Reversing direction on a Saginaw power steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Heya

Anyone know if it's possible to rearrange the internals on a Saginaw power steering box, to reverse the motion of input vs output shaft rotation? I've seen write-ups on manual boxes, but not power.

Thanks!

Calvin

Yuk yuk yuk ;)

Thanks for the rapid response, but it's a smidge more complicated than that. (Deep breath....)

... I'm in the middle of a power steering upgrade on my 55. The box I have, recently refurbished, points backwards and turns correctly (i.e. CW steering wheel means I turn right!). I don't like where the Pitman is relative to my tie rod - I fear it'll smash when the springs are fully compressed. That being said, I'd like to point the Pitman forward - more drag link angle but A-OK on clearance. A good trade.

Of course, if I just point the Pitman forward then the steering WILL be wrong, hence my simplified question above. If I point it forward I need to reverse it somehow. I know I can buy a new box but I'd like to make what I have work. What I have is from a late 70's Jeep, purchased as a refurb from Rock Auto; I sought that particular model because it's the casting with (4) mounting holes instead of just (3) - good for me since I can only get to (3) with my adapter plate as is.

I also have a junk box that points forward. I could rip those internals out and put it into the current housing (leaving me with the 4 mounting hole option), but I've no idea what the internals look like.

... Clear as MUD?

EDIT: I think I'm being, erm, mentally challenged. I doubt you could really "reverse" any sort of internals - the manual boxes are "reversed" by swinging the input shaft out the far end of the box, leaving you with a hole to plug. I think I've answered my own question, here.

I know it can be done, but I don’t know how. I assume it involves swapping internals.

I did a Saginaw conversion on a 55 about 25 years ago using a Scout type box, and my local rebuilder(long gone now) accidentally sold me a reverse rotation box, which I did not discover until EVERYTHING was installed!:mad:
I of course raised hell.

Three hours later I had a box that rotated properly.

IIRC, they said they used internals from a Ford truck. I do not know this for a fact. But I have always BELIEVED it to be true.

I know it can be done, but I don’t know how. I assume it involves swapping internals.

I did a Saginaw conversion on a 55 about 25 years ago using a Scout type box, and my local rebuilder(long gone now) accidentally sold me a reverse rotation box, which I did not discover until EVERYTHING was installed!:mad:
I of course raised hell.

Three hours later I had a box that rotated properly.

IIRC, they said they used internals from a Ford truck. I do not know this for a fact. But I have always BELIEVED it to be true.

Awesome, appreciate the input. I found another fragment of a thread where @cruiseroutfit said swapping shafts was straightforward, but no detail beyond that. Kurt, care to chime in?

I've swapped sectors, ported many boxes for ram-assist, etc but never tried to reverse rotation, it's would require an opposite ramped grooves on the wormshaft. There might be direct applications for it?

This part would need to be opposite

IMG_4508.JPG

I ordered a box from napa years ago to replace the squirrelly j**p wagoneer box I used initially on my conversion. It was for a ford van as I recall but it had the correct input shaft and 4.25 turns. After assembly I started it up and backed out of the garage and it turned backwards. It was a reverse rotation box... I ended up returning it and having a box custom built with the correct input shaft splines to match my shaft and 4.25 turns.
HTH,
Will

Thanks everyone. This does indeed help. I plan to give it a shot and will report back here.

It's probably best practice to install new seals and such while I'm at it... just watch, in the end I'll have spent enough to warrant just buying the correct refurbished box to begin with :meh: But what's the fun in that!?

-Calvin

You can use a Chevy Astro van box. Looks like yours but is used with the pitman arm facing forward.

70's Ford Pickup truck or early Bronco boxes work as well as the above mentioned Scout box, all forward swing.

Another popular option is to use a 60 or 80 series box. I believe IPOR sells a kit with all the brackets needed to install it.

I ran the astro van box for a while and it worked well. I have since installed the mini truck box and like it also. The mini box is not as powerful as the astro van box so I think it has a better feel. Soon to be installing an oem fj40 power steering box built from a new case and mini truck internals.

@DoubleNickels Yes. The internals are available. I've have Benchworks Steering do a couple in the past. Cars like the late 80's Camaros were reverse rotation.
I' did two projects in the last twenty years that required mounting the box behind the tie rod. Same case, different internals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom