school me on sushi/sashimi (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had sushi a couple of times and liked it. I don't get to eat sushi often and want to make sure that I am trying new stuff and preperations everytime. If someone has a link to another site I am more than happy to do my own reading. Or general advise etc.

Thanks

Pat

I have had sushi a couple of times and liked it. I don't get to eat sushi often and want to make sure that I am trying new stuff and preperations everytime. If someone has a link to another site I am more than happy to do my own reading. Or general advise etc.

Thanks

Pat

Take it with LOTS of wasabi. :popcorn:

Thanks for the help so far. Maybe I would find what I am looking for more if I rephrased. What are your go to rolls or all time favorites?

Thanks again

Pat

Rolls are for folks who don't really like sushi. Just sayin.

Rolls are for folks who don't really like sushi. Just sayin.

I am a newb to this so I am not trying to be a smart a$$. What should I be trying? What does a connoisseur order?

I'm no expert, and I don't pretend to be. The following are some fish I think most people would like: yellow tail, salmon, tuna, halibut, sea bream, opal eye, sea bass. Freshness is key. If the place is busy, that's a good sign. You want a place that goes through a lot of fish.

it's easier for me to list the stuff I don't like... octopuss (like eating a tire) and whitefish (made me sick once upon a time)

Freshness is key.

+1, if you're thinking of sushi or sashimi as a trail meal, you'd better have a good cooler/fridge and plan on eating it the first night.

we just blackened Wahoo, raw in the middle like tuna, unbelievable like eating a top beef tenderloin.
Tune like that is awesome! Would like to try the wahoo.

I'm no expert, and I don't pretend to be. The following are some fish I think most people would like: yellow tail, salmon, tuna, halibut, sea bream, opal eye, sea bass. Freshness is key. If the place is busy, that's a good sign. You want a place that goes through a lot of fish.

I'm game to try most on that list. Would probably skip the salmon to avoid Nanophyetus salmincola , the parasite that causes salmon poisoning disease.

Butt

Another good sign is the absence of soy sauce on the tables and at the bar. That usually means the chef intends for you to eat it as he prepared it.

+1, if you're thinking of sushi or sashimi as a trail meal, you'd better have a good cooler/fridge and plan on eating it the first night.

And it would suck.

Another good sign is the absence of soy sauce on the tables and at the bar. That usually means the chef intends for you to eat it as he prepared it.

I've never heard of this and I've been eating Sushi for over 25 years.

I've been to some fairly high end places in New England and maybe a resort or two, but every one has always had soy sauce at the table or bar.

I've never heard of this and I've been eating Sushi for over 25 years.

I've been to some fairly high end places in New England and maybe a resort or two, but every one has always had soy sauce at the table or bar.

New one on me too.

half the reason i eat sushi is to get all jacked up on soy sauce.

have you tried the tobasco soy sauce?

it brings the yum....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom