school me on sushi/sashimi (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

im not a big tobasco guy.. can you taste the vinegary taste of tabasco in it or is it just salty heat??? If it's the latter, i'll give it a try.

salty soy heat, imo - but I love tobasco

To the OP: you just need to experiment until you find what you like. I'd avoid Whitefish and Mackerel until you get a little further down the road. Mackerel especially is very oily and "fishy," and can be a little strong if not super super fresh.

have you tried the tobasco soy sauce?

it brings the yum....

Oooo, I'll give it a try..

Our favorite:
veryasian_2112_116466463.jpg

Another good sign is the absence of soy sauce on the tables and at the bar. That usually means the chef intends for you to eat it as he prepared it.

I've never heard of this and I've been eating Sushi for over 25 years.

I've been to some fairly high end places in New England and maybe a resort or two, but every one has always had soy sauce at the table or bar.

New one on me too.

half the reason i eat sushi is to get all jacked up on soy sauce.

Putting soy sauce on quality sushi is like putting A1 sauce or ketchup on a quality steak. If you don't see soy sauce on the tables or at the bar, that usually means the chef has already seasoned the fish appropriately. Different fish get different seasoning.

Sushi makes the world go round, just sayin'.

Sushi is one of the few foods I'll really gorge myself on and get superfull and feel good a few hours later. Nigiri is my go to, maki less so. I especially love unagi (eel) and tuna. If I'm going to get a house roll the Volcano roll is usually predictably good most places, if not a bit heavy.

Sushi is with rice. Sashimi is without rice. I would avoid non pelagic fish when eating raw fish unless you catch it yourself. If you buy fish to make your own stuff make sure the tuna (if you buy it) looks red instead of pink. If it is a perfect pink color it has been dyed. Also, if it has no smell at all it has been bleached and is garbage.

Putting soy sauce on quality sushi is like putting A1 sauce or ketchup on a quality steak. If you don't see soy sauce on the tables or at the bar, that usually means the chef has already seasoned the fish appropriately. Different fish get different seasoning.

So Nobu is a crappy resturant?

Whether Nobu is or isn't a crappy restaurant isn't material.

All I'm saying is really good sushi is sometimes served with the expectation you will eat it as prepared because the chef has seasoned appropriately and sparingly that particular piece of fish. It doesn't need anything else, and adding soy sauce will diminish it. Sometimes less is more.

Do you always salt your food before tasting it?

nigiri is ball of rice with seafood on top. maki = rolls. sashimi is just the raw fish itself.

usual staples are things like salmon/tuna maki or nigiri, shrimp nigiri, dynamite roll (deep fried prawn in a reverse roll...rice on outside), california roll (crab + avocado), etc. usually found in sushi box combo's.

im not a fan of octopus or anything that takes 10 minutes to chew through. my faves for sure are dynamite rolls, ikura (large salmon egg), and saba (mackarel), and BC roll (smoked salmon). i like most of it all though. if you love seafood, youll like most of the different kinds of sushi.

and i like soy sause with wasabi mixed in....adds perfect kick to it. but then again, im a condiment kinda guy...but its not like i drown em in that s***.

Do you always salt your food before tasting it?

Nope, but I like the option of being able to salt my meal if I want.

My tastes may differ from the Chef's.

:meh:

So Nobu is a crappy resturant?

I have to say, we weren't impressed with Nobu, it was good, just not the best.

I love making up a paste of wasabi and soy sauce, its the only way to go :D

I have to say, we weren't impressed with Nobu, it was good, just not the best.

I love making up a paste of wasabi and soy sauce, its the only way to go :D

It's a name, and is reasonable. I'd never say any resturant is the best, I have not been to them all yet :D

Mmmm, I love that paste..

It's a name, and is reasonable. I'd never say any resturant is the best, I have not been to them all yet :D

Mmmm, I love that paste..

Our current favorite place is just downtown here. We asked for a spicy tuna roll, extra spicy and it came back with slices of jalapeno and that spicy red sauce on it. Fxxx it was good.

Stay away from Eel....the texture is terrible. Try sashimi...it's not a roll. So worth it!

Last edited:
Spicy scallop sushi w/ quail egg on top... good stuff..

Stay away from Eel....the texture is terrible. Try sashimi...it's not a roll. So worth it!
Eel is delicious, you're just a giant pussy. :flipoff2:

Eel is delicious, you're just a giant pussy. :flipoff2:

I agree. Freshwater eel is yummy. I think the saltwater eel is way too fishy. My local grocery store carries them whole/cooked which can save you $$$ if you like to eat tons of it. It is the exact eel you get from the restaurant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom