soflo bumper/bedliner hybrid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does this bumper have gas struts to hold the swings open? Never seen anything about it.

no struts to hold them open just a basic bearing setup. I put some bungee cords on the bottom to hold it from swinging all the way out and bashing the tire off the tail light

Curious how you are feeling about this bumper 1.5-months after install.

I backed it into a tree setting up camp last week and it took it well. I wish it had stoppers on the swings but the bumper is what i expected so i am happy so far.

I want to like this bumper...

Can you measure how low the rear side wings go down? I'm curious how much rear clearance you give up when using this bumper vs. a slee/BIOR/4x4Labs/etc.

This bumper is definitely not designed with wheeling in mind... It looks like you are basically at factory numbers for clearance and approach angles.

I've seen some pictures of the "ladder" style bumper and it looks a little less bulky. If these guys locally (as-in the US) are all in the $2500 ballpark for a similarly equipped bumper I wonder where all the cost savings is. I know the labor is cheaper but must be saving in other areas too....I guess there have been finish complaints as OP noted.

100 series rear bumper

The white one on post #25 looks like it is close to other aftermarket offerings. Certainly not a high clearance bumper by any means. Looks more like the depth of the ARB rear.

This bumper is definitely not designed with wheeling in mind... It looks like you are basically at factory numbers for clearance and approach angles.

I get that. I'm not super wheeler, I just like to explore and take my kids camping. If it keeps the departure angle the same as stock, I would be fine with it for the price.

I've seen some pictures of the "ladder" style bumper and it looks a little less bulky. If these guys locally (as-in the US) are all in the $2500 ballpark for a similarly equipped bumper I wonder where all the cost savings is. I know the labor is cheaper but must be saving in other areas too....I guess there have been finish complaints as OP noted.

The cost savings is coming out of RD, quality welds and fit up, finish, materials, and small details (like hinges, clamps, and hardware).

I get that. I'm not super wheeler, I just like to explore and take my kids camping. If it keeps the departure angle the same as stock, I would be fine with it for the price.

Sure, I can appreciate that. I think if you are using it more for camping/overland type stuff, you are still going to run into some issues with the soflo... not having swingouts that lock out will be problem...

The Slee has the lockouts and stops to keep the wings open and in place.
24e50568-4019-4bba-bac6-341e4dce9c36-jpeg.1662423

The cost savings is coming out of RD, quality welds and fit up, finish, materials, and small details (like hinges, clamps, and hardware).

Sure, I can appreciate that. I think if you are using it more for camping/overland type stuff, you are still going to run into some issues with the soflo... not having swingouts that lock out will be problem...

The Slee has the lockouts and stops to keep the wings open and in place.
24e50568-4019-4bba-bac6-341e4dce9c36-jpeg.1662423

Yeah that’s what I like about bumpers with gas struts. Though I suppose they couldn’t be that hard to add.

I dont get the point of this bumper if someone is staying with 33in tires bc a 33 will fit in the stock location.
I dont see the value, it does not seem to improve departure angle...... seems like an expensive jerry/ water can holder to me.......

Well that and a bumper.
They come from the factory with a bumper... I would argue that a factory bumper cover and a hitch are better than this bumper.
The stock bumper cover bends and gives while the hitch offers some protection

Again I just dont see the value in it

I dont get the point of this bumper if someone is staying with 33in tires bc a 33 will fit in the stock location.
I dont see the value, it does not seem to improve departure angle...... seems like an expensive jerry/ water can holder to me.......

I mostly agree with you. The soflo does miss one of the biggest criteria - departure angle - in a big big way. But, at least, as it's dragging its large ass over stuff, it'll likely hold together - where the OE plastic bumper cover would tear off.

It reminds me of my dad's explanation for a radio tower when I was a little kid:
Me: Dad, what's that red blinking light up there for?
Dad: So planes don't hit the tower
Me: What's the tower for?
Dad: To hold that red light.

Except if you get a flat in sandy or muddy conditions. Don't really feel like trying to get the spare lowered and out from under the truck. That's why I wanted a swingout while having 33" tires. I have the BIOR bumper, so I actually increased departure angle.

@geanes I understand that. but I am willing to take the risk until my build resumes.

My point is why not get a DIY 4x4Labs kit and find a local welder to do it for you - get a lot more bang for the buck IMO.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with you. The soflo does miss one of the biggest criteria - departure angle - in a big big way. But, at least, as it's dragging its large ass over stuff, it'll likely hold together - where the OE plastic bumper cover would tear off.

I have hit my rear numerous times and It has held up fine albiet with stratches. I cant get over ugly it is...... I couldnt put something so ugly on such a great looking truck like the 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom