Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 35 is coming along great, I love all the attention to detail that you have put into it! I'm finally getting started on my 45-ish build using parts from two rusted 40 tubs. I really like your cab length. I remember you saying its 8" longer than a standard 45 cab. I don't have access to a real 45 to use a a reference point, so I was wondering if you could give me a measurement from the seam behind the door to the back of the cab? I would really appreciate it! Thanks...Ed.View attachment 2650733
I'm getting ready to do the same. Been collecting 40's and parts for years so I can build my extended cab 45 out of my 40 parts. The bed I still haven't figured out, might go early 80's bed....but not sure.

I'm getting ready to do the same. Been collecting 40's and parts for years so I can build my extended cab 45 out of my 40 parts. The bed I still haven't figured out, might go early 80's bed....but not sure.
@CaptClose can help you with a bed

Was able to find a pretty rare item up in Oregon, pictured below is a safari windshield will need to adapt the window vents for the defroster however I am pleased with my find.View attachment 1062340 View attachment 1062341
I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about 40's but I didn't know a safari windshield was a factory option, I've seen one maybe two prior pics of them but thought it was someone's after market mod. That is so freaking cool!!!

I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about 40's but I didn't know a safari windshield was a factory option, I've seen one maybe two prior pics of them but thought it was someone's after market mod. That is so freaking cool!!!
They were factory built for the Pakistan army only as far as I have been able to determine. Yes they are a novelty and very hard to find. The one I was able to get was offered to me from a guy in Oregon. I have spent some time adapting 1970 wipers and getting some windshield rubber for the glass. I have test fit it and it seems to fit in place on the 70 cowl and I am excited to be able to find it for my project.

The 35 is coming along great, I love all the attention to detail that you have put into it! I'm finally getting started on my 45-ish build using parts from two rusted 40 tubs. I really like your cab length. I remember you saying its 8" longer than a standard 45 cab. I don't have access to a real 45 to use a a reference point, so I was wondering if you could give me a measurement from the seam behind the door to the back of the cab? I would really appreciate it! Thanks...Ed.View attachment 2650733
I would say it's personal choice depending on what you need.

I would say it's personal choice depending on what you need.
Alberta Mac
Ya it is, I know some like a bit bigger space behind the seat that is what is nice about our sport we can all make our rides how we like um
To our taste TNX for the remainder.
Best

Hi Peeps
I sliced of some time off today and part of last Saturday to get back on this project, it has been some time as i have been commuting to Sacramento for work it is finally coming to an end and as of March 31 i will be officially done after 13 mo, i am working 3 days a week from now till then. the pics today are of the camper trailer. passenger side is all done fit welded and most of the body work is done, i like to get it as close as i can W/O any filler and i think i am there. next saturday i will finish the passenger side then just a few of the last welding tabs for the accessories. you have seen the axle and i need a bit of machine work from my buddy, front hitch welded on then to the powder coater. it took some time to get the tail gate even with the fender just time and adjustment and it is perfect as you can see in the first 2pics next 2 are of the passenger side fender it has 14 ga lower pieces time consuming to get te warps out but i got um. last 2 are saturdays work coming up finish the rosetts and grind and finish body this side is a bit better and i won’t have to massagie the metal and finally the tail gate from Awl Tec
i think it will be a great looking set up to pull behind the 35 with a pop up tent.

03E5FE6E-EAE2-43D7-9CBB-060EEC67BEBE.jpeg

9E07A907-7985-494C-B254-11DED7F37160.jpeg

2213DABA-29D9-4431-BB75-99046346C66A.jpeg

F455D01B-CAF0-404C-8E36-1FAF5659C069.jpeg

6B1BB1AE-4824-48E3-9EB5-91B25710D20C.jpeg

Nice work well done.

Back from a 2 + week get away with the wife. Checking out some possible places to live other than Cali, noting I could do. However I picked up the rear bed sides that I roughed in and had a guy finish it for me. Just sitting there with clamps. Will need to cut out the rear rt lower corner to fit around the bumper so I can lower it about 1” or less all and all I am a happy boy. Now I can finish the bed and rear bumper. Feels good to be home and back on track. View attachment 2481345
Did you ever find another place to live other than Cali? I love it up here in the PNW and we need more cruisers up here :cool:

Today was devoted to catching up on loose ends, grinding all the welds straightened the top rails to the bed and all the welds to the trailer that that needed to be completed after we took the bed off the frame. So here are some of the welds that we finished and i sent the frame out of the garage to get some space to button up the bed boxes . The final destination is the powder coater/blaster to get them ready for the painter to complete his part. i keep inching my way slow but sure.

2C64477F-6762-4601-8AA2-60076775E5BE.jpeg

7A5FCCBA-106E-4CB2-9E41-2D7A6ECD3014.jpeg

B07997BE-B362-4070-A44D-DD374DAC95EF.jpeg

The long awaited pieces for the 35 bed are being shipped today, so now i can install them when they arrive maybe Friday. I will have more pics when i install them. The final process will be final blasting and primer powder coat the whole unite that will keep it from getting a rust coat before final paint.
FAA09846-27A6-4E48-B8C1-F549137C2ECF.png

47C455B5-B19A-44CA-B3DC-160AC3FFA7A3.png

AF5E735F-D886-4682-A53B-BA1BE9DEE83F.png

Very nice. Where is this being fabbed?

I have 2 rigs being put together my original 45 is in Idaho, this one that is a 45 the 45 clone stretched 8” is being built in my garage in the chico area

Oh so you fabbed these? Awesome!

No a friend up in Washington did the repairs on them, they were bent dented and rusted out but original. He has all the specialized machinery power hammers etal it was a bit above my head but done so i can move on. most of the other stuff i was able to do. on the build here. The 45 in Idaho another friend has done a great job at building it i go up once on a while and play like i am helping him it is great to spend time with him as i have learned a bunch in our 27 year friendship and many projects in the past.

In this setting I have put aside the trailer box and focused on the finish of the 35 bed. These beds seem like it never ends however I am making progress and getting closer to total finish. Today i have pics of the passenger side fender on inner fender wheel well in place and all rosetted on. Sllw and go with the welding so I made sure i didn't warp the previous work. still there will be a little bit of shrink disk work to move some metal around and get them flat. My goal is to not use any filler almost an impossible Task but it will be just a skim coat to make the areas perfect. Lighting was an issue so it was hard to give you a good view for your eyes.

EF87E8CC-1B04-4614-866F-3CA31D0C5AD3.jpeg

D222F787-AC13-4C56-94B3-7BF1224E0BE4.jpeg

04F44E2D-F3F8-44C4-BB37-0273A1DD681C.jpeg

Now for the outside quarters , it seemed like there were a million rosetts I did back the weld areas when possible with a copper block while welding. then used air to cool down the area , made the back of the welds very smooth and will be able to clean them up with little grinding. Don’t think I got any warpage at all.

4F0ADD85-DBB5-4F90-BCD7-7237E6A692F0.jpeg

C4B2C1BD-2EED-4DE1-8681-5FC48FF4D9FA.jpeg

A7F7D4C8-CBB9-4F04-B4B7-41575FBB804F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom