Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Original Cruiser cylinders in the mid 70's were cast "Teq." My current one had them and was probably a low-use truck as it had all kinds of interesting original merch that has no function due to age, wheel cylinders are not going to last but a couple years, decades, ?. The ramps help keep the shoes centered and force slightly a bit to the non-pushing side. It is more important that you didn't incorrectly position the original ones if you happened to have them.

Can you finish my notes about where are the rear wheel cylinder adjusters, and what direction do they turn from birds-eye-view? Were my notes correct? I'm prepping to bleed them and adjust them if the weather holds up.
the front ones were correct on the notes. I think the rear ones were adjusting towards the axle. Ill double check this afternoon if I have time after my meeting. I just ordered a vacuum self bleeder to help me with the next time I have to bleed breaks. (if it works I have had bad luck in the past with these vacum self bleeders)

A package from Cruiser Corps came in today. I was very happy to see that they remanufacture the under windshield gasket for early fj40 land cruisers. I also Needed some new henge gaskets so I bought them at the same time.

Not sure when Ill install the under windsheild gasket. Probably whenever I decide to take the hard top off to do some repairs and to add the headliner.
IMG_0929.JPG

So thanks for everyone that helped with the breaks. (@wngrog , @Grayscale , @middlecalf , @Skreddy )100% my issues were the incorrectly adjusted breaks. Yesterday I adjusted them all where I could not spin the tire. I then bleed the breaks and then backed the adjusters off 3 clicks and now my breaks work better than ever. Admittedly this is my first all drums vehicle. One thing I really really like over disks is that you can change pads out quicker. Or maybe I just like the drum break system idk. It seems more simple. Bleeding breaks on any vehicle is not fun in my opinion.

I did a test drive too the beach and its running good and stopping good. I think I could bleed it one more time and it will be perfect. It is a little soft at the top of the pedal travel. But firms up quick.

my weekend project is to see if I can put the weather stripping above the windshield and the stripping below the windshield. I have no idea how it will go and might not happen this weekend. But its my goal. I will also finish my door weatherstripping This I have all set up, I just have not done it yet. Ill be sure to take photos of the mayhem.

Last edited:
I had some new brake shoes from a good vendor installed when I got mine on the road. Probably not a problem now, and for you, but, it is apparently not uncommon to see smoke off of new brake shoes. I got on the road during June and was descending from 10,000'+ to 7,000' within a 17-mile-stretch and was kinda embarrassed to be on the side of the road, next to the ranger station, smoking like that. Sometimes my drum brakes squeak and it is like a very faint memory of a sound that was probably common when I was a kid, as there were probably more drum brakes up front on the road. The front ones produce tons of dust, be sure any leaking knuckle oil doesn't make its way to the backing plate and the drum.

I had some new brake shoes from a good vendor installed when I got mine on the road. Probably not a problem now, and for you, but, it is apparently not uncommon to see smoke off of new brake shoes. I got on the road during June and was descending from 10,000'+ to 7,000' within a 17-mile-stretch and was kinda embarrassed to be on the side of the road, next to the ranger station, smoking like that. Sometimes my drum brakes squeak and it is like a very faint memory of a sound that was probably common when I was a kid, as there were probably more drum brakes up front on the road. The front ones produce tons of dust, be sure any leaking knuckle oil doesn't make its way to the backing plate and the drum.
When I took the front drums off, I would say at least a table spoon of dust came out. was surprising.

My grandfather had a 1950s GMC truck when I was younger. It looked alot like a 1954 or older (not really sure but it was pre Apache.) But that drum break squeak is kinda nostalgic. That was also a cool truck that probably had a strait 6 similar to the toyota one. Pretty sure it was a 2wd one. I think that truck ended its life as a farm truck in the mountains. Probably sitting under a tree somewhere now making an epic old truck scene. I would love one of these now even though I am a die hard toyota fan.

Did the door weather stripping yesterday after work. I still need to figure out around the door latch. was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Weatherstripping glue came from Cruiser Corps. IDK what that stuff is but its like weatherstripping super glue. Honestly awesome. Made it real quick.

I am not sure about above the door frame . I think I should have overlapped it a little. But oh well. Ill figure something out. Ill be sure to overlap it more on the passenger side. It does seem more quiet driving down the road. also Santa in the back ground holding on for dear life on a mini dihatsu fire truck. That little fire truck has only 6,000 miles! if I get to it today I may start trying to do the front top windshield gasket. I bought one from city racer. It would be nice not to get cold wind in my face. I really dont want to wait till summer for that. But we have a swell today and I might have to surf instead.... we will see

IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG

All the ones I've seen manage to stuff the weather strip behind the door striker piece. I didn't know that the upper frame on the top was stepped in like that. It looks good. Does the weather strip make the door bulge-out on the catch side?

I was using a 3M product for glue that was a real nightmare, complete bond to paint, next to nothing bonding to the weatherstrip. Glad the Cruiser Corps product works.

All the ones I've seen manage to stuff the weather strip behind the door striker piece. I didn't know that the upper frame on the top was stepped in like that. It looks good. Does the weather strip make the door bulge-out on the catch side?

I was using a 3M product for glue that was a real nightmare, complete bond to paint, next to nothing bonding to the weatherstrip. Glad the Cruiser Corps product works.
It does bulge a little more and certainly its a little more of an agressive door close now but it seems to be getting easier now as it compresses a little from sitting closed. I wonder if I adjust the henges if it would be better.

OMG the 3M weather adhesive romoval spray did not work that well... I eventually gave up on getting the old gasket glue residue off. But yeah that cruiser corps stuff is what I would recommend. No waiting it sets up quick. Its a two part glue. You put the glue on the weather stripping and then it comes with a spray that acts as a catalyst. I sprayed the door with the catalyst where the weather stripping was to go, stick the two together and it sets up in seconds after you join the two. Makes the clamps unnecessary.

These early fj40 doors are pretty unusual from what I have been reading.

Is that your red mini truck that sits outside of the surf shop?

Oh, and following along...
Yes its my dads mini truck. Ride the Wind is the family business! Its fun to drive. I borrow it often haha. Borrowed it last week when I was fixing my breaks. I actually really want to get one of these just as a little back up truck to use for trash and just an extra vehicle. Come say hi next time you are on Ocracoke!

I went down the rabbit hole today.... Ended up that the surf was getting blown out so I did some repairs... one thing led to another and then the top some how had been taken off haha. I wanted to replace the gasket under the windshield frame. I am glad I did. It was really gross and starting to see some really bad rust under there. No holes yet but bad scalling. I cleaned it all up and threw some rust converter on it. while I waited for the rust converter to dry I decided to take it for a spin with the windshield folded down. OMG its so fun! I am probably going to have the windshield down all summer haha. too bad its winter..

IMG_0972.JPG

Took a wire brush and cleaned all the rust up. it was worse under the gasket.. RIP gasket. I threw that one away and replaced it with a reproduction one from Cruiser Corps.
IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_5334-preview.JPG

While I was out I stopped to see my fiance at work. and we got a picture. We both installed the wreath on the front. Looks good for the Holliday season.

Is that your red mini truck that sits outside of the surf shop?

Oh, and following along...
My mom has a little Subaru kei truck. I’d love to put a small lift and some 31” mudders on it and use it for cruising forest roads.

Sorry, back to 40 stuff. It’s looking awesome!

I once did some pretty heavy wheeling without hood hooks. Broke my windshield when the frame took some air and returned down with an impact and twist.
Exactly what I do not want to happen!

This brings me to the next thing I wanted some input on. I would really like to add the hood hooks and pads to this fj40. I feel like this would offend lots of purist however I would love the functionality of it. I have seen the early pads for sale. does anybody here know what I need for hooks and hook attaching points? also any thoughts?

My mom has a little Subaru kei truck. I’d love to put a small lift and some 31” mudders on it and use it for cruising forest roads.

Sorry, back to 40 stuff. It’s looking awesome!
They are really fun to drive. You feel like you are going so fast then you realize you are going 35 haha. this fire truck we did a cheep 1 inch lift and some bigger atv tires and Its fantastic on the beach now. however the cheep lift some times makes the suspension bottom out and thats not great.

Is there a pic of the inner side of the windshield frame? There needs to be a spot to catch them on.
It makes sense if you already have the hinges, I'm sure Toyota wouldn't be offended at this point.

Is there a pic of the inner side of the windshield frame? There needs to be a spot to catch them on.
It makes sense if you already have the hinges, I'm sure Toyota wouldn't be offended at this point.
I am not seeing any catch on them. Can you buy those catches? if so I am wondering how you would attach. plug welding? Also Hopfully that top of the windsheild frame weather stripping is oriented Correctly. I think @middlecalf you had been through this. Is this correct? I
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom