Show Me Your Chuckboxes/Camp Kitchen Setups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do not believe I have put any updated pics in here of my Trail Kitchens King Charles chuckbox.
Over Christmas vacation I put a Tembo Tusk fridge slide on top of my Goose Gear cargobox.
I added in the slide in case I do not want to setup a camp table, I can now cook out of the rig.

I had to add in some extended slide rails that protrude into the cargo area, but no worries, the space between is perfect for my Alu-boxes to fit into.

26.jpg

20.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Nice and strong, Corey. Looks like it will hold up to off road vibration.

I've gotten away from wood, wherever I can. No disrespect intended to those that have built storage solutions and chuckboxes out of wood. My 1st organizing effort in the back of my 80 was plywood, and I was always thinking - I got to upgrade, cause this ain't going to last...lol. From my experience, wood's just too heavy. And to make it stronger to hold up to the constant off road stress and vibration - it's just too heavy. Glue or thicker wood just gets too heavy and inefficient. Some have made it work, but for me - over time, it just comes apart and I was having to make repairs constantly. Even plywood breaks down and all the glue in it makes it heavy, also. In a house or other stationary environment, wood is excellent and actually preferred in some furniture for it's natural beauty.

Nice and strong, Corey. Looks like it will hold up to off road vibration.

I've gotten away from wood, wherever I can. No disrespect intended to those that have built storage solutions and chuckboxes out of wood.
Thanks!

Also you can see in the pic below why I had to go with the longer Accuride tracks for the fridge slide.
The stock ones would not let chuck out far enough top open the door/table to drop down.

18.jpg

Trail Kitchen was my choice & no regrets. I don't have any pics yet, but Camp Kitchen with the extended counterspace was my choice. Pretty spendy, but well constructed and I love being able to keep all the kitchen stuff together. Of course my old 2 burner Coleman won't fit inside, but does well on top in the center. Light enough, even loaded, to put in & out of my rig. Legs to stand alone, so convenient even at remote camp sites. I think I would have gone for King Charles Chuckbox, had it been available when I ordered mine last year. Nice price & well worth the $, IMHO. But, experiencing the campsites in overlanding that I've done, & not always having a picnic table, I'm content with my choice. Oh, & I plan to pick up a Tembo Tusk skottle to add a variety to my cusine...lol. :cheers:
Which Coleman do you have? I have a 413 and 425 and I have been considering the Trail Kitchen. I travel with 4 people. Do you think there is enough room for utensils,dishes and such? I carry a 11" fry pan, 3 qt sauce pan both with lids and a 8" cast iron skillet.

Which Coleman do you have? I have a 413 and 425 and I have been considering the Trail Kitchen. I travel with 4 people. Do you think there is enough room for utensils,dishes and such? I carry a 11" fry pan, 3 qt sauce pan both with lids and a 8" cast iron skillet.
I have the 413E...it's damn near as old as I am...lol. It was my Dads. I have a 3 burner somewhere in storage, not sure which model, but I like this one better. Yeah, like Corey, I didn't want to fill up the inside with a stove & IIRC, it is just a hair too long to fit except diagonally. I've got an aluminum cookware set, a couple of pans and a plastic dishpan inside. The drawer is awesome, too. If I get the chance later I'll pull it out of storage and get a pic.

Here are some pics of my setup pulled out of storage & taken in my garage:

413 Coleman stove, TK Camp Kitchen & custom made plywood (OMG...lol) addition

IMG_1525.JPG

I use the piece of plywood to protect the top while transporting and as a raised shelf while setup

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

A couple of pics to show storage size. It's mostly unloaded including drawer at this point. Enough room on the bottom for a good sized frying pan. The aluminum cook set has cups, plates and pots nested in it. Plus there's room for dish soap, towels, all purpose cleaner, spices and more around the larger objects. I have a lot of it in my Lance camper currently including the silverware tray and silverware.

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

Last edited:
More pics of my Trail Kitchen:

I came up with this plywood shelf because the Coleman sits too tight between the knobs on the top of the unit with out it. Also gives a spot for utensils while cooking.

IMG_1530.JPG

A review of this model on Youtube gave me the idea to add velcro strips to hold hanging shelves out of the way, as seen in previous pic.

IMG_1534.JPG

Adjustable legs on counter top extensions

IMG_1535.JPG

You can see the velcro strips added to hold up the hanging shelves if not needed

IMG_1536.JPG

Last edited:
That looks slick. The video shows those drop down shelves. Maybe they are an option. Did you make those stove legs to go on the bottom of the 413? Mine lays flat on the surface. I currently run a Hardigg medical chest for my chuck box. It is 32x21x12 or so but it holds my stove. I have looked at the leg attachments that can make it a table but I worry the stove will melt it if I go that route. Are those shelves adjustable inside? Not sure I could fit my frying pans and large sauce pan in there.

That looks slick. The video shows those drop down shelves. Maybe they are an option.
Thanks! No, those drop down shelves are standard, at least last year when I ordered mine. They flap in the wind, a little...lol. If you google reviews for Trail Kitchen, there's a guy that (also reviewed the Alu-Cab Shadow Awn) runs a Tacoma pickup with a rack, anyway he came up with the idea for the Velcro to hold up those shelves if you don't need them. I thought it was an awesome idea, and so easy to do.

Did you make those stove legs to go on the bottom of the 413? Mine lays flat on the surface.
No, those legs are part of the stove. They collapse into the stove, for transport.

I currently run a Hardigg medical chest for my chuck box. It is 32x21x12 or so but it holds my stove. I have looked at the leg attachments that can make it a table but I worry the stove will melt it if I go that route.
Cut yourself a piece of plywood, the same dimensions as the top of your chest, kinda like my plywood shelf. That should reasonably protect your chest.

Are those shelves adjustable inside? Not sure I could fit my frying pans and large sauce pan in there.
No, the one shelf is removable, but not adjustable. Nest your pans if you can, that should help give you more space.

Last edited:
I cheaped out and bought another box. I was given a 6' aluminum folding table this week. Got a 5 day boon docking trip next month. Will reassess after the trip.
IMG_3442.JPG

I cheaped out and bought another box. I was given a 6' aluminum folding table this week. Got a 5 day boon docking trip next month. Will reassess after the trip.View attachment 1625689
Where did you find it? I have two and people are always asking where to get them. I've had mine for years so don't know any current sources.

6CF0B672-D8FA-45AA-B78A-74A0F06631DF.jpeg

[disclaimer: my children are grown now, and I haven’t had to pack for a family since 2004]

I built version 1.0 for a Utah expedition in 2007. It was like so many things in my life, a temporary fix that I would get back to. It was really a ‘kill two birds’ fix for a very custom bed box that had no lid.

It ended up serving me so well that I never got around to making a real lid for the bedbox, and last summer just ended up building version 1.1 out of better materials.

Single burner Coleman with a 60 year old windscreen nested underneath , REI skillet with folding handle, stainless pot with nested bowl, 1pouch for utensils, 1 for the stove pipe and lighter, coffee, dry goods, propane and cup. KISS

I can do half of my food prep on the fold out door. The rest, as well as the cooking is done on an aluminum table that is not forced to be in close proximity to the rest of the kitchen. Those high falootin kitchens may look cool, but if you’re like me and like to cook bacon regularly, you understand the fallout zone outweighs the ‘cool’ factor. Sometimes I use a old-school metal milkcrate for my cook table.

Thanks to this forum, I will be testing out my first new addition to my time-tested setup soon: the magnetic paper towel holder. Report to follow.

Last edited:
Just ordered this .... table

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom