Slow Mo(tion), No Mo(ney) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumper Cut to Fit:

(BTW - this site rocks for information - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

20180929_125914.jpg

20180929_125926.jpg

20180929_125937 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great starting point!

Since you're in MN, I would recommend KEEPING the rear heat and just doing a rear heat hard-line bypass. Basically, run hoses instead of removing it.

You got a great deal for all that was done to the truck!

To keep it from rusting into nothingness, consider doing FluidFilm under it 2X/year.

If your as far north as Polaris would indicate, your in the GWN!

Welcome! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Alright, going over mounting locations for the solar panel. 30W - 5A Thermo King ThermoLite panel kit part #401414. The panel is 13x21". It comes with a nice mounting bracket, hardware, module, wiring 12' in length.

The roof would be the best, but I have not figured out my roof rack yet, and I am not crazy about drilling a hole in the roof to run the wires to the engine bay.

The hood of the LC (or any vehicle) is a big waste of space. I have thoughts about mounting it to the hood at a forward angle to reduce glare.

Thoughts...roof or hood?

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

The roof would be better than the hood. Less chance of rock chip and bugs. Under the sun roof glass? Is that possible :meh:

Alright, the slow road to baseline continues:

1. Tightened the front wheel bearings this weekend. All looked good, but nuts not even finger tight.

2. Installed a set of 9006 low beam LEDs from Amazon. Unbelievably better that the OEM bulb output. They did require re-aiming.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKVZM1F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Replaced the Fuesable Link assembly (thanks Witt's End!). The original part was well worn, insulation cracked, and deformed. The new one is so pretty! The pic below shows the NAPA military battery terminals too - nice and clean battery layout for an old PIG.
IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

4. I wanted to post a pic of what it looks like when the air intake hose cracks during an air filter install. A new intake hose is under $25 on Amazon. I'd recommend replacing it ASAP if your rig has any miles on it. We will see how long this China one lasts.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FY4FK3B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0876.JPG

Last edited:
Nice truck! Looks like its in awesome shape. Which bulbs did you get? looks like there are a few variations on that amazon link. Ive been mulling over doing this upgrade.

Thank you!

LEDs:

The link no longer shows the 9006 / HB4 option for some reason.

I only chose these because of the good reviews at it was on "lightening sale" for $25.

This is the title of the ones I ordered:
"HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-9006(HB4),9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty"

Install was easy, only needed to set the coolant tank to the side to access the passenger side bulb.

The electrical connection is reversible, so you just need to line up the + with + and the - with -. Easy.

Here is the box:

IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG

Removed the OEM roof rack to mount the Thermo King solar panel kit (pn 401414). Found some nasty-ness under the mounts.

Cleaned up the roof rack mounting areas, bed lined the area to seal it, new RTV around the riv-nuts, cleaned and greased the mounting screws, solar panel mounted. Amazingly the riv-nuts were nice and tight, no issues removing or installing the screws.

The OEM roof rack is not very strong, very weak mounting - not much holds it together. I look forward to getting a rain gutter mounted unit.

I will route the harness along with the snorkel when I get that installed.

The plan is to eventually bed line the entire vehicle - got to love black Land Cruisers!

Nasty:

20181027_125646.jpg

Not so nasty:
20181027_131318.jpg

Nice and tight:
20181027_143721.jpg

View attachment 1818905

Dang Nuts. Looks like I need to bypass the rear heater sooner than I thought. Leaving on a 500 mile trip for deer hunting on Thursday, glad happened now, in the driveway.

20181029_165029.jpg

What a mess of old hoses and clamps. The heater valve fitting also broke when I touched it.

I by-passed the rear heater because of a leak (see my last post), and totally eliminated the heater control valve, so simple, so clean.

It is 44F here, it blows HOT when the temp selector is in the RED, it blows 44F when the heat slider is in the blue. I'll see how it works in the summer. I can always add the heater control valve back in when I do the PHH bypass.

I used Gates hose # 28471 to do BOTH of the 5/8" hoses that connect to the firewall. Some new clamps and a couple 5/16" coolant hoses were also replaced since I was in there.

IMG_0897.JPG
Hose 1.JPG

The OEM interior lighting is absolutely horrible on these trucks.

I found a 4 pack of (31mm) LED dome light bulbs on Amazon. 280 lumen.

Amazon and $5 later = Fixed.

Here are the Amazon Bulbs: Click here

IMG_0969.JPG

Before:
IMG_0970.JPG

3 Minutes Later:

IMG_0971.JPG

Last edited:
What's the bolt you're using on the rear of the battery box for, to relieve pressure on the fusible link? Is it a copper bolt or something? Is that of your own design? I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom