Selectable Locker in Front: ARB or 80 Series? (1 Viewer)

Front Selectable Locker: ARB or 80 Series E-Locker?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey All,

I am (slowly) building a front end for my '74 55.

I have a front end off a '76 55 equipped w/ an ARB.

I plan on building it with 60 knuckles, brakes, hubs, etc.

The other day I got asked if I would want to trade the ARB for an 80 series e-locker with the 70 series longer axle.

What would you all do?

I wonder about getting all the parts to go together: 80, 70, 60, 55 series. (Kinda reminds me of the Johny Cash song).

What do you all think is more reliable: ARB or 80 e-lock?

I am guessing the 80 series flange will not match the 55 DS, so you have to set pinion pre-load when you switch flanges...

Does anyone have any great write-ups of putting the 80 locker into a 40/55 housing w/ 60 knuckles?

You own the ARB, and it is already in the housing, and you are thinking about getting rid of it, to create more work for yourself why again?

For novelty sake, or?

Keep the ARB man...

:beer:

Hi All:

I know guys with both front diff set-ups.

Each have their own potential hassles.

I'm with Steve - why **** with it when you already have a selectable (i.e. ARB) locker already loaded in a third member? As long as that Air Locker has been installed correctly and the seals are in good shape it should serve you well.

Using an air Locker actually retains many more stock parts on a US-market 40/45/60/62 Series than swapping in an electric 'locker from another, late model Toyota vehicle.

Regards,

Alan

I have an ARB in my 40, and factory e-locks in my 80.

There is NO WAY i would ever trade an ARB for the 80 series locker. The ARB engages much faster, has fewer moving parts, and is easier to get parts for. Not to mention less expensive to fix.

The 80 series lockers also have a problem where if you twist off an inner axle shaft it is nearly impossible to get the remnant of the axle shaft inside the carrier out.

You own the ARB, and it is already in the housing, and you are thinking about getting rid of it, to create more work for yourself why again?

For novelty sake, or?

Did you miss this? ;)

You would be crazy to swap an ARB for any Toyota e-locker. Especially the 80 series rear. See what Christo Slee has to say about twisted splines, and major surgery to retrieve the 3rd member. The ARB is also much stronger. Keep what you have, your bud is trying to rip you off.

Not much to add after post #2. You know how we hate to repeat ourselves.

arb

you got.....

well its all been said, nothing to add

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom