Rear Ornament Removal/Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my rear ornament was coming off and it was cracked. I ordered a new one and set about cleaning up the area for the new one. I read through the posts on the subject and I also ordered the 3m adhesive remover solvent and I got an eraser wheel for my drill.

I have removed the vast majority of the adhesive but I am still left with this scaling that is left and on each side is this hard plasticy substance (about the size of a quarter on one side and a nickel on the other side) that neither the wheel or the solvent can knock down.

Am I to a point where I can clean up the area and put the new one on or do I need to knock it down to clean bare paint? If that is the case I might have to take it to a body shop to see if they have any magic or maybe a detailer can help.

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

I don't think you need to worry about taking it all the way down if you are replacing the trim panel. If you really want to get it off, more aggressive solvents might work. Acetone, MEK? You may also risk paint damage...

You could also use a 3M rubber eraser on a drlll to remove it from what I have read and seems to work well.

You’re doing it right, I used a little heat but stopped trying to get it all off once I felt like I was going to have to get really aggressive with the removal. One last wipe down with denatured alcohol and installed the new one.

I bought an eraser wheel off Amazon for $10. I think the 3m eraser wheel was closer to $40 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom