So what do ya think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I was bored for the past few weeks with no internet to visit mud.... but I had more time to cut and paste.....

What is it? Kinda looks like a big cardboard box, maybe its a soft top though? Explain the idea a bit for us.

Looks cool.
Canback soft shell on a 55 converted to pickup.

Well... its kinda along the same lines as the Rover 130. For pig owners.. over the years we have seen our share of people converting the FJ55 into some kinda of pickup. They all look backyardish. Well I wanted to do something that would make it look more factory. As if Toyota really made something as an FJ55-130 pickup.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. Get another set of front doors, graft the upper onto a new lower, move the D pillar to the C pillar. It would be angular than what you have pictured, but it might look "right". Building the bottom end might be a bit of a chore to get it to look okay though....

ridgerunner said:
I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. Get another set of front doors, graft the upper onto a new lower, move the D pillar to the C pillar. It would be angular than what you have pictured, but it might look "right". Building the bottom end might be a bit of a chore to get it to look okay though....

I have several different designs but that one seemed to work better with my minds eye. Altough I would rather have some windows in the back similar to the FJ45 trucks and I should have made the space between the rear cab and the cargo canvas better so it looked like it was seperate.

The frame would need to be cut and lenghtened for the 130 wheelbase. Yes the rear door was modified just as you said it Brian. Use the front doors lower corner and the B -pillar with a modified C pillar. With factory drivetrain Im not sure if I would try and use a rear driveshaft like those on the ford f350 crewcab longbeds.

Also my tires look like chopped arse... so if someone is game to clean the lines up... add better tires... or other stuff.... that would be nice.

Really... we need someone better then my lousy skills to redo the whole truck... It needs better looking tires... that front axle needs to be moved forward another inch or two.... and the rear of the cab needs to be cleaned up as well as the canback part.... hmmm.... I would like to see this get built. Maybe a project after I get a real job.

Ok... my knowledge of PS is limited... but I moved the front axle forward at least 1.5 inches... and I extended the rear of the cab and added a corner window... I tried to clean the tires up some so they dont look so much like crap... so how does it look now?

Last edited:
I think thats more sheetmetal than the 55 has. Its too long

Its longer cause its based off the 130 wheelbase. The frame has to be lengthened. It would take a scarp pig to fill in the rest. The bed is actually made from the same FJ55 , and the rear doors being modified with the lower rear of front doors. The rear corner windows come from 40 series. The tires shown are suppoused to be 35's with one heck of a lift. Being it is based off the Rover Defender 130 crewcab.
http://www.laatuautot.com/lohjan_laatuautot/images/defender_130_double_cap2.jpg
So it isnt meant to be a rockcrawler. Very doable in my opinion. I did shave off a few inches from the wheel base in the photo... this might be closer to 130 then what I had there... the one above might be more like 145. Does this look better?

Last edited:
minipigg, you got it man, that would be sweet.. you could tow a nice expedition trailer and drive all over the worl in that thing... I bet there is something like it in AUS already. When I was in Africa, some outfits had cruisers in various incarnations to suite the needs. Here is one:

game veiwer 70 series

anything is possible and it seems like you would need some more early cruiser sheet metal but maybe the 40 that donates the portion of hardtop also donates some sheet metal. I still would like to see a rack over the canback. That is a cool idea in general though. Perfect for expedition.

Ive been to Africa a few times. Cool place to visit. I really would like to go on a group Expedition down in South America with other cruiserheads.

Im not very good with the photochopping. At least not with the software I have now. Ive been trying it out and learning new stuff so maybe later on I can PS like a pro. Still dont know how to cut and paste round objects such as tires.

Some one else might have to put on the Expedition rack. I have some photo's but dont know how to cut, size, paste them. They never seem to work out to the correct size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom