Shock replacement suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck has a 20 year old OME suspension on it with their original Nitrocharger shocks (dated Dec 98), pretty sure it's a 3" but who really knows? The rear shocks are leaking. Which means I get to go shopping. Help me spend my money. :D

The way I see it, I could take the easy route, call up Slee or someone, and get a new set of OMEs that are comparable/better than these tired originals, and done. Or I could take this as an opportunity to upgrade. I have no idea what the springs are, but they are in perfect shape and are definitely matched to the shocks, so no need to spend money there if I don't have to. I've seen Icon, Slee, and more, lots of choices out there. What would you recommend for a rig that goes wheeling/camping in the Appalachians, with some trips out west each year (Moab, Colorado, etc.)?

I have no problems with how it rides right now, actually goes down the road really well, and in the limited off-road stuff I've done, feels just fine. But it's going to start getting a real workout over these next few months, so I need to take care of this. It's a fairly standard overland build, ARB/Kaymar bumpers, RTT, and the usual stuff loaded in the back, so the weight is pretty predictable.

You should replace the coils and shocks at the same time. Replace them with 14” coilovers :grinpimp:

But really, I’d go Icon!

No one else, eh? That's one, plus I've got a good friend strongly recommending the Icon 2.0 shocks, which look like a reasonable $160-ish each.

14" coilover? Nah. 😁

You have no idea what the spring are, Yet you ask for recommendation on what shock to use. Shocks and Springs usually are paired together for best results. If you asked which suspension would be best for your intended use you probably get more feed back, Or if you new what spring you have ?

Last edited:
While I don't know for certain, I can be reasonably sure it's the full OME setup from 20 years ago, and given the build, they are the heavy springs. I'm going to try and verify that, but since the shocks absolutely need to be replaced, and this is a 2.5-3" lift, I'm looking for suggestions. I'm doing a bunch of maintenance work, so going all-out on a suspension isn't in the budget right now, but I do need to replace the shocks. I might just go with a new set of OMEs for now, but was wondering if anyone else had a good experience.

Here is the thread you're looking for :cheers:

If you're entertaining OME shocks, you should check out the yellow Dobinsons instead. Good reviews from those who've used them.

Actually here's the thread with more info you could ever ask for. Maybe you've been to this one already, it is in the sticky threads, apologies if so and if it's repeat info.

While I don't know for certain, I can be reasonably sure it's the full OME setup from 20 years ago, and given the build, they are the heavy springs. I'm going to try and verify that, but since the shocks absolutely need to be replaced, and this is a 2.5-3" lift, I'm looking for suggestions. I'm doing a bunch of maintenance work, so going all-out on a suspension isn't in the budget right now, but I do need to replace the shocks. I might just go with a new set of OMEs for now, but was wondering if anyone else had a good experience.
Knowing spring coil material thickness and number of turns in the formation of the spring and some photos would help us help you to identify what spring you have. CruiserOutfitters has a chart on their site that provides stats on all OME springs.

@bajaphile suggested Dobinson's inexpensive, yellow shocks. This seems like an appropriate route for a couple reasons. First, you suspect that your coils are old and, even though you won't be replacing them now, you definitely will at some point in the future and spending less now to patch up your aging suspension means losing less $$$ later when you upgrade to all new stuff. Secondly, the Dobinson yellow shocks are, or were last I knew, $125/ea and ride so much better than OME you will think you spent a lot more money than you did.

My truck has a 20 year old OME suspension on it with their original Nitrocharger shocks (dated Dec 98), pretty sure it's a 3" but who really knows? The rear shocks are leaking. Which means I get to go shopping. Help me spend my money. :D

The way I see it, I could take the easy route, call up Slee or someone, and get a new set of OMEs that are comparable/better than these tired originals, and done. Or I could take this as an opportunity to upgrade. I have no idea what the springs are, but they are in perfect shape and are definitely matched to the shocks, so no need to spend money there if I don't have to. I've seen Icon, Slee, and more, lots of choices out there. What would you recommend for a rig that goes wheeling/camping in the Appalachians, with some trips out west each year (Moab, Colorado, etc.)?

I have no problems with how it rides right now, actually goes down the road really well, and in the limited off-road stuff I've done, feels just fine. But it's going to start getting a real workout over these next few months, so I need to take care of this. It's a fairly standard overland build, ARB/Kaymar bumpers, RTT, and the usual stuff loaded in the back, so the weight is pretty predictable.
I’m in the same position, shocks gone, suspension seems good. But are you sure your suspension is 20yrs old—as opposed to just the shocks? Is there paperwork? Mine says 2011 install.

Last edited:
Here is the thread you're looking for :cheers:

That is a great thread, thank you! Didn't know about the Fox shocks, good to find out about them.

If you're entertaining OME shocks, you should check out the yellow Dobinsons instead. Good reviews from those who've used them.

A good friend ran Dobinsons on his 4Runner and they were really good. Adding those to the list for consideration, thanks!

Stage1 2.0 Slinky shocks. And maybe Slinky coils while you're at it ;)
Red-Line-Land-Cruisers-IMG_5440 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Yeah this is absolutely on my mind. For the price, the Icon 2.0 are relatively reasonable and I could always upgrade to the Slinky springs later, as long as I get the right shock. Since I'm also doing power steering and a full brake replacement, I've got to save a few pennies right now, but whatever I do needs to look towards the future too.

I’m in the same position, shocks gone, suspension seems good. But are you sure your suspension is 20yrs old—as opposed to just the shocks? Is there paperwork? Mine says 2011 install.

Absolutely. This truck was built pretty much when it was new, and nothing material has been done underneath since. Check out the pics below.

Knowing spring coil material thickness and number of turns in the formation of the spring and some photos would help us help you to identify what spring you have. CruiserOutfitters has a chart on their site that provides stats on all OME springs.

@bajaphile suggested Dobinson's inexpensive, yellow shocks. This seems like an appropriate route for a couple reasons. First, you suspect that your coils are old and, even though you won't be replacing them now, you definitely will at some point in the future and spending less now to patch up your aging suspension means losing less $$$ later when you upgrade to all new stuff. Secondly, the Dobinson yellow shocks are, or were last I knew, $125/ea and ride so much better than OME you will think you spent a lot more money than you did.

I should have included a couple photos in the first post. Since it's all still on the truck, I don't know the free height but I put a caliper on the springs and got 19mm on the rears with 7 turns, and 17.5mm in the front with 8 turns. Then I checked the OME spring spec I found on Slee's site, and it's a little tough to match them up, rates anywhere from 300-700lbs. I suspect I'm looking at something like the 2415/2722/2864 in the rear, all around 280-320lb rate, and maybe 2640 in the front, call it 700lb rate.

The weird thing is those rates are significantly heavier than Cruiser Outfitters "heavy" spec, and yet the truck rides pretty damn well. We did a cross country drive and were very comfortable. I have not really exercised it off road, but if it's overly stiff I would expect a rough ride on the road.

Rear

Front

Last edited:
When we speak of spring rate it’s per spring only and not a sum of the two at either axle. At 19MM thick, your fears are definitely a more heaven duty OME spring. And your fronts are most likely the 850J’s that would come close to matching the lift of the HD rears.

Personally, I prefer a stouter spring so what my rig is loaded it feels confident in all situations.

I do too, although my experience is in sports/racing cars and not offroaders. This truck is fairly heavily loaded as it is, and considering the bad shocks, still has a nice ride.

One question, you can see the bump stops I have in there. I have no idea if they are factory or aftermarket, but they look pretty large to me. If I chose to go with the Icons, they are available for either a 0-3" lift or a 4-6" lift. Looking to the future with upgraded springs, I'm thinking about going with the 4-6" option, but I'd be concerned about bottoming out those shocks. What do you think?

I also just did some measuring and my hub-to-flare is 22 in the front, 22.5 in the rear, so it looks like a 2.5" lift (maybe 3) that has sagged a bit over the years. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and just do the springs anyway.

The bump stops look stock to me, I cant see the frame mounted stops in your Pik, Bump stop extensions are available if needed.

OME has the BP-51 option now for the 80. That would be an upgrade in shock vs your current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom