Severity of Rear Axle Seal Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there! I was quoted $800+ by a shop to fix this rear axle seal leak, I’m new to cruisers and bought my LX 3 months ago and am baselining all maintaince items slowly so I apologize for any ignorance. Is the condition of this severe and urgently needing replacement? Let me know if more pictures or information is needed. Thanks y’all!

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2448.jpeg

Hi there! I was quoted $800+ by a shop to fix this rear axle seal leak, I’m new to cruisers and bought my LX 3 months ago and am baselining all maintaince items slowly so I apologize for any ignorance. Is the condition of this severe and urgently needing replacement? Let me know if more pictures or information is needed. Thanks y’all!

View attachment 3486726

View attachment 3486727
what year land cruiser do you have?

1999 Lexus LX470
take the wheel off, and see if the inside of the dust shield has greasy build up in it (you might be able to do this with the wheel on, depending on the rims)
just swab the other side of the dust shield with a q-tip.

If you get back a heavy amount of grease, you should tend to it quite soon, you should be able to do it yourself easy enough.

If its relatively clean, maybe plan on addressing it before next summer?

I responded to your post in the other thread, but I will say it again here. $800 is a fair price for the work involved. A grimy and weepy seal is not necessarily an emergency, but it will get worse in time. When you start to see actual drips, replace the seal. The parking brake shoes and drum will be affected before the actual disc and caliper. If you want to know exactly how bad it is, you'll have to pull your brake caliper and pull the rear disc/drum and look inside. If the drum has gear oil in it, your parking brake is already compromised. This is not like the set-up in an 80 series. This is not a full float axle. It's more complicated to deal with that seal. That being said, fixing it yourself is not outside the realm of possibility, assuming you have a press and the skills to fab up a specific press tool to press off and back on the bearing, tone ring and sealing ring. I already posted a video in the other thread that shows how it is done.

I responded to your post in the other thread, but I will say it again here. $800 is a fair price for the work involved. A grimy and weepy seal is not necessarily an emergency, but it will get worse in time. When you start to see actual drips, replace the seal. The parking brake shoes and drum will be affected before the actual disc and caliper. If you want to know exactly how bad it is, you'll have to pull your brake caliper and pull the rear disc/drum and look inside. If the drum has gear oil in it, your parking brake is already compromised. This is not like the set-up in an 80 series. This is not a full float axle. It's more complicated to deal with that seal. That being said, fixing it yourself is not outside the realm of possibility, assuming you have a press and the skills to fab up a specific press tool to press off and back on the bearing, tone ring and sealing ring. I already posted a video in the other thread that shows how it is done.
You’re the best, just responded to your other reply but thanks again for giving me some clarity on this! I think I’m okay to drive it in its current condition now but will definitely budget for the repair soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom