truck vibrates at 35 mph in two wheel drive, but not in 4x4? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have been chasing a ghost in my truck. I am finishing the suspension rebuild, new rod ends, new fluids everywhere, new grease, new shocks, leaf springs, brakes, rotors, calibers, etc.
I have had it aligned and have new stock size tires on the stock rims.
I go out for a drive and at 35 mph the shaking begins and continues to max speed. It increase slightly with intensity at the high speeds, but not dramatically. When I go to brake I can feel it in the peddle. The are no noises during this just vibrations.
Then I stop and shift into 4x4 wheel drive and charge off down the road, no vibration!
My thoughts are to have the front shaft rebalanced as that is one of the only rotating items that I haven't touched.
All help is greatly appreciated.

If you have hubs, in 2wd there should not be any real DS movement. Is it a vibration or a shaking?? How bad?

Have the wheels rebalanced at a tire shop. Driving in 4WD with the hubs locked puts a s***-ton of torsional stress on the entire driveline. You can’t use its behavior as a diagnostic tool.

Last edited:
If you have hubs, in 2wd there should not be any real DS movement. Is it a vibration or a shaking?? How bad?
Vibrating not shaking. I can still read the instrument cluster. The brake peddle feels as if I have two warped rotors when applying brakes. All of this is gone when I shift into 4 wheel H.

JimC rebuild the dizzy and carb, had to source a head and had it rebuilt. The engine had 292k and now has stock compression

Inspected all the U-joints? Checked the front wheels for bearing play? Checked for a warped rotor or sticking caliper?

Man, I have been down the road of chasing vibrations . I would pull the rear drive shaft and drive in 4 wheel. That will isolate front from rear. If the ride smoothed out, Then look at u joints if not completed with your overhaul. From there I would check driveline angles and then shim. My shims needed to raise my pinion in order to smooth out my OME lift. Took a bit to get that all worked out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom