Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

15 second video

Observations:
  1. Louder at start up. Quieter and sometimes disappears intermittently when the engine is warm, especially when coasting.
  2. Will sometimes go quiet for a few seconds for no apparent reason - not the metronome- like tick I'm used to with a rod knock.
  3. Checked all of the plugs - All tight - nothing has backed out
  4. Fuel in the tank is 18 months+ old
  5. Vehicle still making good oil pressure, at least according to the dash gauge
  6. Makes very little power ... but that could just be a normal 1FZ :rofl:
  7. Previous owner put oil in "when the light came on" by their admission
  8. Oil is clean on the dipstick and reading "full"
  9. Just noticed the clean air hose (after the sensor) is split in half and letting additional air into the intake. Two pieces were touching, so didn't notice initially.
Has me wondering if new plugs, taping up the clean air intake hose and a bottle of octane boost is worth testing to rule out preingnition. When I heard "only filled oil when the light came on" my mind went immediately to a rod knock.

Sorry the video is a little large - No video editing software on this end.

Looks like an awesome platform to start with!

Have you pulled the valve cover and taken a look? All the valves moving freely and their clearances to spec? Check compression yet?

Have you changed the oil? Any sizeable metal floating around in the bottom of the pan?

First thought is the Power Steering Pump Gear with a dinged tooth. Typical after a PS replacement.

Any work done by the PO on the PS that you know of?
Second thought is someone left a bolt in a camshaft after a top end rebuild.
Get a $15 stethoscope from Harbor Freight and check around on the engine in various locations for the location of the knock.

Is there anything on the idler pulleys that could indicate this?

PO did almost no work to the vehicle other than put gas in it - Power steering doesn't look tampered with, but there's still a decent amount of caked on crud down there, so not 100% sure.

I threw new plugs, wires, cap and rotor on tonight, along with a jug of octane boost since I had them in the shop - No difference. Still making a racket. Apparently preignition wasn't the issue. Going to have it towed to Torfab at the end of the month and maybe they'll have a revelation that doesn't end in "bottom end knock, need a rebuild", but I'd be pretty surprised.

I have plenty to do before it's a driver anyway. May as well start working on the interior and the front axle while someone smarter than me is figuring out the engine, or spooling up for a conversion.

I think I found an air leak ...

IMG_20200706_195356.jpg

I think I found an air leak ...

Oof that'll do it.

I think I saw a no-name aftermarket one for $20 on amazon a while back...

Oof that'll do it.

I think I saw a no-name aftermarket one for $20 on amazon a while back...

I'm kinda partial to my duct tape though.

IMG_20200706_224830.jpg

Well, at least somebody did heater hose / valve work - worm clamps are the tipoff there.

Maybe it’s better than you know yet :meh:

Check the exhaust manifold bolts to make sure they are tight. also connection to the exhaust pipe heading to cats. If they are loose you can hear similar noises you describe.

I was going to say maybe your belts are bad, but that knock is pretty severe.

Stripped the interior and found almost $12.00 in change, about 30 fossilized tater tots, a half box worth of cheerios strewn everywhere and what I'm going to guess was a half dozen half eaten chocolate bars stuffed in the rear seat middle seatbelt well "saved for later". Neighbors were super happy that I did the work in the street too. Bagged the carpet and pad and took straight to the dump ... It smelled that bad.

View attachment 2362830

View attachment 2362831
Great save. Glad it's not going to the crusher. I personally would think hard about putting vinyl or some non-carpet material in there. I do not understand that a utility vehicle would have carpeting and leather seats. For me, it would be cloth (maybe vinyl) and definitely no carpet. That way, when there is a muddy mess or even spills and puking, it's not a big deal. My "cheerful and cheap" utility vehicle is a Honda Element, and frankly I LOVE that the interior is made of some rubbery/plasticky compound, it is REALLY easy to clean the insides.

15 second video

Observations:
  1. Louder at start up. Quieter and sometimes disappears intermittently when the engine is warm, especially when coasting.
  2. Will sometimes go quiet for a few seconds for no apparent reason - not the metronome- like tick I'm used to with a rod knock.
  3. Checked all of the plugs - All tight - nothing has backed out
  4. Fuel in the tank is 18 months+ old
  5. Vehicle still making good oil pressure, at least according to the dash gauge
  6. Makes very little power ... but that could just be a normal 1FZ :rofl:
  7. Previous owner put oil in "when the light came on" by their admission
  8. Oil is clean on the dipstick and reading "full"
  9. Just noticed the clean air hose (after the sensor) is split in half and letting additional air into the intake. Two pieces were touching, so didn't notice initially.
Has me wondering if new plugs, taping up the clean air intake hose and a bottle of octane boost is worth testing to rule out preingnition. When I heard "only filled oil when the light came on" my mind went immediately to a rod knock.

Sorry the video is a little large - No video editing software on this end.
I recommend doing a compression test, and also try Kano Labs' "Kreen". I'm wondering whether it is actually rod knock, especially since the knock is intermittent. If the bearings are shot, then I've always understood that the knock would persist. Kreen would act as an engine cleaner and it has helped me with my LC that was pretty carbon-fouled when I bought it.

Here's a good video of rod knock sound.

Take the carpet to the car wash and spare it till you run out of quarters. I pulled mine a few years ago because it was sticky. I laid it on the driveway and sprayed heavy amounts of dawn and lysol on the fabric and scrubbed it. The rinse looked like coca cola. I did this several times until the rinse was less dangerous and brown. Once dry, the carpet felt amazing and soft.

I'm wondering if the knocking sound might be the murder weapon from the crime scene in your interior?

What oil filter is/was on it?

Wix/NAPA Gold filters are known for failures. If you can document anything, you MAY get something out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom