Sabo's 89 4Runner Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got my 1989 4Runner SR5, V6, Manual, after looking for about two months. I live in the mid-west (for the next year or so), so it's slim pickings. Took delivery on the 4th of July in a dimly lit Home Depot parking lot with an exhausted looking big rig driver. It's been a California car all its life and is rust, accident and smoke free. It is not, however, hoodlum impact free. At some point one of the PO's blacked everything out and installed a massive stereo. Not good.

Plans:

Exterior : Put the truck back to stock appearing, with the exception of the lift already on it and the pearl / metallic white paint it has. I'm going to do graphics, but not sure which ones yet. Either the 1987-1988 SR5 graphics or an Ivan Steward tribute set on quarters / hood. I'm not a fan of the factory 89 graphics. I already removed the hideous LED lighting. I have the B Pillar panels with new badges, but am waiting on the new clips to put them on. A lot of the weatherstripping is brittle / old / cracked and needs to be replaced.

Interior: Stock grey. Need to fix a hacked drivers sail panel, cracked dash, inop horn, aftermarket immobilizer, faded steering wheel, and a few other things. The center console lid is missing and the console was painted by someone who believed primer grey matched just great. The drivers sail panel was cut up for a massive subwoofer box. The hooligans.

Mechanical: 5VZ swap in the future. The 3.0 has 283,400, but I have receipts showing the heads / timing belt / water pump was all repaired / replaced at 255,000. It needs a tune up, but runs fine. The PO put a terrible dual exhaust with chrome 3" tips that is awful. The 5 speed shifts fine. It does leak oil from the pinion seal and either the cam seals or rear main; can't tell yet. It has a K&N open filter that I want to get replaced with a factory airbox. I had it checked out by a mechanic before the purchase, so I think it's sound mechanically.

Wheels / Tires: Keeping tire size at 31x10.5x15. The PO hosed down the gambler wheels with a rattle can, like he did everything else shiny on the truck. I bought SR5 wheels, which I already cleaned up and painted. I'm waiting for a sale on BFG All Terrains to put on the SR5's.

Suspension: It's got a lift, but no idea what it is. Seller claimed "OME", but I don't think so. Shocks say Rancho. My calibrated eyeball says its a 2" lift, but could be more. I'll keep it a this height. Also plan on converting to manual Aisin hubs.

That's about it. I'll get a soft top for it too, as the kids will enjoy some convertible wheeling.

Pics are of it as it came off the delivery truck.
195.JPG
172.JPG
176.JPG
200.JPG

168.JPG

Picked up quite a few parts yesterday from a completely rusted out 88 parts truck. Got the main stuff I came for (good cargo panel), but the exhaust heat shield has seen better days ;).

Also found out that my ignition lock won't hold the key in place. You can remove the key even when the trucks running. I really don't want to replace the ignition cylinder and have a separate key for the ignition. Any ideas? Not sure if a locksmith can fix the cylinder.
Parts1.jpg

I seem to recall that sometimes the problem is not the cylinder, but the worn out keys. You can get a fresh new key made with the key code. You can find the key code stamped on the passenger side door lock cylinder. I would start with this easy fix before sourcing a cylinder. You might need to have the cylinder pins replaced to match the fresh cut key.

20191217_071605-blackout-sm.jpg

You’ve got a good starting point there. I’m partial to ‘89 V6s as well. Mine had been attacked by the black wheel and rattle can too. You can get past that. Removing the LED headlights is the best mod ever! I personally don’t mind the removable ignition key thing. You can put them in the console when wheeling for rattle elimination...

A pic for soft top inspiration.
8521F808-22FF-4A2F-97A8-04CC70B588FC.jpeg

Joseywales, great looking 4Runner and I approve of the soft top.

Made some more progress today. I've found pretty good color matches for 2 of the 3 greys Toyota uses on the 87-89 4Runner, but I'm not sure on the light grey.

Here's what I've found:
Dark Grey - Used on dash, kick panels, rear cargo panels, center console, other... - Duplicolor VHT 111 is a close match, so is SEM 39183
Medium Grey - Used on the inside of the fiberglass top trim, SEM 17303 a good match
Light Grey - Used on carpeting / fabric. Don't have a match.

Unfortunately my carpeting as a big rust stain on it I can't get out, so I figured some fabric / vinyl paint would solve the problem. Anyone know a good color match?

I tried scrubbing it with laundry stain cleaner, but the carpet just falls apart and does little else.

Rear_Carpet.jpg

Did a bunch more work to the truck. Here's the speaker mounts my daughter and I made for some JBL component 6.5's. I've got JBL 4" speakers in the front, all run off an Alpine deck. Sounds really good for running everything off the deck. These pictures are of things mock-fit. I ended up using a new piece of 1/2" MDF for the PS mount. I did have to use a 1" plastic spacer on the upper mound to set the speakers far enough back to clear the quarter panel covers.

DS_Rear_Speaker.jpg
PS_Rear_Speaker.jpg

So new tires showed up today. Exactly 3 new 31x10.5 BFG All Terrains. No ETA on the 4th one.... Not cool. I replaced the clutch master cylinder over the weekend as the existing (aftermarket) one had failed where the pushrod meets the clevis. Got the brand new Aisin master bled and working well, except now my clutch is slipping. To be fair, I don't have any miles on the truck and it could have been slipping already. I went ahead and adjusted the clutch pedal using specs from the FSM, and it was definitely out of spec. Finished after dark so we will see tomorrow if that fixes it.

Here's how it's sitting now.

09854.jpg

Also over the weekend I replaced my cracked dash pad with a accuform dash cap. Here's the dash before pad install. The PO put some type of epoxy over the cracks that had the finish of a pre-school art project. I'll post up pics tomorrow of the finished product. It did take some trimming with the dremel for the instrument cluster cover to fit correctly over the cap.

Dash_Crack.jpg

Finally tackled the center console lid today. I have zero upholstery experience so I've been putting this off. Took me about 2 hours with Super 77 adhesive, an old bath mat (memory foam doner) and a lid from an 88 4Runner, plus the cover kit from eBay. This was not an "easy job". I attempted to get the wife to do it for me.....that failed. Tried to take it to an upholstery shop, but they shut down for the pandemic. Not perfect, but way better than no lid.

Started with memory foam

014.JPG

Cut away the foam and added to the lit. Attached with 3M Super 77 adhesive. This ended up being too much foam and I had to cut more away from the sides.
Here's where I attached the foam. I did two inches total.

Memory Foam Stripped.jpg

Complete

Console Finished.jpg

Before
Before Console.jpg

After

After Console.jpg

Dash pad looks good. Interested on how that went. How are the edges around the vents? Closer pics would be great. Thanks!

Dash pad looks good. Interested on how that went. How are the edges around the vents? Closer pics would be great. Thanks!
At first I thought no cutting would be involved, but when I tried to fasten down my instrument cluster hood and it didn't fit anymore. I had to take out the dremel and grind away 1/8" or so around the radius of where the dash cap went under the hood. After that it fit fine. Of course I used the dremel to remove the raised portions of the cracks on the dash.

Better pic of the area around the vents. A casual observer wouldn't know it was a dash cap. You can tell if you know what to look for.

Dash Cap Vents.jpg

Last edited:
This option is better than the other dash covers I’ve seen being that it only covers the main pad and not the cluster. Thanks for the heads up.

I have the same partial dash overlay and love it.
99188B96-483D-4387-B610-68C4A6EBFAB0.jpeg

Soft tops on these trucks are the best.
DC6181A6-01E9-495D-AB0B-81681FC0CDED.jpeg

Your 4Runner is really nice.

I'd have to agree with @Toast - I did the full coverage dash cap. On the cluster side, it's more apparent that it's not stock.

IMG_6625.jpeg
IMG_7560.jpeg

When are you going to get around to installing that pad you got lying around?!
Uh... I got nothin. It IS going to happen... I'll post pics... really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom