school me on sushi/sashimi (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am a newb to this so I am not trying to be a smart a$$. What should I be trying? What does a connoisseur order?

A connoisseur would order Omakase (chef's special) style from a Japanese owned sushi bar. It's basically the freshest and best quality for the day. The chef keeps putting food in front of you until you say stop. Watch what you eat though because it can get real expensive fast.

My favorites

Okini
Tuna, unagi, cuke, avocado; topped with tobiko, scallions, tenp flakes; with Hawaiian sauce.

Hot Texas
Soft-shell crab tenp, spicy mayo, tobiko; topped with tuna, salmon, y-tail, avocado

there are normally "normal" rolls..often more along traditional lines.
i like the spiceys, tuna, salmon, and so on. then there are house rolls, or special rolls. they are worth the extra they cost. look for deep fryed rolls...often called a tnt roll....its not cooked just has a crispy shell around it..tasty.
also a fan of those rolls that have creme cheese in them...around here they are called philly rolls, often has salmon and some green vegy stuff in them. most places will give you the option to add roe...i do so.....some even have roe sushi...not too bad either.
i just found mackerel(saba) and can no longer live with it...oily and all. when it comes to rolls, it's all about finding what you like...enjoy....shop around till you find a place you like....we have three really decent places and a few ok joints.... for those quick fixs.
i'm trying to find a place that has fatty tuna...but i might need to drive to one fo the big cities to find that.

tonight's dinner...well part of it anyway...live uni :) from a favorite little spot in Carmel. Although not "campfire cuisine" tonight...I have had fresh live uni while camped near Fort Bragg in years past.

uni1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on an Uni kick :) While looking around at the end of Wharf #2 in Monterey for squid/calamari steaks to cook tonight I, at the abalone farm, saw they had fresh live sea urchin from Santa Barbara; the sweetest! So, given I couldn't find fresh squid steaks I didn't languish on the idea of having fresh uni for lunch today ;). And only $7.50!

Might need to upgrade from my 50L Waeco to a new ARB 63...to haul live uni to the desert for our fall tour :D

Oh boy!
Uni lunch 1.jpg
Uni lunch 2.jpg
Uni lunch 3.jpg
Uni lunch 4.jpg

Last edited:
^hmmm...coast to coast = how many hours in the air? Long weekend ahead...come on out!

fawk it then...I'll just eat for you :D

Haha, uni is definitely an acquired taste. First timers should try it fresh out of the 'shell' because it doesn't get much better than that.

Below... typical sashimi platter you'd find in Tokyo with grate-it-yourself wasabi. Toro, in the middle, my favorite...

IMG_5666.jpg

Man, I pretty much love all sushi, but I just can't do uni. It's a look and texture thing I guess. Maybe I've just never had it prepared correctly.

Very nice hoser! Yes, like most things in life once you experience the real deal...the "real deal" you formerly worshipped gets kicked in the butt: All things sea urchin included.

And for this non-diver boy Santa Barbara sea urchin beats Japanese sea urchin...maybe its the distance thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom