Replacement 80 series sunroof seals (1 Viewer)

Would you be willing to pay $75 for a new sunroof seal, even if it wasn't the same OEM seal?

• Yes

Votes: 31 100.0%
  • No, I'm ditching the sunroof, I hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm even glad to pay in advance. I've done the inner tube trick -- helps, but not satisfactory. Thanks for this effort.

UPDATE:

Two new (OEM) sunroofs arrived yesterday afternoon (thanks Dave). 63201-60024 is the new assembly (glass and seal) part number.

My goal, weather permitting, is to remove my old (OEM) sunroof and install the new replacement OEM sunroof this weekend. I'll post photos of the 1995 and 2013 seals side by side, so everyone can see the difference. FWIW, the new ones are not the same design.

More to follow.

Also, for the good of the group here, the yen is ridiculously low against the dollar at present. Japan4x4 is the place to spend your Christmas money on your Land Cruiser.

I recently decided to put my background in design, manufacturing and global sourcing to use for myself, and potentially everyone else, to solve the sunroof seal problem on my 80s.

As everyone with an 80 knows, you can't get the replacement sunroof glass assembly anymore, and Toyota, in their infinite wisdom (and hubris, IMHO) decided not to provide the seal as a replacement part. And retail for the glass, when it was available, was north of $700.

And, as everyone with an 80 also knows, the seals are in need of replacement. Either your sunroof leaks, or weeps, now, or it will very soon. A few have even removed the glass and welded the sunroof closed, for lack of a better solution.

To add insult to injury, Toyota, realizing their mistake, decide to provide a replaceable seal for the 100 series. For $50 retail.

I've recently started discussions with suppliers to provide a replacement seal for the sunroof glass; not the sunroof assembly Toyota used to sell, but the seal they should have sold for the sunroof glass.

The replacement seal may, or may not, be the same design Toyota provided. The OEM seal isn't a simple rubber extrusion, like the door and window seals, but a multiple piece assembly, similar to the windshield gasket, except the sunroof seal isn't made of several prices of rubber, as the windshield seal is. The sealing face has a felt wiper on it, although yours may not have survived the ravages of time, it was there originally.

I thought I'd start locally, just to gauge interest for the suppliers I'm discussing this with. I don't want to post this globally yet, because the discussion isn't ready for prime time, but I do want to give the suppliers a taste of market viability. If there's sufficient interest in just NC, it'll give them an indication of whether it's worth their time or not.
Any update on this project?

UPDATE:

Two new (OEM) sunroofs arrived yesterday afternoon (thanks Dave). 63201-60024 is the new assembly (glass and seal) part number.

My goal, weather permitting, is to remove my old (OEM) sunroof and install the new replacement OEM sunroof this weekend. I'll post photos of the 1995 and 2013 seals side by side, so everyone can see the difference. FWIW, the new ones are not the same design.

More to follow.

Also, for the good of the group here, the yen is ridiculously low against the dollar at present. Japan4x4 is the place to spend your Christmas money on your Land Cruiser.

We have installed it in a 95, it’s no problem. Got two more to install, one in a customers build a 97 and another for mine, a 95.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom