Sad day with my new(ly wrecked) FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Four days in... I don't even have my title yet. I'm driving down the highway with my girlfriend and out of nowhere my rear driver side wheel snaps at the hub at 40mph. I calmly grind to a halt, sparks flying, I see my wheel go flying down the highway past me.

Luckily no one was hurt, but the cruiser didn't fare too well and now I'm feeling under water. :(
image-3853905515.jpg
image-3303892128.jpg
image-3894335211.jpg

Glad no one was hurt. I'm sure you're feeling pretty stressed and bummed out but on the brighter side, judging from the pictures, that won't be to much of an issue to fix. It could have been way worse.

Im glad you guys are ok! Got Insurance? Comprehensive?

If not, grab a hammer and Dolley and pound that fender out. Have the axle checked for and remove and replace if needed. Did someone just install the wheels. It looks like studs were over torqued with an impact wrench. I would be calling that garage.

Im glad you guys are ok! Got Insurance? Comprehensive?

If not, grab a hammer and Dolley and pound that fender out. Have the axle checked for and remove and replace if needed. Did someone just install the wheels. It looks like studs were over torqued with an impact wrench. I would be calling that garage.

I can't tell if the remaining studs are stripped or not? Could be that the nuts just backed off.

Did you have OEM or aftermarket wheels? Perhaps aluminum ones?

That sucks. Ist thing I'd is order quarter panel, then get to work checking/ replacing all the lug bolts. Oh yeh go looking for my wheel down the street. Could have turned out way worse..

Ah, that's nothing, time for a spring over and a comp cut!

Did someone just install the wheels. It looks like studs were over torqued with an impact wrench. I would be calling that garage.

X2...once a bolt (stud) has been stretched beyond it's yield point (over torque) it will not return to it's normal state. I would check the torque on the others and if they are grossly over tightened I would replace them as well.

Did you tighten those lugs yourself ?
or did you have it done at the tire shop ?
if the tire shop did it they may have over torqued the lugs
you could ask to see verification that the torque wrench they used was recently calibrated
if that cannot be demonstrated you may have a claim
Glad no one was hurt and your FJ40 is not in too bad a shape
Alan

I literally picked it up 4 days ago. It has aftermarket wheels. I don't know where those wheels were put on but after I get the estimate I will be calling the PO. I'm guessing he'll say he knew nothing about like he did with some other issues I found. Between this, the wiring, brake booster, master cylinder and clutch master and slave cylinders all need replacing, I have some issues. The cop said the spacer on the wheel probably put too much strain on it and snapped it. He said that it was the 3-4th one he saw this week.

Also, my girlfriend loves the Landcruiser. Just not when wheels are falling off. :)

This is the spacer they think caused stress and snapped it. Thoughts?
That spacer looks like it is several inches long. Way bad news. I would guess that someone (PO?)tried to make the wrong wheels fit the rig by spacing them way out too far. Possible Liability there. Most of us are very cautious about using 1 -1.5" spacers for street applications. John

I don't know if it's just the angle or what... but that is the largest spacer I've ever seen. Glad everyone is ok!

This is the spacer they think caused stress and snapped it. Thoughts?

'They' are right. That caused the wheel to come off and you are really lucky the wheel did not hit anyone after it went walkabout. NEVER use wheel spacers.

This was NOT the Cruiser's fault; this was the fault of the moron that put those spacers on. Fix the Cruiser correctly and it will last forever and never let you down.

Josh

First, I want t know how the wheel "snapped off" and had three studs intact?
There lies the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom