Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pics above are of the springs off a rear 60 and on the rear are Chevy 63” just getting an idea of what they might need as to arching before I have that done soon rears are supporting the rear half and the fronts are 2.5” off the ground as the frame is level.

Back on the bed and just fitted the right side batterybox as the left is in process’s, duke battery set up. This bed material came through Awl_Teq many moons ago and I had to shorten many pieces to fit my project. Regular 45 bed is 86” mine will be 69” so you can see there be some slicing and dicing.

The top plates also needed to be resized so here is some pics of that process. It is nice that the metal thickness is 14ga plenty stout and much easier to weld and not warp.

I have a lot of admiration for someone who can weld sheet metal and not end up with a worn out cookie sheet.. I read about a special wire that was just for auto body work and it didn't need as much heat and was softer to grind so less heat in that part of the process as well. I have no idea what it is called.. nice work

I have herd of it, my friend who is a body man and fabricator has talked about it. He says it comes from Germany but we have not been able to locate it. If you hammerand dolly the welds when they are hot it tends to releave the stress some but the welds are still hard. The hard part is slow is faster and sometimes you get caught up with wanting to get it done and when you do that it ends up being a twisted mess. I keep saying to myself slower is faster and keep going back and forth with other things to keep me busy while I am doing sheet metal.

Just got some pics of my front bumper that Luke over 4x4 Labs just finished up. 8274 wench application, Things are a happening. Question for you guys grind the welds or not, pretty welds need to be seen I believe.

Started working on the bed again today. Have a pic of the rear apron with the old uprights so I can get some measurements. Being that the bed will be about 69” long I will nee to backwards plan and custom th fit the fenders this is the start of that process
A bunch of measuring clamping and then when I am satisfied I will tack it in place.

As you can see I was playing with the bottom plate to attach the new bracket that holds the rear quarter panel on or back fender. Tried to follow the stock figure mostly in cardboard, next transfer it to the steel bracket.

Here we have a long awaited completion of stage 2 of the bed. Next is floor and 1/4er panels to make it a complete bed. It was a process for sure getting the dam thing square and level. After a bunch of time effort and changed from stock I got it right. Next is completing the above processes and moving on to the front and rear housings install. That process will be ongoing with the bed assembly. Should be able to speed up now that I will have some help to work along with and a pocket full of $ to keep me going.

Today I welded in the frame stiffners front inside and rear outside in front and rear of the frame kick up making sure not to warp the frame as I completed it. Next go at it will be to tear down or take everything off the frame and flip it over to complete the underside portion’s that were not done. Then I can install the rears and make the necessary adjustments.
7ACCF7CB-2349-479F-90F7-A50B58108AB1.jpeg
F61A23A0-C6BB-4D41-93F6-111E09CB1112.jpeg
6ABF28C7-8623-4FD8-84D6-20A83DF6713C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom