shakey sideview mirror FIX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is over engineered ! Top of my post wasn't completely broken so I just used some fender washers with a slot ground in them for the wires to pass through. A 5/16" x 3 1/2" bolt up through the post and a nut at the top. Compressed the spring, works better than stock, took about 20 minutes. Thanks to whoever originally took the time to post this and the pictures, it was very appreciated.

Long live this thread

Wow, this started 6 years ago and is still kicking. I wonder if that JB weld is still adhering to the plastic:steer:

Mkreitz, you couldve called me, I have a new mirror on the shelf in the garage.

It wouldve been cheap ;)

But then again, you need something to keep you busy on the weekends :D

I'm glad I could help everyone.

I recently picked up a welding book from Lowes to enhance my discipline of this art. In the book they mentioned about the forms of welding which included JB Welding as the last welding form.
I've since sold the 80 but the mirror is still in place.

Cheers.

I pulled my mirror, saw that both tabs were in good shape and reset all the screws. I'm still getting a mild vibration at freeway speeds on less than stellar surfaces. Any ideas?

In the process of this repair but...:mad::bang: I do not believe I seperated the halves on the PS correctly. The 'folcrums' stayed with the mirror and one boot tore. I'm hoping they'll just "go" back together.
Is there more detail to the explanation to separate the two halves after the pin is removed? I guess I missed or am missing something there.
I need to seperate the DS now and am leary to without some further guidence.
Thanks,
:cool:

It worked

I read an article in 4wd Toyota owner and all they did was buy a new mirror and show us how to install. This was a way better option. Thanks for the help

thanks for starting this thread. I had a broken mirror, rather a stripped driver's side stem that holds the u washer and spring etc. Fixed it like others here with a 3 1/2 long, 3/8" I wanna say bolt and fender washers... works good. Had to drill a hole to rerun the wires through from the bottom.

10x5/8 screw from a hardware store will work if you loose one (i did bought one than found the one i lost.)

I did not get the wires in their respective order, so off to fix this now and get it over with.

I fiddled around and found you could pull the motor away from the mirror as far as it would go and just get your fingers in to grasp the shaft right below the 'fulcrum' head and pop it out. I pre lubed the head to help it come out easier.
On the PS, having pulled it apart incorrectly, I was able to remove the 'fulcrums' and reassemble to satisfaction and repaired the torn boot with weatherstrip cement.:rolleyes:
Onward,
:cool:

I had this issue, but hadn't had time til this weekend to work on it.

After removing the mirror, I didn't break it down into the two seperate parts, just left it as one. Since the top and side of the mount were missing, I drilled two holes in the plastic and then used 24 ga wire to insert into each hole and twisted it tight.

Once I got the wire in place, I measured and made sure that the wire "rebar" was gonna be centered in my JB Weld mix. I used blue painters tape to tape everything off, then applied the JB Weld overnight.

The fix worked beautifully. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas!

A pic to see how I mounted the wire:

b54dd9ed.jpg

One more vote for the industrial velcro method, took about 20 minutes.
Been holding up for over a year now. If it fails, it shouldn't be a problem to use one of the more involved methods.

OK i was attempting this fix and pulled off the other mirror to see what it was supposed to look like and now I cant get the mirror back on properly, i even broke the actual mirror trying to reattach.

The two "pivot points" (that extend and retract to adjust the mirror) came off with the mirror so I left them on there. I can get these pivot points back in when trying to install the mirror but the mirror just sags.

It seems that the raised middle circle on the back of the actual mirror doesn't slip back around the white center (that's still on the car) and the two arms on do not come close to going around those bars on the back of the mirror. While trying to get the "raised middle circle" and "arms" and "bars" to mate is how i broke the mirror glass. Any good place to get the new mirror glass?

pics attached, please advise.
MirrorBack.JPG
Arms.JPG
MirrorOn.JPG

OK i was attempting this fix and pulled off the other mirror to see what it was supposed to look like and now I cant get the mirror back on properly, i even broke the actual mirror trying to reattach.

The two "pivot points" (that extend and retract to adjust the mirror) came off with the mirror so I left them on there. I can get these pivot points back in when trying to install the mirror but the mirror just sags.

It seems that the raised middle circle on the back of the actual mirror doesn't slip back around the white center (that's still on the car) and the two arms on do not come close to going around those bars on the back of the mirror. While trying to get the "raised middle circle" and "arms" and "bars" to mate is how i broke the mirror glass. Any good place to get the new mirror glass?

pics attached, please advise.

please disregard my question, besides where to get new mirror glass. I am an idiot.

please disregard my question, besides where to get new mirror glass. I am an idiot.

You figured it out but I am still an idiot. How do you get the white piece back into the mirror glass? I did the same thing, do I now need a new glass? Any help will be humbly appreciated.

yes that white piece was supposed to stay behind the mirror, the only way i could figure to get it back in was to break the mirror and put it in from behind where the mirror was

:doh:

Anybody know if the ebay replacement mirror assemblies have the same mechanism inside? I'd like to keep the housing and just replace the guts, so I don't risk messing up the panel on the inside of the door.

Mkreitz, you couldve called me, I have a new mirror on the shelf in the garage.

It wouldve been cheap ;)

But then again, you need something to keep you busy on the weekends :D

murf - Just got my first FZJ80 (only wanted one for 17 years!), and it came with a shoddy 3" velcro job holding the driver mirror in place. I'm not up for teaching myself how to JB Weld just yet - any chance you still have that mirror sitting on the shelf? I'm interested, if you do! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom