Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

9A532A09-4D99-42E7-BC04-13E3554F2E17.jpeg

6EAF20F7-06A8-41AD-A379-F126DFB6EF01.jpeg

Just got back the 8274 parts that I had powder coated this last week. The main aluminum parts I bead blasted and went with clear the others in Black. Next week it goes back together with a new 6 hp motor and electronic switches along with a wireless to be able to make it real usable. All new parts and bearings should be good to go.

Last edited:
Here are the supportsor uprights for the bed I had folded up at my local metal shop that does this stuff. Guys like it when I come in say it get them out of the routine of the stuff they are doin. I tried to make them look as close to factory as possible. Next get busy...

Here are the supportsor uprights for the bed I had folded up at my local metal shop that does this stuff. Guys like it when I come in say it get them out of the routine of the stuff they are doin. I tried to make them look as close to factory as possible. Next get busy...
when I was working for my dad (he owns a company that does stainless steel commercial kitchen equipment), we had a few hot rodders who'd come though to get stuff done. Can't say I enjoyed most of them, but there were two - a guy with a 68 Mustang fastback that he was making into a shelby-looking beast (with a twin turbo side oiler that I built turbo manifolds for among other things) and a guy with an utterly stock 50 Chevy pickup that I really enjoyed working with (his most memorable part was forming a new hood without the seam for him). The rest - it was always too expensive and took too much time.

when I was working for my dad (he owns a company that does stainless steel commercial kitchen equipment), we had a few hot rodders who'd come though to get stuff done. Can't say I enjoyed most of them, but there were two - a guy with a 68 Mustang fastback that he was making into a shelby-looking beast (with a twin turbo side oiler that I built turbo manifolds for among other things) and a guy with an utterly stock 50 Chevy pickup that I really enjoyed working with (his most memorable part was forming a new hood without the seam for him). The rest - it was always too expensive and took too much time.

Cool story bro

Sweet build so far @47coeman. Keep it up

TNX’s for sharing the story, I do enjoy the extra parts things and appreciate the availability of having the sources to get special stuff broke up to my specs. Spent all morning cleaning up and organizing my stuff so I can get busy later. Kinda anal about when I do stuff kinda like an operating table just makes it fun and the quality of works seems to be more enjoyable. I have a neighbor coming over to help me as it seem’s that I need 6 hands to make the platform level measuring, meaning not running back and forth to each side using my energy.

Getting back on the 35 and continuing the assembly of the bed and headboard. As you can see in the pic the head board is my starting point and getting the right bed height. Once I get that established I will be able to go to the next phase and the floor is next. Some where in there I will be welding on the bed uprights so I don’t get the egg before the chicken, just a piece at a time.

TNX for the acalaids, I have made a promice to myself that I would get this project going and completed before I jump in the hole and push up grass. I also have a real 45 that started out as a remoter and it has turned into a full but and bolt re-do frame is toast. Both will have Mercedes 606 diesels the problem is the $ that it takes to make it happen is large. I have the biggest parts picked up for both and the running gear in hand and ready.
I am retired but went back to work to pile up some $ and I am in good shape now just need time
In the shop and discipline to make it happen.

02418F20-F9D3-46FA-8CD1-43E5AD25BD15.jpeg
Started doing the preliminary lay out of the bed fixtures or the uprights this morning. Trying to measure every possible way to be sure of the proper figment. The head board will be 3” higher as well as the floor from what is seen in the pic. I was concerned that the axel humps would be in the way, lucked out on that one have about 1/2” to spare. Next I will finish with the head board and go from there.

24F8E2CC-3944-481A-814D-4DB0B9BDB15B.jpeg
SBG
It’s been a great project so far however going slow, would like to ramp it up a bit.
As for the diesel part I am a diesel guy and enjoy the great mileage and performance associated with it. I have another project going consecutively with started out with a reeingine
24F8E2CC-3944-481A-814D-4DB0B9BDB15B.jpeg

And has turned into a full resto and had most of my attention. It is a real 45 and it is going to be stock except the engine. Yes you guessed it a diesel Mercedes 606
Set for 250-300 hp jacked up pump and injectors larger turbo you know the drill. Below is the massaged pump 603 mechanical delivering 160cc of fuel if needed.

It has been awhile my New Years Resulition is get back on it. Spent the last couple of day’s messing around getting the sub structure to the bed all layed out. Not hard but tedious to get the frame of the truck level to the floor then
c-clamp in place the uprights then attach the crossmembers. All leveled and spaced so the floor and wheel wells will work. Glad it is behind me been avoiding it.
222B8FED-6927-4035-92C3-489516DD7CCE.jpeg
222B8FED-6927-4035-92C3-489516DD7CCE.jpeg
5D38E3DE-86D0-4A27-8C5D-F90D1F96E6AB.jpeg
5D38E3DE-86D0-4A27-8C5D-F90D1F96E6AB.jpeg

Question for you, as I will be at similar spot soon. I have an 80 frame that has a much higher frame hump in it, so going to be a little different.... Anyway, can I assume that the cab tub rear wall should be setup 90 degrees to the angle that will be the truck bed? If not, how are you setting up your bed level?

The bed back board is Aprox 1.5”above the cab and top as a marker. I viewed several stock 45 to get that decision. Space is from the cab is about the same determined when I looked at the doner trucks. Yes the back of the bed is horizomtal to the cab with those dementions, any other questions ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom