Guidance on shocks 1969 FJ40 stock suspension (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy Cruiser heads! I am wondering if these shocks will fit. They seemed to be the correct shock, although not OEM. Another forum suggested this was a comparable shock to OEM and they were a good enough price to consider going with the KYB. However, not if these don't fit. Measuring the frame sitting by itself, no body on it, front shock length is 16.5" and rear is 17.5" however the shocks come compressed at 13.5" for the smaller one, and 18 3/8" for the longer one. I assume the longer ones are for the back but they are much smaller in diameter than the other old pair. Just confused. Any help deciphering if I got the right shocks would be helpful, need to send back if not. Thanks in advance!
IMG_6114.JPG
IMG_6113.JPG
IMG_6064.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

Last edited:
Amazon has these with free shipping and free returns.

If you're pretty much stock, stock recommendations should work. They usually have enough travel to accommodate some variations, for example some mfgs like the Bilsteins I used upfront say their product covers a "0-2" lift." I used KYBs in the rear, but after measuring I ended up getting a longer version as I have 2" lift springs. They were stamped "Made in Japan." If you are looking at the rear, the shock mounting point moves depending on if it is on the perch (earlier) or the u bolt plate (later.) KYB has a nice online catalog with part numbers, compressed and extended lengths, and end style.

There are a lot of variables such as lift vs spring sag, if you have additional weight up front like a winch/bumper or less weight with an engine swap. Same for the rear such as hard top and big tire carrier/cooler carrier vs topless. The best way is to measure... Unfortunately this is something you likely wont be able to do until after you get weight on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom