shakey sideview mirror FIX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see now. So the pin on the ball socket that rotates on the mirror part came out. Is the ball socket part pliable enough that you can squeeze one side and work the remaining part in.

I see now. So the pin on the ball socket that rotates on the mirror part came out. Is the ball socket part pliable enough that you can squeeze one side and work the remaining part in.

ding, ding, ding! winner winner, chicken dinner! I'm not sure how that socket popped out, but without the glass in there, is sits without any problems. Like I said the pin is to short, but it may be because I used a '94 (I think) mirror on a '97. Not sure if the motors are exactly the same thickness (thought they would be). Once I figure out how everthing goes together, I will post pics and more info how this is fixed. I just bought another mirror (sorry CDan, I found one cheaper, of course of lesser qaulity). See how is goes.

Rudy

:censor: So when seperating the mirror from control panel with the motors in it; the ball joints didn't come loose (re-reading this I realise how it is works along with doing it). The other side of the ball joint attached to the gear came out through the boot. More :censor:, un-did the 4 screws and assembled the inside out with boots in place. Errg. Pics to come, but side note on this wonderful fix, becareful seperating them.

Funny, I was outside fixing mine and came back in and saw this.

My fix was some sticky-back Velcro on what was left of the mounting "ear", with the other piece on the back around the little tab that the mirror mount is supposed to hang on.

Worked like a charm, and should hold up for a long time.

Funny, I was outside fixing mine and came back in and saw this.

My fix was some sticky-back Velcro on what was left of the mounting "ear", with the other piece on the back around the little tab that the mirror mount is supposed to hang on.

Worked like a charm, and should hold up for a long time.

LOL, live and learn :). We'll see how this goes back together. I have some pretty damn strong indust. velcro sitting around. Might be a good option. I have a road trip coming up and am trying to fix all these little things.

More Pics

Just thought I would update this thread with some more pics. Here is the internals of the housing.
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG

Eureka! Mine started shaking 2 weeks ago to my annoyment. This thread is timely and I see I have some repairs in my weekend plans.

THanks!!

I rebuilt the tabs on both my mirrors using an epoxy putty call AquaMend. I found it in the "glue" section at Lowes. The putty is very easy to mold and with a few tools was able to recreate the tab. I used a combination of the methods in this thread and my repairs turned out great. Did this a month ago and have not recurrence of the shakes !

Thanks to eveyone,

GB

I fixed one of mine and both on my buddies. Good thread.

I did this fix and it worked out great. Going down the highway or the trail, that mirror jiggle drove me friggin nuts.
Thanks
:cheers:

:censor: So when seperating the mirror from control panel with the motors in it; the ball joints didn't come loose (re-reading this I realise how it is works along with doing it). The other side of the ball joint attached to the gear came out through the boot. More :censor:, un-did the 4 screws and assembled the inside out with boots in place. Errg. Pics to come, but side note on this wonderful fix, becareful seperating them.

FYI, I dod this as well. No reason to separate the case if this happens, you can push the "nuts" back onto the studs and reseat the protective boot with a small flathead or knife. Hopefully, this saves someone the trouble of opening the case.

Hmmm, guess I shoulda looked here first...I just did mine last night. I used JB Weld and a hunk of plastic that I cut to size with my air grinder and a cut off wheel, I guess I coulda used just the JB Weld.:bang: I then cut little notches into both sides so so the JB Weld would have something to "grab ahold of". I let it dry overnight, the plan is to cut the holes tonight and reassemble. I'll post pics in the next couple of days...

OK, I never had the shaky mirror problem, but I did yank out the glass today to paint the mirror and now I'm having trouble putting it back together :doh:

Do I just force the mirror back on and snap it in place?

The spring loaded ball pivot thing is being a pita :bang:

If I remove the pin, I can snap the ball pivot in place (like you have pictured above), but then I wouldn't be able to put the pin back in cause the front cover has to be screwed in before the glass is installed :confused:

What am I missing here?

You can get a lens online for about $15. The one I got from Rock Auto, is just a little smaller than OEM, it works ok with mirror mastic to hold it, but the lip does only hold it on 3 sides, if OEM were close in price, I would go with that instead.

Kudos for this fix...

Did this fix yesterday and it is awesome. What a great fix for $5 of JB Weld and about 30 minutes of my time! Great write-up

Excellent write up and nice work. Seems that broken tabs are common. My drivers side mirror had the top outside tab broken causing the mirror to vibrate. My lazy fix involved undoing the moving assembly by removing the bottom upwards-facing screw then daubing both upper brackets with Devcon 5-minute epoxy, then placing it back in position and holding it firm for 5 minutes. That was 2 months ago and so far so good. Rock solid.

Just thought I would update this thread with some more pics. Here is the internals of the housing.

never thought about it before. those motors look alot like the power door lock motors that need replacing.

Excellent write up and nice work. Seems that broken tabs are common. My drivers side mirror had the top outside tab broken causing the mirror to vibrate. My lazy fix involved undoing the moving assembly by removing the bottom upwards-facing screw then daubing both upper brackets with Devcon 5-minute epoxy, then placing it back in position and holding it firm for 5 minutes. That was 2 months ago and so far so good. Rock solid.

My fix was similiar, but I used Gel Superglue. 6 months later it is still holding well.

I just fixed my mirror yesterday and pretty much you can use any of those epoxy hardening agents.

I used a $4 one from Walmart called Quicksteel (works on plastic, metal and a bunch of others)that is a putty that fully hardens in a hour. I had to redo it once because the holes I drilled were too high and big the first time and the make shift bracket broke off but then I did it more carefully the 2nd time and works great no more shaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom