Factory power steering pump to smog pump location on '79 FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, I would like to move my Toyota factory power steering pump to the smog pump location on my '79 FJ40. And retain the ability of the smog pump mount to tension the belt. I've scoured MUD for information on how to do this, whether its been done. Including the advance search function which is not a guarantee I didn't miss something. Inevitably all the information I've found is about mounting a GM pump in the smog pump location. My question to the forum: Has anyone done this with the Toyota factory pump, how was it accomplished? Let me know please and thanks in advance.

There are only two factory locations to mount a factory Toyota P/S pump on a 2F. Upper passenger and upper driver. Upper driver requires holes in block to thread bracket into.

I could tell you each nuance, but I recommend you look at the diagrams for the 2F (80-87 Fj40 and FJ60 share design), 3F (non-usa) and 3-FE (USA).

All are options that allow you to retain full functionality with PS, you just have to pick which works with your engine/air cleaner and how many parts you want to shop for.

There are only two factory locations to mount a factory Toyota P/S pump on a 2F. Upper passenger and upper driver. Upper driver requires holes in block to thread bracket into.

I could tell you each nuance, but I recommend you look at the diagrams for the 2F (80-87 Fj40 and FJ60 share design), 3F (non-usa) and 3-FE (USA).

All are options that allow you to retain full functionality with PS, you just have to pick which works with your engine/air cleaner and how many parts you want to shop for.
Yes, I'm aware of that. My '79 FJ40 is equipped with factory power steering and factory air, I'm not adding it. Meaning the power steering pump is in the upper driver side location. Also means there are 3 V-belts. I particularly don't like the long one linking the alternator and power steering pump pulleys to the crank pulley, all 3 have less than 180 degrees of wrap, the rule of thumb for properly designed belt drive systems. I'm about to de-smog this rig beginning with the AI subsystem. I could leave the air pump in place - simply disconnect it - but it occurred to me how much more accessible the manifold side of the engine would be if the power steering pump were moved down to where the smog pump was. I'm sure some fabrication is needed, aside from having a way to adjust belt tension, the power steering pump pulley would need to be moved over to align with the crank pulley and water pump. Hence the question: Has anyone done this, how hard is it, what was required?

If you are willing to ditch the stock PS pump this is easy. Get a PS pump and mount from an 80s Tercel. It will bolt into the smog pump bracket with washers as shims. The setup I ran when I had minitruck PS; worked great. My 79 had the engine swapped to an earlier 2F, so I had no holes for a stock pump mount on the driver side. Also, The wide bus/truck belts used on these engines is why they work just fine with less than ideal belt wrap. Don't get hung up on how much belt wrap you have. If you have no belt squeal or slippage, you are good.

I swapped from the stock location on my 79 40 to saginaw pump and mount so i would not be on the same pulley as the alternator and I prefer the sag pumps. Also, I wanted both belts on the water pump in case one were to fail. I had been using an idler pulley in place of the smog pump before the swap. I did modify the mount i bought to be a little lower.

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

71261581520__8B66AA2D-B1C7-4371-803F-1CDF86940A5D.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

If you are willing to ditch the stock PS pump this is easy. Get a PS pump and mount from an 80s Tercel. It will bolt into the smog pump bracket with washers as shims. The setup I ran when I had minitruck PS; worked great. My 79 had the engine swapped to an earlier 2F, so I had no holes for a stock pump mount on the driver side. Also, The wide bus/truck belts used on these engines is why they work just fine with less than ideal belt wrap. Don't get hung up on how much belt wrap you have. If you have no belt squeal or slippage, you are good.
Thanks for the great suggestion, I'll drop by the local wrecking yard and see if they have this. I did have it in mind to keep the stock pump but if it proves to be more trouble than its worth I need to entertain alternatives. Or live with it as is, its a battle to keep the belt quiet.

I swapped from the stock location on my 79 40 to saginaw pump and mount so i would not be on the same pulley as the alternator and I prefer the sag pumps. Also, I wanted both belts on the water pump in case one were to fail. I had been using an idler pulley in place of the smog pump before the swap. I did modify the mount i bought to be a little lower.

View attachment 3540538

View attachment 3540539

View attachment 3540540

View attachment 3540541

View attachment 3540542
Wow, that is one clean looking 2F! Clearly there are more options for doing this with the Saginaw pump than with the Toyota pump. Maybe I need to be more open minded about not keeping the factory pump. The Sag installation does look nice and compact in the photos. Looks like you've done a steering conversion, that's on my list as well. Thanks for the excellent photos.

I see you have a Holley Sniper, how is that working out? Are you seeing improvements in drivability and mileage? Also noticed the cool looking adapter you made for the factory air cleaner. Nice.

Thanks for the compliments. I don’t have a lot of miles on the sniper yet but cold starts this winter have been really easy. I got the air cleaner adapter from @FJ60Cam really nice product. The steering is FJ60 and simplifies the linkages. The bracket for the saginaw pump came from @orangefj45 - I did modify the bracket though to make it mount lower and a little further away from the manifold.

Nice work!!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom