Seized 3B (help!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

friends and colleagues,

I finally got my turbo installed on my 78 BJ40 3B (from a 1981 BJ60) and had it running well when my engine seized during shut down a couple days ago. We’re going to pull the oil pan soon to discern whether there may be a simple fix, but if there isn’t, I am very interested in hearing about vendors who would either rebuild my 3B or be very skilled and undertaking a diesel swap for something more up-to-date.

View attachment 3409928
open that baby up and lets see the head and bores.....

My mechanic is good, but slow… the tear down may take a minute.
15bt is a viable option to swap in with minimal bs
do any of you know someone who has extensive experience and expertise who could drop in a 15 BT for me?

My mechanic is good, but slow… the tear down may take a minute.

do any of you know someone who has extensive experience and expertise who could drop in a 15 BT for me?
Proffitt is quoting 40k to put in a Cummins R2.8

I have an after market temp sensor that was also reading nominal, but I heard a very slight sound of boiling coolant when the engine fell silent. As such, I felt that coolant hoses, which felt nearly empty. My fear is that the temp sensor wasn’t working because it was dry.

After it cooled down, did you check your coolant level? Anything there? Is it possible your mechanic forgot to put coolant in after all the work done? If so, I'd have a straight up talk with him about that; as the failure would be his fault. Driving a while with no coolant is enough to seize an engine.

After it cooled down, did you check your coolant level? Anything there? Is it possible your mechanic forgot to put coolant in after all the work done? If so, I'd have a straight up talk with him about that; as the failure would be his fault. Driving a while with no coolant is enough to seize an engine.

I feel like the failure is his fault. He took the head off.

I have seen these 3Bs run upside down & backwards, weird it would just “Seize” for no reason after a bunch of mechanical work.

Maybe he knows.

Who would be the right person / shop to undertake this ?
you, or someone you know personally that can do the job right
i trust very few mechanics.... even if you've never done something like that you'd probably do a better job than 80% of people you might take it too, and a lot cheaper. Too much 'little things' often get missed and could be large problems later on.
But of course time, tools and space often dictate these things, especially with a family

The head had received no treatment whatsoever - the head gasket had been installed incorrectly by whoever worked on it previously.
Did it have a parent bore type headgasket installed on a liner block? This can cause liner failure.

Did it have a parent bore type headgasket installed on a liner block? This can cause liner failure.
What’s a parent bore gasket? You were absolutely right that the liner failed.

IMG_7429.png

I feel like the failure is his fault. He took the head off.

I have seen these 3Bs run upside down & backwards, weird it would just “Seize” for no reason after a bunch of mechanical work.

Maybe he knows.
The coolant was low by a quart

that Pisses me off that we lost a 3B to that kind of failure. Mechanics failure.

How did he fail? I supplied the gasket.

Oh, what do I know... did you supply the gasket? seems like the mechanic should know the gasket is wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom