SAS Solid Axle Summit #5 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Color Choices for SAS #5 Shirt and Trail Flags

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, this is long overdue.
For those of you that I harasser for a Portrait, here they are. Wish I could have gotten more, but I was rationing film for the rest of the trip.

Thanks so much @SteveV for sharing these!! We all appreciate the memories and the GREAT reference! lol... Next year we hope to see you again and maybe you can help us with group photo?? We are always looking for someone to take the pictures from a good camera and not just phone cameras. Thanks Again!

This is where most of the food, people, and beer will be - and parts, for those in need.

We're game to spend a night above the treeline. Got some time with Google Maps ahead.

This is where most of the food, people, and beer will be - and parts, for those in need.

We're game to spend a night above the treeline. Got some time with Google Maps ahead.
My favorite alpine basin in Colorado is American Basin, near the top of Cinnamon Pass - close enough to Ouray yet far enough away. And you can bag an easy 14'er nearby - Handies Peak.

Bummer but I guess there aren’t many other options
There is another campground just down the road, but the premises is all rock covered. The KOA has trees and grass.

The KOA has been a great host. Have heard no complaints.

@MoJ maybe these are better suited for a man of your sophisticated palette. Just bustin your chops. Come camp with @Dilspec , Jimmy , me and @8cam . We won’t judge you…….much
1635544813503.png

@MoJ maybe these are better suited for a man of your sophisticated palette. Just bustin your chops. Come camp with @Dilspec , Jimmy , me and @8cam . We won’t judge you…….much
View attachment 2824648
Going from a week of using mother nature’s facilities for a week leading up to SAS to backed up toilets and horse flies at the KOA was a bit rough. In other words, the bear prefers the woods.

We could just invade ironton. Ironton would be better for the party crowd. Plus we would not have to worry about the guy in the sport coat. The Koa is a good place for the event, just trying to find away to take some pressure off the campground and Casey. I’m sure next year with all the upgrades the Koa will be enforcing all the rules even harder.

The facilities are our main concern. Having a private place with restroom capacity and showers is the major goal. Dispersed camping as an organized group would get into permits and such.
I agree with the need for a better place that is big enough for our gathering. It needs to be close to the trails though. Also factor in the cost of doing so.
Open to suggestions.

We could just invade ironton. Ironton would be better for the party crowd. Plus we would not have to worry about the guy in the sport coat. The Koa is a good place for the event, just trying to find away to take some pressure off the campground and Casey. I’m sure next year with all the upgrades the Koa will be enforcing all the rules even harder.
The Guy in the sport coat (Robert) was actually very accommodating. The KOA is a family-type park and the party crowd should treated as such.
Disclaimer, I am not affiliated with the KOA in any way.
Getting my flame suit out now ;)
:cheers:
fire-entry-suits-for-industrial-use-500x500.png

^^^
I agree…no flame suit warranted.🤔

No flame suit needed. Im just making a suggestion for alternative camping if the Koa does not work for everyone. Im sure there are other places as well.

i had forgotten about the little stable addition on the west side, definitely sucked for those camped over there.

@POTATO LAUNCHER We've used a website called Hipcamp to find spots out in the Midwest where there's less public land (or none at all) for camping. The premise might be helpful if y'all do look for a new site near Ouray.

Essentially if you own land, and don't mind having campers, you make a listing and post it on Hipcamp. It ranges from a single tent site in somebody's backyard, to a yurt way out on the back of your land, to a huge open field for RVs to pull into.

The execution is pretty rinky dink -just send the "host" a message through the website and negotiate from there. Now here's where it comes into play for SAS, if moving base camp is something you're considering: look around in Ouray County for hosts with lots of land and send them messages with info about the event. Some might not like it, but some definitely might see dollar signs and be happy to accommodate. Outside of Hipcamp it may be worth trying to find a rancher some MUDer knows through the grapevine and asking them. Same concept - find a person with a bunch of land who would welcome a bunch of Land Cruiser wingnuts.

Bathrooms and showers is another bridge to cross. Otherwise just have an award for smelliest SASer 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom