telluride, etc. have good fuel and they are all within close proximity. Telluride fuel is a bit inconvenient if you are not driving out highway 145. Our stock 4Runner with a locker was fine for all trails, including Poughkeepsie, but it has a winch and we used it sometimes to get out at the end. Others may have different advice. You are going for the scenery and good company. It’s an amazing area.

628672DD-CDCA-4725-8630-E51676122CF4.jpeg

5EE47D9D-089B-4AEC-9AA7-979D73AC8684.jpeg

629AF1CF-04AA-4017-B6C8-971E9B13F4F5.jpeg

5E514355-93AC-40EE-8297-6DF2BA347701.jpeg

77762F4C-AA74-44A9-A523-58D20CB18451.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey,

This will be my first SAS and I'm pretty excited! Since I'm a newbie to this event and I have also never driven my Cruiser in this area or even in Colorado for that matter, I was hoping I could get any tips, advice from those who have been before. Things like where to fill up for fuel (I read someone's post about getting ethanol free if possible) didn't think of that. Where to eat? Do you need extra fuel while out on the trails? Etc, etc?

Also, I am trying to prepare my Cruiser for sure. I'm trying to make sure it's mechanically sound. It hasn't been that far in a long long time. But any tips or advice would be much appreciated! I'm sure there's some things I haven't thought to look at or do or buy some sort of gear that would be good to have.

Thank y'all!
-Tyler
What Cruiser model and where ya coming from?

There’s trails for everybody in the San Juans. Last year there was a bone stock 62 on tired old suspension … and a spring-over 60 on 40s. Bring what ya got and have fun.

Ethanol free is supposedly better for older vehicles and for higher altitudes. I haven’t noticed much difference in my 60. Maverik gas stations and some mom & pop places have it. If you’re pinging under load climbing mountain passes on the highway, go up one octane level. No need for extra fuel in jerry cans either unless you plan out some huge loop that takes 16 hours to complete.

You definitely want a good, solid, well-maintained braking system and working 4low (t-case, driveshafts, diffs, locking hubs). Probably a good idea to test those out this spring or summer and to baseline stuff too - change all the fluids, new air & fuel filters, set the valves, tune the carb (if you have one). If nothing else she’ll hum along nice on the highway. But some people also kind of wing it. I did the first year.

You got this.

What Cruiser model and where ya coming from?

There’s trails for everybody in the San Juans. Last year there was a bone stock 62 on tired old suspension … and a spring-over 60 on 40s. Bring what ya got and have fun.

Ethanol free is supposedly better for older vehicles and for higher altitudes. I haven’t noticed much difference in my 60. Maverik gas stations and some mom & pop places have it. If you’re pinging under load climbing mountain passes on the highway, go up one octane level. No need for extra fuel in jerry cans either unless you plan out some huge loop that takes 16 hours to complete.

You definitely want a good, solid, well-maintained braking system and working 4low (t-case, driveshafts, diffs, locking hubs). Probably a good idea to test those out this spring or summer and to baseline stuff too - change all the fluids, new air & fuel filters, set the valves, tune the carb (if you have one). If nothing else she’ll hum along nice on the highway. But some people also kind of wing it. I did the first year.

You got this.
Thanks for the tips. I have a FZJ80

Hey,

Thank y'all!
-Tyler
You’re gonna have a blast! See Casey’s notes on page one of the original post. It’s about as simple as that. You’ll figure out the rest at camp and there will be plenty of folks to help with that. Don’t overthink it. I recommend you consider coming with us for the Texas Convoy, which leaves South/Central Texas on Friday to head to Amarillo. From there we go the slow way to Ouray leaving Saturday morning…

You’re gonna have a blast! See Casey’s notes on page one of the original post. It’s about as simple as that. You’ll figure out the rest at camp and there will be plenty of folks to help with that. Don’t overthink it. I recommend you consider coming with us for the Texas Convoy, which leaves South/Central Texas on Friday to head to Amarillo. From there we go the slow way to Ouray leaving Saturday morning…
I know a guy from the Austin area that is going as well and mentioned the convoy and what they did last year. He thinks it might be very similar this time. He mentioned Amarillo Friday, then somewhere else Saturday and possibly classic cruisers on Sunday. That was last time. I don't think I'll be able to leave Friday, but maybe I can join up with y'all at some other point on the trip!

I'll start another Texas Convoy thread as we get closer to August.
Typically leave on Saturday morning out of Amarillo, go over Medano Pass to the Great SandDunes NP then camp on BLM land south of the entrance to the park. Sunday morning we go to Poncha Springs for a stop at Classic Cruisers and lunch at Elevation Brewery before heading up Monarch Pass eventually arriving in Ouray late afternoon.

Hey,

Thank y'all!
-Tyler
Hi @TCruiser93

Since you’re driving a FZJ80, you’ll need ethanol free fuel at altitude and high temperatures. Without it, the gas venting system can’t keep up with ethanol evaporation and builds pressure in the gas tank. When it becomes a problem, you’ll smell gas in the cabin and hear pressure venting when removing the gas cap. It helps to replace your Vapor Canister, but not necessary if you use ethanol free fuel.

We usually gas up the day prior and never need extra fuel at the end of a full day of wheeling. There is ethanol free fuel in Ouray, close to camp.

Some maintenance items to check before coming start with the basics. Tuneup, check all fluid levels, and tire pressure. Check all the rubber hoses in your cooling system and your brakes. Check all bolts under the hood and under your truck for general tightness, including your driveshaft. There’s a long skinny 14mm box wrench on Amazon that helps with the driveshaft bolts. Check the torque on the cone nuts, lug nuts, and the axle knuckle nuts, which are common failure points. Doesn’t hurt to bring basic tools and parts that could strand you on the trail. PM me for more detail if you like.

Bring lunch with you to eat on the trail, though some days we eat lunch in Telluride or Silverton. Lots of good restaurants in Ouray.

Look forward to meeting you. Come find us to join on the trail. Below is a picture to find my truck. You can usually find me with another green 80 near the center of camp.

Welcome to SAS Tyler

Ron

IMG_5254.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom