2F Price Check and Need To Know Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This wasn’t really in my immediate plans, but I happened upon a 2F near me and I’m going to set up a time to go look at it. Here are the details:

1985 2F with 244K miles
Includes H42 transmission but not the transfer case
Engine is still in the truck and the seller has a video of it running

What’s a reasonable offer for this package?
What else do I need to know about swapping my 1972 1F for this? I’m assuming my transfer case will work, right? What else?

85, if all original, would be a split case t-case. In that case, your current t-case would not mate to that 4 speed transmission.
That engine will bolt to your current bellhousing, etc but to run that 4 speed you need a new t-case.

As for offer, I’d want to do a compression check and hear/ see it running in person to check for smoke, noises, etc. I like to see a cold start in person as well. Any engine I can’t see run I treat as a core and price accordingly.

Who cares what is 'fair', get the best price you can...if you miss out because someone else bought it, that's because you weren't aggressive enough or you were competing with too many folks.

@Skreddy is right, compression test is most important. Then look to see how original the motor is. A lot of parts will work with your truck but it won't be a direct drop in without getting some parts like bellhousing and potentially adding split case parking brake assy, assuming you are getting an early H42/splitcase combo.

All the details have been covered, heavily. A quick search will yield all your answers, so read up!.

I care what’s “fair” as in fair market price. Since I don’t know what that is and my search didn’t yield any useful information, I asked the community that consists of people much more familiar with what the market is for a 2F in this condition. The reason I care is that it will help me determine how I negotiate and get the price I’m comfortable with or know if I need to walk away from a bad deal.

Thanks for the help on the other details. I will definitely be researching what else I will need for this swap.

That's a lot miles on a tractor motor. Be sure and hook up a direct read oil pressure gauge while you crank it over to test compression.

For what it’s worth, it’s listed at $4K and I saved it 3 months ago so that tells me there’s no interest for one reason or another. I obviously think that’s too high so I’m trying to get help in where to start my offer if I decide to make one

4k's too much. If its still in the frame I'd want to personally want to hear it run and do a compression test. Only then can you make a fair offer. If he's not willing to do that then I would consider it a non running engine and offer accordingly.

I paid $2800 for a 1983 2f all accessories and bell housing. Supposedly 53k original mile fj60, but that is still hard for me to believe. Motor compressions all 150, all cylinders still have cross hatch and motor has good oil pressure. Sold all accessories so have about 2k in it.

If I were looking with that description, I’d be passing for anything advertised over $1000 unless I was in desperate need for one. $4000 is rebuilt engine with a warranty territory.

The last one local to me that I was tempted to buy was $600 for a running 2F out of an FJ60.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The seller states he’s willing to work on price as he “doesn’t really know what the market is for these things.” However, with the high mileage, and the fact that I really wasn’t ready for this project, I think I’m going to put this plan aside for now. At least now I have a lot better information to go on when the time comes!

One thing not mentioned is 85 had two different H42s in the US market. Later has a dummy spacer on the back. Unless plan on a future H55F wouldn't put one in a short wheel base FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom