Rims don’t fit full float axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought some rims online for a 6x139.7 and 106 wheel hub. The rims have a lip at the end for the center cap that drops it down to roughly 95mm. Now that is a problem for my full float axle and manual hubs. Unfortunately I had the tires mounted on the rims and now I’m not eligible for a refund. There is nothing on the website that says the rims won’t accept manual hubs on either the manufacturers site or the website I bought off of. A tire shop recommended the rims and they would have had the same problem if I bought from a local shop.
Anybody have this problem before? And did they get their money back? I feel like it’s false advertisement Because only part of the rim is the correct hub diameter and nowhere it’s stated that it isn’t. I’m kicking myself for not taking the caps off and trying them before sending them to get mounted

AAD1C689-B60A-4272-BAFB-2190DBBC9696.jpeg

89771C97-07D0-47D4-8975-0CB9F8895EF1.jpeg

3E4AD39C-9B4D-4743-BCCD-F2954FAE1889.jpeg

Backspacing is at 0, but I can solve the issue with 2.5” wheel spacers. Just not stoked on the wheel poke. I thought about machining the lip down but doesn’t leave much around the lug nut. I would be worried about what’s left breaking off. It wouldn’t effect The wheel holding on but would look like junk. As for it being the wrong styling, I’m not a purist and I like the looks of them

I'm Warming up to the idea of machining the lip off. I’m not building the truck to be restored so I don’t need factory looking rims. I’m in Canada as well which presents its own challenges. Exchange rate, shipping and duty make those rims a lot more expensive than the sticker price.

Just get a die grinder with an alloy burr and run it around a few times problem fixed.

Large file? Die grinder? Oscillating drum sander with grease on course paper to avoid the aluminum clogging paper.

I’ve machined a lot of wheels over the years you’ll be there for a month of Sunday’s with a die grinder. A machine shop will do them fairly reasonably priced but you probably will have to remove the tires.

SCS Wheels
You could employ the dangerous but works method of mount the wheel on standard rear end. Jack one corner up. Drum sander or burr bit on die grinder. Block other 3 tires. Engine running in first gear.
Wheel will have constant rotation while you grind. Try not to break a limb.

Spent the better part of the day with a flap wheel on a die grinder. Got the rims to fit, sure not impressed with mayhem rims though. 106 hub means 105.2-105.6 to them I guess. Not one rim was 106, the worst was off by .8 of a mm, not much but still needed to be flap wheeled out. Don’t mind the box being crooked, I still have to chop the back of the frame off and I have the box shimmed up to clear the frame.

F3D370A1-205B-4FA6-A8AB-722F209110D7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom