Ship or Drive Your New Cruiser - Just Drive Baby! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you’re trying to decide between shipping your recently purchased FJ62, or driving it cross country, I have one piece of advice: Drive! Be prepared, but Drive.

I have to share my FJ62 cross country experience with you all cause I’m so proud of the little dude. Found the car on Thursday, flew to Texas from California Friday night, bought the car Saturday morning, and arrived home Sunday night. If you’re counting that’s 1,700 miles in less than 2 days.

During the 1,700 miles my little FJ62 faced every condition imaginable from steep inclines and wind in the desert, to snow and ice on very steep inclines on the Grapevine in California. Other than the driving conditions, I had zero problems: not a drop of oil was spilled, and the temp never reached above the ¼ mark.

I'm so glad I decided to drive it home, and more glad that I bought a Land Cruiser.

Right after purchase. When they found out I was driving to California, the PO had all the fluids and belts checked, and put in a new battery.

The first of many gas stops.

My first scare. Check Engine Light. Fortunately, my brother, an FJ60 owner told me to tighten my gas cap. And it worked!

Can't see it but this was a pretty steep include with high winds in the desert. I was stepping on the gas and going 45-50 miles per hour.

Snow and Ice on the Grapevine. The icy decline was the scariest driving experience ever. Everyone was sliding.

The car is now safely home and scheduled for a visit to Valley Hybrids! Thanks for reading.

Nice looking truck man, and welcome to the madness! This forum has a wealth of knowledge, you came to the right place...

Solid. You have all the original chrome it looks like, as well as the factory roof rack! The PO hooked you up for that trip, hu? Gotta love cruiser owners. Welcome to Mud :flipoff2:

Great story! I did the same thing almost 2 years ago - Texas to Massachusetts and had a great experience buying from a great PO as well. Happy cruising!

Good looking truck, you could not be in better hands than Georg. Welcome to the addiction.

We did Atlanta to Seattle in week. Hit the Budweiser Brewery, BBQ in KS, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone. Definitely recommend the drive, just make sure the truck has been thoroughly inspected before hand (i didn't....my fault). But hey, e made it home safe! Memories with my son.

Great looking 62 and congrats on completing your trip.

Well done!
Also...change your temp sender in the thermostat housing. The temp should modulate in different conditions. As,e if you don’t see modulation in oil pressure. An oil pressure sending unit is cheap and 5 minutes to replace.
Best to get accurate readings in these old rigs.

Congrats again on your journey.

15E88970-4AC6-4593-ACA9-A0BEBF9FC260.jpeg

Great looking truck!
Congrats on your new purchase and it’s great that you drove her home!

Well done!
Also...change your temp sender in the thermostat housing. The temp should modulate in different conditions. As,e if you don’t see modulation in oil pressure. An oil pressure sending unit is cheap and 5 minutes to replace.
Best to get accurate readings in these old rigs.

Congrats again on your journey.

View attachment 1904278
Thanks for the tip. BTW, I love your build thread.

Looks like you landed a fine example of a vintage Landcruiser. Congrats and welcome to the addiction.
If you modify, save the original parts just in case.
Meanwhile....enjoy.

You are a lucky B**D. You got a great cruiser, apparently a rare OYOT FJ62 if your grille is to be believed, had a pleasurable uneventful drive home and you have Valley hybrids on your doorstep for help going forward.
You may be too lucky, you should probably sell it immediately before your normal 6x series ownership experience begins o_O

Nice looking truck. Just right with the color and chrome.

I like what you’re advertising with the title of this thread, but you drove 1700 miles across part of the country and you have 3 crummy on the road photos? I think you’d better drive back to Texas and try again.

I would drive my cruiser too if it looked like that. Sweet truck. Not sure how I missed it being for sale in Texas. Could have saved the miles had I bought it instead. :)

Great looking truck and story. For the record, there is no evap configuration that will set a check engine light on an FJ62, so your check engine light may have gone out about the same time you tightened the gas cap, but the two events were unrelated. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Enjoy the new ride, and the stupendous gas mileage you'll be getting in your truck! Part of the fun!

Beautiful truck, but I've got to ask about driving in traffic on ice... WHY????

About ten years ago I was in Vail Colorado when storm hit the west. I drove my 60, 700 miles, all the way home to Globe AZ, about 75 miles east of Phx. It snowed every mile of the way. Across I-70 through Grand Junction. Through Moab to the Navaho reservation. All the way to Show low in Az. where ths highway dept closed all the roads going south. I had to get a motel 80miles from home and wait til morning for the snowplows to clear the highway. The 60 never missed a beat. Traveled 55mph or better in 4WD high the whole way .
The worst was coming across the rez. There's no plows running on the reservation so the road was just a flatter spot on a flat terrain.
You could barely make out the depressions of the shoulders on each side. It was beautiful and nerve racking at the same time but the
truck tracked perfectly

About ten years ago I was in Vail Colorado when storm hit the west. I drove my 60, 700 miles, all the way home to Globe AZ, about 75 miles east of Phx. It snowed every mile of the way. Across I-70 through Grand Junction. Through Moab to the Navaho reservation. All the way to Show low in Az. where ths highway dept closed all the roads going south. I had to get a motel 80miles from home and wait til morning for the snowplows to clear the highway. The 60 never missed a beat. Traveled 55mph or better in 4WD high the whole way .
The worst was coming across the rez. There's no plows running on the reservation so the road was just a flatter spot on a flat terrain.
You could barely make out the depressions of the shoulders on each side. It was beautiful and nerve racking at the same time but the
truck tracked perfectly
Not to sidetrack too much but what is the recommended max speed in 4wd. Just after I bought mine last year I drove through snow storms in Colorado and Utah. Was reticent to put it in 4wd as I was still able to do around 55. Then I ended up sideways and almost in a ditch:bang: put it in 4 we but kept the speed down to around 45 until I could get off the highway. Not planning too many snow days in it but just curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom