Slow Mo(tion), No Mo(ney) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the bolt you're using on the rear of the battery box for, to relieve pressure on the fusible link? Is it a copper bolt or something? Is that of your own design? I like it.

Yes - After installing the military type battery terminals (for which wiring) the poor fuseable links were stretched to the max.

I installed a "stud" (bolt with brass flat washers and brass star lock washers and nylock nut) and use a heavy gauge wire to extend the B+ to the back of the battery box. Could also be used for adding other accessories (lights etc...) Really, it is just a cheap B+ bus bar.

The fuseable link eyelet is directly contacting the heavy gauge battery cable eyelet -the bolt, nut, and brass washers hold it all tight through a hole drilled into the battery box.

It was inspired by this kit (but mine is not as complete). I need the LCP kit ASAP!

Feed up with your crappy 80 series battery mount? LCP has a fix

Battery Bracket Upgrade - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

battery cable.JPG

Alright, got a few more things done.

Front drive shaft U-joints replaced (GMB 2150021 for both). One cap / cross was totally dry and rusted. Both u-joints were frozen. Amazing how new u-joints quiet and smooth out the entire truck. Will be doing the rear shaft soon.

IMG_0974.JPG

Installed LED bulbs in the doors and map light. WOW what a difference. I used a 912 / 921 high output LED, they barely fit - works great!

These are the ones for the doors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749P998S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the map light:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128VFOXG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0973.JPG

Since it is 30F and sunny (nice weather), got some work done.

- Finally looked at my OME lift springs to see what was installed by the previous owner.
OME 851 in the front
OME 860 in the rear

- Pulled rear drive shaft for new u-joints. The front U-joint was stiff, the rear feels like new, 224K.

- Since i was under there, I cut and removed the entire rear brake proportioning valve (LSVP) linkage assembly. I zip-tied the valve upward to increase rear brake force, is this correct? I wont get to drive the truck til the rear driveshaft is back in to test the brakes.

Removed all this:
20181230_141231.jpg

Cut and zip-tied the linkage rod upward - is this right? :
20181230_141122.jpg

Last edited:
a

Last edited:
Since it's 40F and sunny in JANUARY, IN MINNESOTA, I took some time to get the LC ready to go.

Today I painted the rear bumper (spray truck bed liner) and mounted the HI-Lift Jack using the Hi-Lift 4XRAC mounts:

4xRAC | Hi-Lift® Jack Co.

It turned out very solid, and no interference with the tailgate. Good to go!

View attachment 1870896

Last edited:
Yes - After installing the military type battery terminals (for which wiring) the poor fuseable links were stretched to the max.

I installed a "stud" (bolt with brass flat washers and brass star lock washers and nylock nut) and use a heavy gauge wire to extend the B+ to the back of the battery box. Could also be used for adding other accessories (lights etc...) Really, it is just a cheap B+ bus bar.

The fuseable link eyelet is directly contacting the heavy gauge battery cable eyelet -the bolt, nut, and brass washers hold it all tight through a hole drilled into the battery box.

It was inspired by this kit (but mine is not as complete). I need the LCP kit ASAP!

Feed up with your crappy 80 series battery mount? LCP has a fix

Battery Bracket Upgrade - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

View attachment 1851769

I love when guy's do the bolt through the battery box, you know if you touch your cluster there with a wrench you'll toast the fuseable link , it is not a wise idea for that :meh::meh::meh:

Yes, been ther, dont that on another truck. Thinking of
I love when guy's do the bolt through the battery box, you know if you touch your cluster there with a wrench you'll toast the fuseable link , it is not a wise idea for that :meh::meh::meh:

Good idea - I'll create a nice little boot to cover it up. Thanks!

Update - Braking performance was greatly improved by adjusting / modifying the rear brake proportioning valve (LSVP) as shown above. The brake pedal is much higher and firmer - nice!

Also - it is supposed to get -30F here this week, plugged in the block heater for the first time - hope it doesn't create any issues and actually works.

Stay warm!

Lots of snow today! My commute home was a blast on un-plowed back roads.

Excellent traction on the ice and snow. - 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers - 33psi. Used high range with the center diff locked, I noticed more traction and better handling in deep snow with the CDL locked.

Because snow:

Got new license plates and found that some mud members use the front plate to cover the winch opening to prevent snow / ice etc..from getting in there.

Used maglight "D" mounts to attach to winch fair-lead. Used 4 rivets to attach mounts to plate. (also a mud member idea)

Not bad for $8. (yes, I did go back and clean up the rivets)

Last edited:
Productive weekend:
315 Milestar Patagonia Installed
30mm front spring spacers (OME medium lift already installed)
7 pin mod done (CDL Switch installed on dash already)
Extended breathers installed
Removed front swaybar

Last edited:
Why did you remove the front sway? They have the disconnects for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom