SD-40 Possible Production pt.2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys. I started a thread on the SD40 carb production a while back on the FJ40 forum.

I figured that I would give you guys an update and move the thread over to this group.

So far I have contacted 2 different borosilicate glass manufacturers. (same stuff as pyrex) Both have no quoted the part. Due to the expense of mold manufacturing and a low production run. (I am saying 75-100).

I have also contacted a few local glass blowers/workers and neither wanted to try to make the glass window or they didn't have time.

I then contacted a three acrylic/polymer molding companies but none have come back with a product that could retain optical clarity with constant contact with gasoline. I have a few samples from these companies that I am currently testing to see if they will work.

The next process that I would like to try, is contacting a glass milling/machining company. For this, I really need a fully dimensioned 3D drawing. I have the ability to create this part using Solidworks, I just need either someone that could give me dimensions (including radius dimensions). If someone would also let me measure theirs, it would be even better.
upload_2018-4-10_8-42-48.png

I live in Greenville, SC. Home of Upstate cruisers. I don't know if there is anyone local that I could meet or if someone is brave enough to let a stranger borrow theirs for a few days (I will pay shipping and insurance)

I am not looking to make any money off these. Just to cover the cost of manufacturing and hopefully help some other mudders in need.

Hey guys. I started a thread on the SD40 carb production a while back on the FJ40 forum.

I figured that I would give you guys an update and move the thread over to this group.

So far I have contacted 2 different borosilicate glass manufacturers. (same stuff as pyrex) Both have no quoted the part. Due to the expense of mold manufacturing and a low production run. (I am saying 75-100).

I have also contacted a few local glass blowers/workers and neither wanted to try to make the glass window or they didn't have time.

I then contacted a three acrylic/polymer molding companies but none have come back with a product that could retain optical clarity with constant contact with gasoline. I have a few samples from these companies that I am currently testing to see if they will work.

The next process that I would like to try, is contacting a glass milling/machining company. For this, I really need a fully dimensioned 3D drawing. I have the ability to create this part using Solidworks, I just need either someone that could give me dimensions (including radius dimensions). If someone would also let me measure theirs, it would be even better.
View attachment 1674163

I live in Greenville, SC. Home of Upstate cruisers. I don't know if there is anyone local that I could meet or if someone is brave enough to let a stranger borrow theirs for a few days (I will pay shipping and insurance)

I am not looking to make any money off these. Just to cover the cost of manufacturing and hopefully help some other mudders in need.
Get on from Marshall, Trollhole cruisers in simpsonville. If not I can bring 1 up in a couple weeks to the relic run.
Thanks, Mike

good on you for doing this. I will definitely buy one (or 2 if possible) How do i put my name down for one. Thanks

If anyone would like one. Go ahead and use this thread to mark yourself down.

I can’t promise it will happen anytime soon. I’ve been fiddling with this project for a few months off and on now. Once I get the dimensions, I plan on sending out Dxf drawings and cad models to a number of places. If anyone knows any glass manufacturer, please let me know. Otherwise the google machine will be my guide.

I’ll definately hit up Marshall to see if he has one I could measure. Otherwise I’ll let you know @mmcinnis thanks.

Me for one.

Excellent question. Once I get the glass sorted out, the tin should be fairly easy. I have a press and access to a laser cutter. I figured I would machine a tool and die to get the bends, then use the press to form it. I also have access to a laser engraver to put the aisan and logo on the fuel tin. If anyone has access to Photoshop or has the ability to take a high res photo of the tin, I could then convert it to a laser format file. I would also potentially need to borrow / measure under supervision, the tin for correct dimensions. I have not looked too far into the process yet. Focusing on one thing at a time. but I see it in the future.

Excellent question. Once I get the glass sorted out, the tin should be fairly easy. I have a press and access to a laser cutter. I figured I would machine a tool and die to get the bends, then use the press to form it. I also have access to a laser engraver to put the aisan and logo on the fuel tin. If anyone has access to Photoshop or has the ability to take a high res photo of the tin, I could then convert it to a laser format file. I would also potentially need to borrow / measure under supervision, the tin for correct dimensions. I have not looked too far into the process yet. Focusing on one thing at a time. but I see it in the future.

I sent mine to a member in OR? a few years ago as he was looking into having it reproduced. he didn't have any luck.
hopefully you have different resources, I could lend it out when the time comes.

Paul

UPDATE:

So I have received a lot of no quotes and one estimate. The one estimate was from Chromaglass.

Companies I have tried so far (that have gotten back to me)
JSG Oceana
Rayotek
PolyTek
Smooth On
Reynolds Advanced Materials
R & R glass cast
Swift Glass
S & S Optical
Zygo Corp

The price per glass is fairly cheap at $25 a glass. Unfortunately, the mold tooling cost is where the cost goes up significantly. The mold tooling cost is estimated to be $3900. ouch. So if I was to offset the mold tooling cost with a total of 20 sight glasses. The individual sight glass cost would be around $220 a piece. If I was able to secure 50 orders then the individual cost would decrease to a more reasonable $103.

Before I make any moves. I wanted to get your thoughts.

If you know of any other companies, I can email you the DWG file and we can go from there.

What would the mold and tooling be made of in the quote you received? Did they provide any details?

I looked into 3d printing but there is not a suitable plastic that would withstand constant contact with gasoline. The glass would also need to be remelted in a mold to hold its shape and turn into a single clear pane. No real benefit from that.

The mold is made out of ductile cast iron. Grade 64-45-12. It can be purchased in bar stock from McMaster Carr. I am looking into other options for companies to machine the mold for much cheaper. I have mold drawings created.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom