Hilux Skinny 16 inch rims for solid axle Hilux? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 94 LN106 Hilux, and am considering switching to 7.50R16 tyres for various reasons, but I can't find any options for an aftermarket rim skinny enough. What are the options for a steel rim in an OE part number or aftermarket? I don't want to run split rims as they're so heavy and have no holes for a hi-lift jack buddy.

Watch the backspacing. Rims made for IFS trucks will rub the tierod ends.

^^^
What pappy said, and the front wheel studs are not long enough to run a shim spacer worth much without severely comprising lug nut thread engagement.

Spacers are illegal here in New Zealand so I am trying to find a suitable oe part number rim or aftermarket, with the correct offset and width to run 7.50R16s. The only option I can find is an ROH steel (Blaktrak) which is advertised in Australia but not New Zealand. I may have to just look at 235s and 16x7s

I have the same truck and have been trying to figure out the same thing as I would like to go to narrow 16s.

From what I can tell, there are two options beyond custom rims:
1)widen the axles (ifs hubs in front and ifs rear housing) which would then allow you to run stock ifs backspacing 16s; or
2) the 16” classic toyota alloys that come on some early 90s prados. I think this would narrow up the truck by about 0.5 in, but I have read they will fit. Maybe there is a 70 series steel equivalent that will fit?

If you find an answer please post it up!

@ntsqd that's a pretty epic site. Thanks for sharing.

Disagree, I've been taking steel wheels off for decades and installing alloys in their place. Have yet to not reduce the wheel weight in the process, and that is a good thing for on and off road behavior.

I get why guys like steel wheels and subscribed to that train of thought myself for quite a while. First set of alloys cured me. They're not THE solution for every situation, but they are the solution for all of my situations.

FWIW I've discovered that most top tier tire mfg's offer a tire in the 235/80R17 size, which has pretty much the same OD as the 235/85R16 but allows the use of OEM 17" wheels.

Not sure if you could get a set without the hubcap clips.

I'm running some of the Summit smoothie 16" steelies with a 235/85 R16 Yokohama Geolander MT's, I'm really happy with them, and like the tall skinny look...
IMG_20190818_191442473.jpg
IMG_20190818_191442473.jpg
IMG_20190818_191525262.jpg
IMG_20190818_194952365_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20190818_195050963.jpg

75 Years of TOYOTA | TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE | Vehicle Lineage | In-depth Vehicle Information, Specification

42601-60262-03 (16 inch, 6 inch width, 3.5 in backspacing.)
Will be just like the ones in the link. I have 235/85r16 duratracs on mine with those rims.

I also have a set of aluminum rims 8 inch wide with, -19mm offset, I think that comes to 3.75 inch backspacing. I think anymore and you would need spacers. But the rim still sits .25 closer and 1.75 further than the stock size but everything still fits in the fenders.

So there should be a good bit of options in the aftermarket if you want to keep a skinny rim but widen the stance.

They are the preferred tire size for US Domestic dually pick-ups and C&C's going back into the 70's. Which is why there are so many options in that size and they're all or nearly all E rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom