Upper Ball Joint on 84 Solid Axle 4WD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my truck in to get aligned and they gave me a list of stuff that is preventing them from aligning it. One thing on there is driverside upper ball joint. I just finished rebuilding the steering knuckles and do not recall anything resembling an upper ball joint. Does the 1984 solid axle 4wd truck have an upper ball joint?

The rest of the items were:

U joints in front and rear of driveline (worn out)
Gearbox actively leaking
Sway bar links worn out

They also recommended tire balance. The tires are dry rotting tho so those will be getting replaced asap.

The truck pulls to the right pretty aggresively and shakes at 45-50mph. I replaced the front wheel bearings which were definately shot, but unfortunately it didn't do much or anything to alleviate the pulling.

EDIT: I see you're in Juneau, cool. I'm in Fairbanks.

Where in AK are you? I think it's just toe in and caster for alignment on the SFA. Some guys can do a decent job of setting toe without using an alignment machine. Does the truck have lift springs? Possibly the tires are causing your problem. If you're in Anchorage/Wasilla area maybe check if Mark Whatley at Cruisers Only could take a look.

Where in AK are you? I think it's just toe in and caster for alignment on the SFA. Some guys can do a decent job of setting toe without using an alignment machine. Does the truck have lift springs? Possibly the tires are causing your problem. If you're in Anchorage/Wasilla area maybe check if Mark Whatley at Cruisers Only could take a look.
I'm up in Fairbanks. There's a ton of these trucks up here so I'm sure I can find a backyard mechanic who has some experience with these. I bought the truck to fix up and learn mechanics stuff so I might try and just give it a go myself, but from my research it seemed kinda tricky.

No lift springs. Yeah I can see new tires helping to some degree and they need to be replaced for saftey reasons anyway. Thanks for informing me about Cruisers Only. Didn't know about them.

Yep, I always set my toe with a tape measure. The first time I ever tried it, I got nervous and took it to a shop after I did it. The guy took it off the rack and said it's spot on so it's been a tape measure ever since.

there are no ball joints.
the only adjust is toe. just break out the tape measure.

jack up the front end and shake each wheel up and down , then side to side to check for slop that shouldn't be there.

this is correct. 1/8" toe, and be done.

There are no upper BJ's... there are just upper and lower kingpins. If you rebuilt them (new bearings, races, correct torque), there's nothing to do.

^ That could be what they're referring to as "ball joints". If you did not rebuild them or did so incorrectly it's a problem. Take Gnob's advice, for sure.

No sway bars or sway bar links on SFA's in Australia......

Well I called them today for clarification and they said that "ball joints" should not have been on the list and that the wheel did not in fact feel loose. Next time I have the truck up on jacks I'll give it some shakes. I kind of feel like I did that after rebuilding the knuckles and it felt good but will do again just to be sure. I really don't trust this shop now lol.

No sway bars or sway bar links on SFA's in Australia......
Interesting. I think they did come on the US versions. At least Rock Auto has swaybar links for the 84 4wd.

Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 6.30.40 PM.png

I never drove Patch ('84 Xcab 4x4) on stock front springs, so no idea how those behave, but I never felt like I needed the sway-bar with the OME front springs. The truck came to me with the sway-bar intact and with the first set of OME's already installed. At some point I removed one of the links and happened to drive it. Felt normal, couldn't really tell the difference with or without, so I removed it to make working on the truck easier. This is subjective though, others might have driven Patch and been scared to death. :)

I would check the tie-rod ends. That is really the only part on the truck that affects the alignment. While you are at it, I would check the drag link for wear. While having a buddy lightly turn the steering wheel make sure the linkage doesn't have any slop. It's easy to rebuild the drag link.

I never drove Patch ('84 Xcab 4x4) on stock front springs, so no idea how those behave, but I never felt like I needed the sway-bar with the OME front springs. The truck came to me with the sway-bar intact and with the first set of OME's already installed. At some point I removed one of the links and happened to drive it. Felt normal, couldn't really tell the difference with or without, so I removed it to make working on the truck easier. This is subjective though, others might have driven Patch and been scared to death. :)
I have OME springs in the front and Alcan in the rear with cross-over steering. I desperately need a sway bar. Buddy's driving behind me get sea sick watching me take turns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom