Rough country lift info needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help please. I bought a used lift for my 1969 Fj40. I did not receive the shims for the front and back springs. Anybody have photos of the shims? What's the angle of the shim? Are the ones supplied buy RC good or can improvements be made?
Cheers Dennis.

...via IH8MUD app

4" lift. Called rough country and they said it comes with 6 degree shim. I bought used and did not get any shims.

...via IH8MUD app

Maybe someone in the know could also tell us if you need shims for a 2.5in lift. I think I saw somewhere on mud that you're good without till you go to a 4in lift.

...via IH8MUD app

Really, I have a 4" Rough Country lift and there where no shims. I installed it about 2 years ago.

I bought a 4" RC lift for my 40 new, and there were no shims. Ran the lift for a couple of years with no problem from the lack of shims.

I looked at the rears I installed with no shim and propeller shaft angle was good. I like I said RC instructions say add shim. I'll do the front and look at propeller shaft angle and decide from there. Did anybody remove a spring out of the lift to soften the ride?
Cheers Dennis.

...via IH8MUD app

Shims don't come with any kit I've ever seen from rough country. That being said you typically only need shims when you use extended shackles which changes the drive angle.

Shims don't come with any kit I've ever seen from rough country. That being said you typically only need shims when you use extended shackles which changes the drive angle.

^^^ This. Caster correction shims do exactly what the name implies - correct caster angle after it has been changed by extending the shackles, reversing the shackles, extending the spring mounts, etc. A spring with more arch (ie: a lift spring) should not change the caster angle significantly, or at all, if you are still running stock-length shackles. As long as the driveshafts aren't at too extreme an angle, you should be golden without caster shims.

I bought a new RC 4" kit 16 years ago, they did not come with shims. I also installed 1.5" longer ConFer shackles in front, 2.5" ConFer shackles in rear. I bought the shims from SOR way back then for the front...it is to correct the steering geometry, but I don't remember the degrees, I'm thinking 4* but not sure. I've never had any steering issues or tire wear problems.

I put a 4 inch hell creak lift under mine and I'm haveing problems with the steering with death wobble. I put 4* caster shims in and it seemed to help and I swapped from a 33x13.5 to a stock size. And that seemed to help the most. Also I have stock length anti inversion shakels and sag p/s but I can tell the steering is not right

Last edited:
Thanks all. Sounds like I don't need to worry. I'm going to just install the front and that will be all.
Cheers Dennis.

...via IH8MUD app

I have stock length anti inversion shackles. I have the 4 inch rough country and it did not come with shims.

However, I need shims in the rear. I am going to remove a leaf to change the spring rate enough so the springs will compress. I have it loaded with a spare tire and hard top and my angles are 90 degrees. It is not until I get an extra 350 pounds in the car that the spring compresses enough for the angle to improve and the ride is good.

I am mainly removing the spring leaf because once I remove the top and doors the angles will be inverted.

I have stock length anti inversion shackles. I have the 4 inch rough country and it did not come with shims.

However, I need shims in the rear. I am going to remove a leaf to change the spring rate enough so the springs will compress. I have it loaded with a spare tire and hard top and my angles are 90 degrees. It is not until I get an extra 350 pounds in the car that the spring compresses enough for the angle to improve and the ride is good.

I am mainly removing the spring leaf because once I remove the top and doors the angles will be inverted.

Please post up how this turns out, I am in the same boat with the same lift.

If you do put shims in the front it will only make the drive shaft angle worse, they are not made to correct the shaft angle but like said above the caster angle, and that almost always makes the drive shaft angle worse. Fat end of shim goes in the front on the front of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom