smog system needed march/79 fj40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have inherited a march/79 fj40 from out of state that has been completely de-smoged. the sticker under hood says conforms to us epa regs 1979 under 4000ft. and catalyst. it currently has a header and a holley. i know there is a long list of high dollar items to bring this back to smogable status i.e carb,air pump,air manifold,egr,ehx manifold,and i am sure many more.
with that being said, how do i obtain a complete system so i can make it CA legal?
Is there so much missing that its just not worth bringing it back to stock?
I'am very fond of the straight 6. but may have to face the facts and do a engine swap. maybe a 3fe?
thanks in advance
Billy

It's not that hard nor expensive and well worth doing since a smog-era fj40 that complies is worth more $$.

Get an emissions manual from SOR for your year. You may still have the computer near the fuse box on the driver's side kick panel. The VSV is a fairly expensive part and likely missing. (?) SOR probably has it if you can't get it elsewhere. Edit: $68.

You need to decide if it's a federal or CA smog system. Either can pass, but the manual is different and some parts are different.

The smog man doesn't have access to the details you have. If you were to get a complete set of smog parts from an '80 or '81 fj60 you'd be good to go, maybe later years too.

Ditch the Holley. It will never pass nor run well off road. Consider the carb part of the smog system and get it from the donor vehicle. If it needs to be rebuilt (likely), send it over to Mark at Mark's Off Road. He rebuilt mine and it continues to pass after 5 years without any trouble.

This is just a guess, but from what I have seen it seems to use the same smog parts from the same vintage FJ60s, which are much more abundant.

how do i know if it is federal or CA? or both?
yes the emissions controller is still there near fuse block.
but nothing on the drivers side fender. just wire harness with a handful of connectors.

how do i know if it is federal or CA? or both?
yes the emissions controller is still there near fuse block.
but nothing on the drivers side fender. just wire harness with a handful of connectors.

It should say on the emissions sticker if it is California...

100_08091-Copy.jpg

79-80 smog stuff is very similar to 81-87 smog stuff, so some of the parts can be used in both applications.

IMHO, it would be easy to use the entire 81-87 management system and end up w/ a better driving truck. But it would not quite match the 79 underhood vac sticker.
Dunno if anybody would actually know or care.

ok i my sticker underhood does not say california. so i guess its just federal.
I assume that catalyst means i must put a cat back on this vehicle?

Like Fast Eddy said, getting a FSM is a good place to start, IMO the best place.;)

Make a list of what you're missing, and post a want ad.

I can supply you with pretty much all those parts if need be.

And, as an FYI, you don't HAVE to go back to a cast iron exhaust manifold; there is a 50-state smog-legal header option.;)

Best

Mark A.

And, as an FYI, you don't HAVE to go back to a cast iron exhaust manifold; there is a 50-state smog-legal header option.;)

Best

Mark A.

Can that work on my FJ55?

:doh:

Yes, to be CA legal it will have to have a cat, a good imitation of all the underhood smog gear, and it has to blow reasonably clean on the sniffer.

Sorry for the hijack, but this post got me going:

"a good imitation of all the underhood smog gear..."

I have always thought that my truck could run better, cleaner, and get better mileage without most of this antiquated smog crap strapped onto it, while still complying to the current emissions standards.

It complies just fine right now, But I'm wondering if I can increase the performance a bit, simplify the underhood complexity and offroad reliabiity and still drive it legally here.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom