Seized 3B (help!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, what do I know... did you supply the gasket? seems like the mechanic should know the gasket is wrong?
Ok, fair enough - I might have to start doing this work myself

I PM’d you in commiseration.

What’s a parent bore gasket? You were absolutely right that the liner failed.
Late model 3Bs don't have cylinder liners, they're just bored right in the block (parent bore). These late model head gaskets don't have clearance for the raised part of the liner and when used on an early engine will cause the liner to fail. Do you have the part number from the head gasket?

I'm not saying that was the cause of the failure but it's something I've seen before.

Sadly everything is expensive in the us and many Americans such as retirees are leaving to South American or Europe.
That is no excuse to take an engine that costs 10,000 and charge 30,000 to bolt it in.

That is no excuse to take an engine that costs 10,000 and charge 30,000 to bolt it in.
Nothing just "bolts" in. Engine conversions are expensive because they are time consuming. Quality work is in high demand and hard to find so, supply and demand becomes a factor.

Nothing just "bolts" in. Engine conversions are expensive because they are time consuming. Quality work is in high demand and hard to find so, supply and demand becomes a factor.
This is obvious, true, and still never worth 30 grand.

Convert the engine yourself. It’s not as hard as you think. You don’t need any experience.

friends and colleagues,

I finally got my turbo installed on my 78 BJ40 3B (from a 1981 BJ60) and had it running well when my engine seized during shut down a couple days ago. We’re going to pull the oil pan soon to discern whether there may be a simple fix, but if there isn’t, I am very interested in hearing about vendors who would either rebuild my 3B or be very skilled and undertaking a diesel swap for something more up-to-date.

View attachment 3409928
Just finishing up a H Turbo swap into an older BJ40 (original B motor that was leaking oil literally everywhere). Can do 3B, H, 2H, 1HZ, and 1HD swaps....with or without turbos....I would recommend turbos......

Is that 1HDT still for sale in Texas? I'm in the middle of refubishing my 3B, and I think about that every day. Depending on the damage, I wouldn't spend more than maybe $2k on a rebuild. I'm lucky I have spares, so I've only spent a few hundred bucks so far. I'm not doing any machining. Swapping the head, camshaft, and crankshaft from one of the spares that I believe was rebuilt. I ported the head a bit, stoned it off, and lapped the valves. I've bought a head gasket, bearings, and one push rod. Beno, are you sure you're not just bitter after your bad experience? I hope to get several more years out of my turbo 3B....unless I break down and buy a six cylinder.

Is that 1HDT still for sale in Texas? I'm in the middle of refubishing my 3B, and I think about that every day. Depending on the damage, I wouldn't spend more than maybe $2k on a rebuild. I'm lucky I have spares, so I've only spent a few hundred bucks so far. I'm not doing any machining. Swapping the head, camshaft, and crankshaft from one of the spares that I believe was rebuilt. I ported the head a bit, stoned it off, and lapped the valves. I've bought a head gasket, bearings, and one push rod. Beno, are you sure you're not just bitter after your bad experience? I hope to get several more years out of my turbo 3B....unless I break down and buy a six cylinder.
The 3b has its place. They are pretty bulletproof until you ask too much of them or what they were never designed for. It is not an "American highway engine" unless you have a ton of patience and can tolerate cruising at 55 all day. For a cruiser that lives a rural life or a trail rig, it is a spectacular engine. Unfortunately, almost no amount of modification will make it perform like a modern engine. More power can be had but at the cost of reliability. On that note, they will only make so much more power before they can't stay cool enough to make that power for long drives.

Why do you think the HP is so limit and limits the truck to 60 mph? How does the lighter 70 series do with the engine vs the bj60?
I'm not sure I understand your HP question. Why do I think it is limited to an "x" HP and limits the truck to lower speeds? The 3b just won't make a ton of power for a PROLONGED period of time without killing itself. Sure, enough fuel, boost and intercooling you can pull decent passes on quick jaunts but maintaining those higher speeds for hours on end you find the limits of cooling and power. Longer gears lower rpm but require more power. Shorter gears you run a higher rpm and are limited by speed. On you latter statement.....I think it would be better to rephrase perhaps a lighter vehicle? Since some 70 series (such as a 76) are lighter or perhaps on par with 60 series. I'd say the lighter the vehicle the better however, I don't think you could get a cruiser "light" enough for that 3b to ever feel adequate for modern interstate use.

The 3b has its place. They are pretty bulletproof until you ask too much of them or what they were never designed for. It is not an "American highway engine" unless you have a ton of patience and can tolerate cruising at 55 all day. For a cruiser that lives a rural life or a trail rig, it is a spectacular engine. Unfortunately, almost no amount of modification will make it perform like a modern engine. More power can be had but at the cost of reliability. On that note, they will only make so much more power before they can't stay cool enough to make that power for long drives.
I run 65-70 on the freeway with my turbo 3b and 5 speed.

Yes, the 3B is Slow on the road.

But damn, that motor kicks ass off-road - the advantage to the 3B is all the weight is behind the front axle, not to mention the motor has tonnes of low end torque allows the driver to do really technical stuff without stressing the motor/clutch. When I’m off-road I feel GREAT with my 3B - rock solid and reliable, no BS with that motor (unless you have a turbo)

3B is not great on road, but I’ll say it again, kicks ass off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom