Runs for the fourth Saturday of every month. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the meeting tonight everyone was brainstorming new ideas – here is mine.

Runs on the fourth Saturday of every month. Idea is to let everyone know ‘a’ date for wheeling and then take input as to where we will go.

Destination to be announced.

As these runs are not run by management, the general idea is as follows:
1. Not stocker friendly, which is not to say the run is stocker unfriendly. It’s just that the trails are ones that we want to run, not trials that we can guarantee are stocker friendly.
2. No guarantees. This is an adventure. We get lost or have to turn back, then we get lost or have to turn back.

First monthly scheduled run January 28, 2012. As the fourth Saturday is a week from tomorrow, I’m going to suggest the first monthly schedule run on January 28, 2012 as box canyon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjxJUllgQV8&feature=related

If anyone has run this recently, or has input, post it up. Meeting time/place to be announced.

with a link like that im for sure in!! Awesome video, who made that? ;)

I did Box Canyon and Cottonwood about 4 months ago in my 'almost' stock FJC. No problem. In the YouTube video Cook posted it looks like some of those folks took the more challenging line in a couple of places. Not that it's easy. But it's stocker friendly. At least it was when I went thru there.

Great run, great area

This area is on State Trust Land and requires a STL permit for legal travel.
In the early years of CSC a permit was included with membership. Laws have since changed and a group permit is no longer available. It is now each CSC members responsibility to purchase an individual permit or family permit <suggested.

ASLD Recreational Permit

State Trust Land Map

FWIW - I have done Box Canyon in a stock 100 series

aztony STL.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW

If rides can be planned ahead of time, that is great for the people that need to arrange time to take off, structure is good a good practice.

Even if the destination is not known when the plan is made, not a problem as the details can be ironed out as the ride approaches.

There are some club members that have stockers or not locked that like to get out as well as the rest of the group so I believe they need to be kept in mind as well (equal opportunity for all club members).

Perhaps a post up of the upcoming ride and everyone interested replies that they are in and provide details of their rig (tire size and lockers or not) and a decision can be made on what type of ride to make depending on the intended attendee's. Of course to make this work there will need to be deadlines (within reason) put in place to post up your intentions so as the plans can be made appropriately. If there is an equal diversity in capability and ride interest, two separate rides can be arranged with stocker friendly ride and not stocker friendly ride.

This would be the best way to be all inclusive for each club members interest so as to keep all the club members active.

I think back to when I first joined and was not capable to hang and was envious each time a ride was planned and I knew I was either not capable or would be a burden to the rest of the group. I was also worried about slowing down the group because I was inexperienced (I still have a lot to learn). The only way to get that experience is to have seat time on the trail.

I am in for the 28th :bounce: :steer: :bounce2:

For those that seem it is necessary to have an impromptu ride and post up last minute plans is fine but plan on riding alone as everyone can not get out at any time due to family commitments, work or vehicle not ready. ;)

Well said Tony.

An added bonus of wheeling with experienced wheelers like Kevin, Phil and others is that they are excellent spotters who teach along the trail. The guidance provided by our Club leadership has greatly improved Wheeling ability of many club members. If you are unsure of your rig or ability, sometimes riding along with another member can be the best teacher, ask if someone has an open seat and be respectful.

Count me in as a maybe at this time, my schedule changes frequently depending on the needs of da man.

I will be out there, either in Box or Cottonwood canyon on a work detail for OHVA that day. We are supposed to put up a kiosk, plant some other signs, and pick up trash, just like TRAL, just a different landlord. John

At the last meeting we were talking about marking trails, well how about geocaching?

Brit and I took our kids out and everyone had a ball. I’m looking into getting a Copper State Cruiser token made up so we can place a cache of our own in box canyon.

If anyone has a suggestion for where to place the cache let me know.

I thinks its great to have a dedicated run once a month. The only issue I see is everyone is not always available on Sat due family obligations,school, and kids in sports. As I said last night leave it to the run leader of the month to pick a day. By mixing it up a little it opens opportunities to everyone.

Discuss...

:confused: how can you not find Box Canyon [:shaking head:]

ohv-box-coke-map.gif

rewatching the video, I remembered how we had to go pull out the guy who stuck his full size Bronco in the bottom of a wash , with his family, by them selves, no water or food.

We found him walking along a quiet backroad looking for help and it was getting late in the afternoon.

:doh:

Csc good deed of the day.

At the last meeting we were talking about marking trails, well how about geocaching?

Brit and I took our kids out and everyone had a ball. I’m looking into getting a Copper State Cruiser token made up so we can place a cache of our own in box canyon.

If anyone has a suggestion for where to place the cache let me know.

So, now you want to add littering to our bag of tricks?:hillbilly:

...As the fourth Saturday is a week from tomorrow, I’m going to suggest the first monthly schedule run on January 28, 2012 as box canyon:

If anyone has run this recently, or has input, post it up. Meeting time/place to be announced.

Could you please add more font magic, so your posts are even harder to quote?:eek::hillbilly:

I would suggest starting a new thread for the run, so it doesn't have the monthly run discussion mixed in?

Box Canyon is totally stocker friendly. After the canyon, the step on Box Canyon Rd is likely stocker doable with good spotting, for stockers it would be easier downhill, N to S. The canyon itself is short, with great views, only maybe half an hour, we often use it as out exit road from other trails.

There are tons of other trails in the area. Could come in Sandman, go over the top and come out the canyon. All great views, avoids the step, but still would be short? Could proceed north past the step and there is plenty of optional rock play in the washes, Ajax, Woodpecker, etc. Could go out Ajax then Telegraph to Superior, great views, run, maybe a bit long? There are lots of options in the area.

As Phil said the permit is required. IIRC, it is good for family members in one rig, if any other guests ride along, they also need separate permits.

Price Rd has been paved to the ranch, so less dusty driving.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom